View Full Version : Panasonic 4K DVX200 Announced

Pages : [1] 2

Philip Lipetz
April 13th, 2015, 10:26 AM
AG-DVX200 4K Large-Sensor Handheld Camcorder Features Top-End Performance

Offering many top-end features such 4K/60p recording, a 13X optical zoom and a V-Log L gamma curve (12 stops of latitude, target) and delivering a shallow depth of field and a wide field of view, the DVX200 is the ideal companion camera to the company’s groundbreaking VariCam 35 4K camera/recorder.

The DVX200 will be optimized for 4K/HD production and shares the esteemed VariCam family characteristics of filmic tonality and colorimetry, with natural, subtle rendering of skin flesh tones. It will offer a V-Log curve emulating the natural grey-scale rendition of the VariCam 35. The camcorder will be available in Fall 2015 with a suggested list price under $5000.

Panasonic Announces 4K Large Sensor Handheld and 4K Studio and Box Cameras, Debuts P2 Cast Cloud News Production System | Business Wire (http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20150413005392/en/Panasonic-Announces-4K-Large-Sensor-Handheld-4K#.VSvvVs6H2t9)

Jack Zhang
April 13th, 2015, 11:23 AM
Since it's a DVX, don't expect the lens to be removable. It's great it has an MFT sensor and 4K60p, but the big gotcha may be it's limited to 8bit 4:2:0.

Edit: Yup. MP4/MOV recording means it records 8bit 4:2:0 internally. It does have an HDMI 2.0 output though, but whether that is 4:2:2 remains a mystery (unless it's the same as the XC1000, which no one has made public whether that's a 4:2:2 HDMI out in 4K.)

Ryan Douthit
April 13th, 2015, 12:04 PM
I have to say, this camera interests me.

Paulo Teixeira
April 13th, 2015, 12:19 PM
Here's all the photos from the press release.

Nate Haustein
April 13th, 2015, 12:20 PM
I love that it's red.

Jack Zhang
April 13th, 2015, 12:25 PM
We could be in for a similar situation compared to the AF100, where the internal codec was bad and we have to rely on external recorders. It can only output 4K over HDMI as there is no standard for sending 4K60p down a single SDI wire yet. (Sorry, Blackmagic's proprietary to their stuff. SMPTE hasn't standardized 6G or 12G SDI yet.)

Chris Hurd
April 13th, 2015, 12:28 PM
Thanks, Paulo -- you saved me some work!

Dylan Couper
April 13th, 2015, 12:28 PM
Carbon fiber and RED?

Picture says it all...

Jack Zhang
April 13th, 2015, 02:05 PM
Another thing to consider is have they solved the skew problem on MFT? 60p may have better results, but if it's like the AX100 or GH4 with higher than normal skew at lower frame rates, we have another HPX300-like problem on our hands.

Steve Kimmel
April 13th, 2015, 03:12 PM
I'm interested in the megapixels of the sensor. I love the GH4 but only with good light. Low light just doesn't work for me. IF the new camera has lower MP count, maybe it's better at higher ISO, but the lens will be limiting, especially at the longer end.

Anthony Lelli
April 14th, 2015, 01:32 PM
Another thing to consider is have they solved the skew problem on MFT? 60p may have better results, but if it's like the AX100 or GH4 with higher than normal skew at lower frame rates, we have another HPX300-like problem on our hands.

yes exactly. But it depends on the internal processing (power): remember that the F55 doesn't have any problem , not even RS (and it's NOT even a global shutter camera!) .

Philip Lipetz
April 15th, 2015, 08:38 AM
The Pannie rep says it has "native 4k resolution"

Jack Zhang
April 15th, 2015, 11:40 AM
That could mean anything. A 16:9 sensor with native resolution or a 4:3 or 3:2 sensor using only the pixels needed like on the GH4.

Paulo Teixeira
April 15th, 2015, 04:56 PM
:54 mark of the video. AVC Ultra at 444. He most likely made a mistake but imagine if that was true.

Panasonic DVX200 - NAB 2015 - YouTube

Steve Struthers
April 15th, 2015, 05:26 PM
AG-DVX200 4K Large-Sensor Handheld Camcorder Features Top-End Performance

Offering many top-end features such 4K/60p recording, a 13X optical zoom and a V-Log L gamma curve (12 stops of latitude, target) and delivering a shallow depth of field and a wide field of view, the DVX200 is the ideal companion camera to the company’s groundbreaking VariCam 35 4K camera/recorder....

Can't say I care much for the look of the camera. It looks kinda fruity to me.

For some strange reason, the first thing that popped into my mind after seeing the DVX200 was this - Panasonic's V3 one-tube camera from 1986.

It looks almost as if Panasonic designers reached into their grab bag of design tricks from almost 30 years ago when they came up with the DVX200.

Mark Fry
April 16th, 2015, 06:17 AM
Can't say I care much for the look of the camera. It looks kinda fruity to me.
What does it matter what it looks like? The image quality and how easy (or not) it is to use are the important things. If you don't like the colour, buy a cover or get your paint-brush out! ;-)

Jack Zhang
April 16th, 2015, 04:26 PM
:54 mark of the video. AVC Ultra at 444. He most likely made a mistake but imagine if that was true.

Panasonic DVX200 - NAB 2015 - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0z-iwFppcM)

Cinema5D has a guy from the same booth directly contradicting what the guy said in this video.

The Panasonic DVX200 - 4K Large-Sensor Camcorder (in red) - NAB 2015 on Vimeo

No way it's 4:4:4. It's 8bit 4:2:0 internal. If only Blackmagic made a HDMI 2.0 Hyperdeck Shuttle, but alas, only the 12G Hyperdeck can capture 4:2:2 from this camera.

