View Full Version : Importing clips from the C100

Michael Thames
October 18th, 2014, 09:23 PM
I just got the C100 and a Ninja Blade, I'm waiting for the recommended Hard drive to arrive in the mail so I can begin to use the Ninja. In the meantime I'm wondering about the correct way to import clips into FCPX.

I've recently heard of the problem of FCPX has with AVCHD codec. I imported the clips via the USB cable using Data import utility then transcoded them using 5DtoRGB.

Is this a good way to do it?

Troy Moss
October 18th, 2014, 09:52 PM
Here's some info that may be helpful!

AVCHD Import in Final Cut Pro X 10.1 - YouTube

Michael Thames
October 19th, 2014, 12:23 AM
Thanks Troy, I thought there was an issue of having to manually adjust the clip settings to progressive because FCPX see's the C100 as interlaced? I'm wondering if 5DtoRGB does this automatically?

Kathy Smith
October 19th, 2014, 05:58 AM
I've never had the problem you are describing. Have been using C100 for almost 2 years now.

Michael Thames
October 19th, 2014, 02:14 PM
It was Dave Partington who said this just recently in this thread.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-gf-gh-series/525258-looks-like-im-getting-gh4.html

The clips look good to me after running them through 5DtoRGB...... but the thought occurred maybe they will look better doing what Dave said...... I don't know...... Dave are you out there?

Kathy Smith
October 19th, 2014, 05:00 PM
I just read his comment on the other thread and have no idea what he is talking about. Maybe he will explain if he sees this thread.

Michael Thames
October 19th, 2014, 08:57 PM
Kathy, if you don't mind me asking what is your workflow?

Matt Davis
October 20th, 2014, 12:27 AM
Kathy, I guess you're using 24p pretty much exclusively?

A while back, I settled with the sort of ham fisted but reliable FCPX 'select all clips and switch to Progressive' for all my 25psf stuff:

Canon C100 PsF – the fix | Travelling Matt (http://mattdavis.pro/2013/12/30/canon-c100-psf-the-fix/)

24p seems just fine, 24psf isn't.

If I have the time/budget/inclination, I go the 5DtoRGB route - but most of the time, everything just gets sucked straight into FCPX and once it's all in but before I start putting things into a project/timeline, I switch to Progressive.

Kathy Smith
October 20th, 2014, 05:02 AM
Kathy, I guess you're using 24p pretty much exclusively?

A while back, I settled with the sort of ham fisted but reliable FCPX 'select all clips and switch to Progressive' for all my 25psf stuff:

Canon C100 PsF – the fix | Travelling Matt (http://mattdavis.pro/2013/12/30/canon-c100-psf-the-fix/)

24p seems just fine, 24psf isn't.

If I have the time/budget/inclination, I go the 5DtoRGB route - but most of the time, everything just gets sucked straight into FCPX and once it's all in but before I start putting things into a project/timeline, I switch to Progressive.
Hi Matt, yes I am using 24p exclusively. I don't even know what 24psf is for, hahaha.

Michael Thames
October 20th, 2014, 09:31 AM
Matt, thanks for the info. It takes some of the mystery out of what Dave was saying.

Yea, I tried to google what on earth you would use psf for and couldn't find an answer, I'm sure there is a reason otherwise Canon wouldn't have put it in there. However, for me no reason to shoot in anything other than 24p....... so it's a non-issue I guess.

Noa Put
October 20th, 2014, 09:50 AM
Here you"ll find some more info regarding this: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/518877-c100-frame-rate-suggestion.html

Dave Partington
October 20th, 2014, 10:53 AM
I always import from the card and not via USB.

If you import from the AVCHD structure then FCPX (and most other NLEs) see the footage as interlaced not progressive, so you ned to click on the clip in the event browser then in the inspector (cmd+4 to open) in the info tab change it to progressive.

Several apps, including ClipWrap and maybe 5DtoRGB do this change for you when re-wrapping, but it's a stage I usually don't bother with because it's not required since I can do everything inside FCPX.

If the workflow you are using works for you and when you check the info panel in FCPX it says progressive then you are good to go.

