View Full Version : Waveform and gain doubt

Marcus Martell
September 18th, 2014, 09:47 AM
Hola guys, i have a question for you:

how do the waveform work exactly to avoid overexposure? The white stuff shoukd stay between the 2 big rectangles (on a total of four rectangles) right?

Othe question:
the gain should not be less than 400 iso right?
Thank you so much

Kevin McRoberts
September 21st, 2014, 09:55 AM
que tal Marcus

The waveform will show exposure levels across the frame ranging from superb lack to superwhite. In the AF100's WFM, there are a series of dotted horizontal lines and solid horizontal lines... the solid lines represent, from top to bottom, 100%, 50%, and 0% IRE. Ideally white would be at 100% IRE, black at 0% (or usually 7.5%IRE).

Simply enough, just keep the levels from going above 100% to prevent overexposure. Conversely if you want a sold white background and want to be sure you have a solid white background, then adjust exposure and lighting on your background until you have a solid line at 100%. If you want your subject to fall in the ~50% IRE region, then watch for its signature in that range of the WFM.

Here's a video that explains WFMs in general pretty well:
How To Use Waveform On A Monitor - YouTube

Hope this helps

As to gain, on the AF100 I think 400 is ideal and 800 is still good. Depending on the scene file, 1600 and 2500 are still workable, 3200 is OK but starts to get messy.

Marcus Martell
September 22nd, 2014, 11:46 AM
Thank you kevin!
I really appreciate your post!