View Full Version : Help! Video card confusion

Ryan Laytart
April 10th, 2015, 08:21 PM
I've installed a GeForce 750 ti FTW card. The pc recognizes it and installs a driver, but the card will not work. The following message is found in the device manager: "This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12) - If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system."

My current card (and the one I bought with the pc) is a GeForce GT 530. I have not yet tried to disable it, simply because I'm not sure what will happen. Will I be left with no video output?

Here's what happens when I try to use the new card, by itself.... the tower provides a short beep, which it repeats every 10 or 20 seconds. The screen DOES display, but it's stuck on the screen which says to press Escape to enter system settings. It does not actually allow me to enter the settings, though, or do anything, for that matter.

I'm stuck!

Chris Medico
April 10th, 2015, 08:25 PM
Do you have the secondary power connectors attached to the card?

Ryan Laytart
April 10th, 2015, 08:38 PM
Yes. The 6-pin power supply, right?

Chris Medico
April 10th, 2015, 08:59 PM
Thats right.

Can you post the full specs for the machine?

Ryan Laytart
April 10th, 2015, 09:15 PM
HP - h8-1280t
Processor - i7-3930K 6 core.
Memory - 10 gb ddr3
Windows 7 64 bit.
Samsung SSD - OS drive
Motherboard specs: HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Motherboard Specifications, IPIWB-PB (Pittsburgh) | HP®*Support (http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03132964)

Chris Medico
April 11th, 2015, 04:50 AM
Lets think about this. The resources is either PCI lanes, interrupts, or address space. It's unlikely that it is address space. Of the remaining ones it's PCI lanes that video cards are particularly sensitive to due to all the data they need. If you have a RAID setup, they take a lot of PCI lanes as well.

Can you try removing any installed cards and booting with only the video card in there?

Ryan Laytart
April 11th, 2015, 06:54 AM
When I first installed the new card, I removed the old one. After seeing that the computer wouldn't start, I re-installed the old card, then installed the drivers for the new card (windows did this automatically) and tried again, with the same result.

I'm nervous about disabling the old card, because there's no onboard graphics, and I could be stuck with no display if it doesn't work.

I found this suggestion on another site, which I haven't tried yet:

SAFE MODE:
#1 Uninstall all NVIDIA related programs from add/remove programs.
#2 Delete the C:\NVIDIA folder & both NVIDIA Corp folders (One can be found in C:\Program Files & the other in C:\Program Files(x86).
#3 Open control panel and type "change device installation settings" (without quotes) into where it says "search control panel" (at the top right hand corner of the control panel window), under devices and printers select "change device installation settings", change settings to "No, let me choose what to do" and "Never install driver software from windows update", Save Changes and Exit. (Sometimes your old video driver will try to re-install itself after rebooting, this fixes that issue.)
#4 Reboot into normal windows mode.

NORMAL MODE:
#1 Check and make sure Windows Management Instrumentation service is started & startup type is set to automatic.
- Click on the start button and type services.msc and hit enter, scroll down the list until you find windows management instrumentation, double click on windows management instrumentation, set startup type to automatic, service status should read as started, if the service is not started click start.
#2 Download & save THIS driver to your desktop.
#3 Double click on 335.23-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-english-whql.exe located on your desktop.
#4 Select custom advanced install.
#5 Under custom installation options uncheck all options but graphics driver & physx system software.
#6 Check mark perform clean install then click next to install the driver, Reboot when asked.

Chris Medico
April 11th, 2015, 07:08 AM
You don't have to disable the old one. If the computer isn't booting its not a software problem. Its a hardware conflict. You need to remove everything you can to see if the computer will boot with ONLY the video card in it. If not then there could be a motherboard compatibility issue or a firmware/bios issue.

Until you can get the computer to get past the POST screen there is no need to waste your time in software.