View Full Version : F1.4 E-mount?

Dave Allen
October 21st, 2014, 01:09 AM
There are a few F1.4 fast lenses in A-mount, but the problem is they would need to be used manually as the LAe2 adapter is needed to add a-mount lenses to the FS700. The LEA2 reverts the camera aperture to F3.5 in auto mode, these negating the low light capabilities of faster lenses.

So does anyone make a 50mm F1.4 E-mount?

Chris Medico
October 21st, 2014, 06:03 AM
There is a convenient table of lenses on Wikipedia. No f/1.4 50mm listed. It looks like 1.8 is as fast as it gets in native e-mount right now.

List of Sony E-mount lenses - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sony_E-mount_lenses)

Chris Harding
October 21st, 2014, 07:13 AM
I had a Sony 50mm F1.8 and the AF really struggled to focus so I ended up using it in manual so imagine how little DOF one would have at F1.4!! That's why they probably never made one ...Manual isn't that hard if you realise what DOF you have to play with and focus peaking (yes it works with a manual lens too) is a huge asset ... For me I would rather go a little wide to say 35mm as your DOF gets a wee bit more.

My go to lens at wedding receptions is a Sigma 18-35 F1.8 zoom and it almost sees in the dark!!

Chris

Dave Allen
October 21st, 2014, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the link.

I know that sigma Art lens is quite well regarded, but if go that route, I would have to manually focus. Simga has a 1.4 in an Art lens in an A-mount, but as a full frame lens I think it would end up being the equivalent of a 75mm with the Sony FS700's super 35mm sensor.

Rob Katz
October 23rd, 2014, 06:47 AM
I had a Sony 50mm F1.8 and the AF really struggled to focus so I ended up using it in manual so imagine how little DOF one would have at F1.4!! That's why they probably never made one ...Manual isn't that hard if you realise what DOF you have to play with and focus peaking (yes it works with a manual lens too) is a huge asset ... For me I would rather go a little wide to say 35mm as your DOF gets a wee bit more.

My go to lens at wedding receptions is a Sigma 18-35 F1.8 zoom and it almost sees in the dark!!

Chris

chris-

if the sigma you referenced were in an e-mount, would it autofocus on a fs700?

thanks in advance.

be well.

rob
smalltalk productions/nyc

Chris Harding
October 23rd, 2014, 08:07 AM
Hi Rob

I guess it would but any fast lens and a big sensor is often not a good idea for auto focus ! Mine is actually a Nikon mount so I use a dumb adapter and I prefer getting focus right. Using the SEL18200F3.5 at weddings I often used to come home and find fuzzy footage at wedding receptions while interviewing guests and found that the AF often struggled when wide open.

If you are considering the Sigma for it shallow DOF in good light then I'm sure the AF would work ..I had a Sigma 19mm and 35mm (both primes) and they seemed to be OK as long as the light was good but indoors they both sucked with AF

If, like me you want the Sigma purely so you are not hitting high ISO's in low light then it's brilliant BUT focus in manual is safer!! To be honest I simply wouldn't trust AF in low light conditions.

However it's an absolutely magic lens to use but watch out ...it will put close to 2lbs of weight in front of the camera if you are handholding ..it's heavier than it looks!!!

Chris

Chris

Noah Yuan-Vogel
October 28th, 2014, 11:35 AM
Simga has a 1.4 in an Art lens in an A-mount, but as a full frame lens I think it would end up being the equivalent of a 75mm with the Sony FS700's super 35mm sensor.

It being a full frame lens has no significance here, so you may be confused. It will look the same as any other 50mm lens that covers at least S35. You mean it will have the equivalent field of view on the fs700 that a 75mm lens would have on a full frame camera, but full frame cameras/sensors aren't relevant here.

Al Yeung
October 30th, 2014, 01:54 PM
There's the Mitakon 50/0.95 that is technically native e-mount, but it's MF.

No native AF f/1.4 lenses yet, but Sony has announced an e-mount Distagon 35/1.4. It'll be the first. (I think it has AF but I am not 100% sure.)