If however you ever seen any interlace type artefacts in the FCP viewer then check the progressive settings in the info panel.

Wayne Avanson
October 20th, 2014, 03:37 PM
Dave, do you shoot 50i or pf25?

Just interested. Ta.

Dave Partington
October 20th, 2014, 03:48 PM
I shoot PF25.

Michael Thames
October 20th, 2014, 07:43 PM
I always import from the card and not via USB.

If you import from the AVCHD structure then FCPX (and most other NLEs) see the footage as interlaced not progressive, so you ned to click on the clip in the event browser then in the inspector (cmd+4 to open) in the info tab change it to progressive.

Several apps, including ClipWrap and maybe 5DtoRGB do this change for you when re-wrapping, but it's a stage I usually don't bother with because it's not required since I can do everything inside FCPX.

If the workflow you are using works for you and when you check the info panel in FCPX it says progressive then you are good to go.

If however you ever seen any interlace type artefacts in the FCP viewer then check the progressive settings in the info panel.

Hi Dave, I've always used the USB cable on my 5D3 to import the footage. Do you think there is a difference in the quality of the image doing it this way rather than a card reader?

Here is something a shot yesterday in my back yard. How does this footage look to the trained eye? I didn't see any jaggies and I've noticed some very bad jaggies on some other C100 footage that is considered very good on Vimeo.

I used data Import, then ran the clips through 5DtoRGB.
C100 shorts - YouTube

Michael Thames
October 20th, 2014, 08:04 PM
Here you"ll find some more info regarding this: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/518877-c100-frame-rate-suggestion.html

Thanks Noa,

Erick Perdomo
July 6th, 2015, 12:31 PM
I know it's an older thread but I recently got a Canon C100 MKii and I decided to record on MP4 instead of AVCHD...simpler to use with FCP 7 (I know I'm a relic!). Anyway, my workflow is MP4 then into my mac via iphoto (as I do with my Canon 70D), then convert the files to Apple Pro Res LT via mpeg streamclip and is looks to work ok...or should I be using the Canon import software? does the footage get imported deinterlaced as it should or not? Just want to make sure I do the importing properly.

thanks
Erick

Dave Partington
July 6th, 2015, 01:29 PM
I'm now using some software called EditReady prior to import in to any NLE. It can either re-wrap or transcode, but the important thing is that it created uncompressed audio which has the advantage of:

• Premiere Pro doesn't need to conform audio

• FCPX doesn't need to copy the files in to it's library, it can use them from wherever you choose to put them

• You can transcode for FCP7 - and it's faster at doing it that compressor, MPEGStreamclip and all the others I tried.

I was so impressed with it I wrote a quick review here: Review: EditReady - DavidPartington.com (http://www.davidpartington.com/m43/2015/05/18/review-editready/)

Gary Huff
July 6th, 2015, 01:43 PM
my workflow is MP4 then into my mac via iphoto (as I do with my Canon 70D), then convert the files to Apple Pro Res LT via mpeg streamclip and is looks to work ok.

What format are you shooting in and do you still get interlaced artifacting after output? Or are you selecting one of the "deinterlace" options?

Deinterlacing your C100 footage will kill half the resolution.

Erick Perdomo
July 6th, 2015, 07:28 PM
hi Gary. thanks for the reply!
I read somewhere about some people choosing deinterlacing with the C100 footage and thus losing half the resolution so when open streamclip to transcode the mp4 files ( I have been shooting 1080 60p to have the option to do some slow mo if required but the timelime has been set at 30p for normal playback) I DON'T choose deinterlace when transcoding to apple pro res LT. Is this correct? I don't want to lose the quality!
I love the camera so far! i will keep my 70D as a B camera with this one.
thanks for the help!
|erick

Gary Huff
July 6th, 2015, 10:54 PM
I know it's an older thread but I recently got a Canon C100 MKii and I decided to record on MP4 instead of AVCHD...simpler to use with FCP 7 (I know I'm a relic!).

Yes, as long as you shoot MP4, then that works. AVCHD uses pulldown for PF30 and PF24 modes.