View Full Version : New Cineform Work Flow

Greg Kubitschek
February 4th, 2015, 04:20 PM
After scouring the internet, I am still not clear on the new way Adobe CC utilizes Cineform, and how to construct a good workflow path for the future. Is there a simple explanation out there? Suggestions and Options? Adobe talks a lot about exporting the project as a Cineform file, but I am also concerned about the transcoding and importing of footage.

Currently I am using Cineform Studio Premium with Adobe CS6 running on Windows. (No Problems) The workflow is as follows: Canon MXF file format (usually) - transcode with HD Link to Cineform AVI - Open Adobe CS6 and create a new project using the Cineform preset. I edit, saving a master file in the Cineform format. Media encoder output files are frequently MP4's.

Although I have used Cineform for many years, I cannot find a concise explanation on how this changes going to Premiere CC.

Do you still transcode media prior to import?
Does CC transcode native MXF files for you without HD Link?
Why is the export of Cineform files in CC only use the QT/mov wrapper?
How does the GoPro Cineform free App figure into all of this as opposed to CineForm Studio Premium?

Thanks for the help!

Greg Kubitschek
February 6th, 2015, 02:11 PM
83 people have looked at my post, and not a single comment? Interesting, are other people having the same issues too with this move to Premiere Pro CC?

David Newman
February 8th, 2015, 05:49 PM
In CC the older tools and workflow is fine. However there are new workflows in which CineForm is a great path. Here is a good source for CC info and using CineForm What’s New in the Fall release of Premiere Pro CC 2014.1 « DAV's TechTable (http://blogs.adobe.com/davtechtable/2014/09/whats-new-in-the-fall-release-of-premiere-pro-cc-2014-1.html)

CC add the ability to start a project with native clips, and when the system starts to bog down, you can transcode automatically your current timeline to CineForm using the new Consolidate and Transcode feature.

While I'm sure MXF files now work in CC, but you can transcode before you edit, either with the existing HDLink tool, or Adobe's Prelude can be set to transcode on file ingest to CineForm.

Adobe only implemented the MOV version as that was the best way to ensure cross platform compatibility. I'm still an AVI fan, but the new CC CineForm MOV support is fast, so I do use MOV more often now.

You can use Premium or Free version of GoPro Studio interchangeably with CC.

Greg Kubitschek
February 9th, 2015, 01:14 PM
David, Thanks for the clarifications. I watched Dave's Tech Table, but was unclear on how the ingest was to happen. I understood the save/export functions. The consolidate and transfer function must work well. I was initially worried about the AVI Cineform files I have, and the need to change them over to .mov. I am just glad that Cineform has been more widely accepted and integrated, because it has produced excellent results for many years!