View Full Version : RX10 or X70?

Jay Knobbe
April 12th, 2015, 07:58 AM
Looking at both the DSC RX10 and the PXW X70. Both get great reviews especially with the latest RX10 firmware update.
Trying to figure out the basic differences in using either one of these small form factors so I thought someone who has used both could share their experiences.
I realize the RX10 has recording time limits and the X70 has many more codec choices, built in XLR vs mini jack for external mic, etc. What I am hoping for are responses like "I prefer my X70 because..." or "I prefer my RX10 because..."
Usage would be personal, work and paid video gigs. Cost doesn't weigh in to the equation at the moment.
Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Simon Denny
April 12th, 2015, 02:48 PM
Here is a link to something I shot. I purchased the RX10 for doco gigs for both video and photo. I wanted a small camera and the RX10 is the one.

While I was in Adelaide with The Allniters (I'm the drummer) I brought along my new Sony RX10 and thought I would shoot something…
I wanted to test this camera in low light and use full auto mode although I set and locked my shutter speed to be at 50 using the S mode in video.
I used auto ISO, focus, f-stop. Due to low light my f-stop was generally sitting at f2,8 anyway and also I limited ISO to 3400.
The RX10 is capable in auto mode but the auto focus has to be watched. I never use use any camera in auto as I prefer to control manually.

Also I tested out the Optical SteadyShot Active Mode: This works well with small movements and can be of great use where you need the shot to be steady but it comes with a hit in sharpness as it seems to crop into the sensor resulting in soft footage. This video is entirely shot in Optical SteadyShot Active Mode.

Overall the RX10 performed well but noise tends to creep in at ISO 3400.

https://youtu.be/6W1e2hcMT2c

Dave Blackhurst
April 15th, 2015, 12:53 AM
The RX10 is an excellent still camera with very good video capabilities, if you have a steady hand. Probably best used with a monopod or other support/stabilizer. Very good all round camera if you're mixing stills and video, and available at very reasonable prices used. Above average on board mics.

You missed the AX100... which gives you 4K (future proofing out of the box instead of as a future add on), a traditional "video" camera form factor, better stabilization. Takes decent stills too...

Where the RX10 is a still camera that also takes video quite well, the AX100 is a video camera that also can take the occasional still... it's a bit bigger and heavier, but still easy to handle.

I still hope Sony will release a 4K firmware upgrade to the RX10, but it's good as-is for a secondary camera to the AX100. The two together are a potent image capture "package". IF you asked me to "pick one", I'd probably ask whether video or stills was the priority, or just say "both", buy used and don't break the bank!

One thing, be sure to plan for big (64G minimum), fast, SDXC U3 cards to be able to get the most out of the higher bitrate XAVCS... they are coming up on sale here and there...