View Full Version : DaVinci Resolve 11.1 and 11.1 Lite available

Battle Vaughan
September 13th, 2014, 06:11 PM
Blackmagic Designs has posted updates to DaVinci Resolve at their website for those who may be interested. (Usual disclaimer, no affiliation) The free lite version is quite nice. The full version is still expensive but has a bunch of new features.

Phil Goetz
September 20th, 2014, 12:35 PM
Question.

Wondering about running the following setup:

11.1 Lite on a new iMac
Thunderbolt out to this: Blackmagic Design BDLKULSDZMINMON (UltraStudio Mini Monitor Playback Device)
HDMI out from that to this HP 27" Z27X DreamColor LED Backlit Professional LCD Display

2 questions:

1. 11.1 Lite is great for doing the basics with 1080, right? Pretty much fully featured for editing and grading? I am not worrying about kicking out DCP files or anything.

2. Can I monitor audio in resolve over the headphone jack? UltraStudio only has embedded HDMI audio out. I could connect speakers to the HP monitor, it has 1 x analog audio out...

Battle Vaughan
September 20th, 2014, 09:36 PM
Resolve has some basic editing functions, but it is clearly not designed to be an NLE. The assembly functions appear to be as a convenience for fine-tuning, or that is my opinion. I wouldn't call it a full featured editing program. It is, as it purports to be, a color grading program.

I'm on Windows so I can't answer for Mac, but the audio output uses the default system audio output on the PC. In my case it is an sp/dif port to external speakers, but it could be the on-board headphone jack just as easily. I assume the same to be true for Mac but I don't know for sure.

Charles W. Hull
August 11th, 2015, 07:32 PM
Has anyone tried the new version 12? It has added NLE features, and seems to have audio plugin capability.

Chris Barcellos
August 13th, 2015, 01:51 AM
I looked at minimum requirements, and they are calling for Windows 8 Professional. I am running 7 still. I am hoping with the free update to Windows 10 coming, that will resolve my deficiency. Anyone try it with 7 yet.

Craig Marshall
August 13th, 2015, 02:59 AM
I have run Resolve v12 (2nd beta) successfully on both Win 7 64bit Home Edition and Win 10 64bit Pro

Donald McPherson
August 13th, 2015, 05:24 AM
Runs fine on my windows7

Charles W. Hull
August 13th, 2015, 09:42 PM
Has anyone tried the new version 12? It has added NLE features, and seems to have audio plugin capability.
I did download and work with version 12. It has lots of new features over version 11, including NLE, multi camera, etc. I did put together a few clip video, but the learning curve is high and I didn't get far enough to say, oh this will replace PP for me. The color editing of course is fantastic, I would say quite a bit better than Lumetri.

There don't seem to be many tutorials for Resolve. But there is a very comprehensive 1000+ page manual, so the editing s/w should be learnable.

I've started shooting Sony mirrorless, and it seems DaVinci Resolve has a real cult following in this crowd. Part of it may be it is difficult to extract good color with Sony Slog2, and the color power of Resolve can make a big difference. (But there are better profiles for color editing, and Slog2 isn't usually necessary.)

Anyway, I'd still appreciate hearing any NLE editing experience anyone has with version 12.

About Windows 7, I don't know - I run Mac for editing. But Resolve is a free download so it would be easy enough to just try it. (Hmm - I do have a powerful Win 7 machine upstairs - might be a fun thing to try.)