Paulo Teixeira
April 16th, 2015, 07:37 PM
I did see the other videos before I posted that and I'll still be hoping it'll get at the very least 10 bit and 422. If not than I can easily see this camera being priced anywhere from $4,000 to $4,500 if all it's able to do internally is 8 bit and 420.

Jonathan Schwartz
April 16th, 2015, 07:48 PM
So what would be the depth of field different between this and my AC-160? Is there any way to know this without using the camera?

Daniel Epstein
April 17th, 2015, 11:28 AM
The New Camera is based on MIcro 4/3rd sensor so it is much bigger than the AG 160 1/3 inch sensor so the DVX200 should have much less depth of field

Ron Evans
April 17th, 2015, 05:03 PM
I did see the other videos before I posted that and I'll still be hoping it'll get at the very least 10 bit and 422. If not than I can easily see this camera being priced anywhere from $4,000 to $4,500 if all it's able to do internally is 8 bit and 420.

I think it is 8bit 420 internal and 10bit 422 over HDMI for an external recorder. Did anyone also notice the venting on the right side. Wonder if it has a fan like my FDR-AX1 ?

Ron Evans

Paulo Teixeira
April 17th, 2015, 05:38 PM
That's what I've been afraid of since day one. Heck, I'd settle for 8 bit and 4:2:2.

Still, if it does end up being only 8 bit and 4:2:0 than I'm expecting the price to be around $4,000 and up to $4,500 max.

Buba Kastorski
April 18th, 2015, 12:18 AM
i wonder how fast is the lens, f1,6, constant, faster?

Jack Zhang
April 18th, 2015, 01:04 AM
The press release listed it at F2.8-F4.5, which on a large sensor is slightly better than your typical F3.5-F5.6 lenses. It is very likely de-clicked already since the iris is designed for video.

Daniel Epstein
April 18th, 2015, 06:54 AM
I want to go on record and say that I dislike shooting with lenses that have ramping iris ranges of this magnitude. Defeats the purpose of the zoom in certain situations. If you expose for the long end of the lens and then use the wide you have to readjust the iris. If you are using the wide part of the lens and then zoom in you often end up with underexposed footage.

Brian Drysdale
April 18th, 2015, 07:38 AM
I guess the ramping comes down to how large a lens you want on the camera. There will be a few trade offs going on regarding the size of a fixed lens hand held camera like this, especially with larger sensors.

Ron Evans
April 18th, 2015, 07:54 AM
I want to go on record and say that I dislike shooting with lenses that have ramping iris ranges of this magnitude. Defeats the purpose of the zoom in certain situations. If you expose for the long end of the lens and then use the wide you have to readjust the iris. If you are using the wide part of the lens and then zoom in you often end up with underexposed footage.

Most handheld cameras of this type have ramping lenses. My Sony NX5U ramps from F1.6 to F3.4 over the 20x zoom range. Not a problem as if one set the iris to F3.4 nothing will change over the zoom range. In lower light then one must take account of this. If you want a 13x 4/3 lens with constant f number then you may need to add a lot more money just for the lens !!

Ron Evans

Buba Kastorski
April 18th, 2015, 09:27 AM
Well, DVX 100 was f1,6 constant, 2,8 - 4,5 - sucks big time,
probably will go Ursa mini, i shoot two cameras all the time anyways.

Ken Plotin
April 18th, 2015, 10:49 AM
Buba,
The DVX 100A is f/1.6 to 2.8 or 3.4 at the 10x end of the zoom.
Ken

Dylan Couper
April 18th, 2015, 07:02 PM
I guess the ramping comes down to how large a lens you want on the camera. There will be a few trade offs going on regarding the size of a fixed lens hand held camera like this, especially with larger sensors.

Plus of course, you'd probably double the cost of the camera, leaving people something worse to complain about. :)

David Parks
April 20th, 2015, 07:58 AM
Of all the features of the DVX 200, I am most excited about Vlog L. It will allow you to get 12 stops of latitude and match with footage from GH4. We have been shooting with flat profiles on the GH4 and applying a Varicam 35 Vlog to Rec 709 LUT with inteeeresting results. The demo below gives you a good feel for the extended dynamic and color range you can achieve with Vlog L.

Panasonic 4K Anamorphic and V-Log L - Official Video on Vimeo

Philip Lipetz
July 17th, 2015, 06:55 AM
Panasonic DVX200 First Look - YouTube

Andy Wilkinson
July 17th, 2015, 07:45 AM
Good summary of features.

My mouse has been hovering over the pre-order button for this cam on a major UK supplier's website more than once the last few weeks!

Can't wait to see some images actually shot with the DVX200 - but I guess those won't be too far off now.

Andy Wilkinson
July 26th, 2015, 02:12 AM
DVX200 footage!

It's worth noting the comments he (Jonathan Lawrence) made on the YouTube page too, directly quoted below:

"Please do not judge the camera's ability by my footage - this is just a sneak peak. I did not understand the full potential of this camera until after I shot this.

The image quality you will see coming from this camera is without question some of the best I have seen from from a camera in the price range.

The camera has some problems in the pre-release that I hope Panasonic will take into consideration for the final release, Several cinematographers and myself just spent two days in Japan, shooting with and for Panasonic. We all came to similar conclusions about the camera's strength and weakness . If they are able to solve these issues the camera could find and audience. It has much potential for documentaries, sports and event video. I will have more cinema style samples posted soon.

This footage is over graded and down converted to HD it is not meant to dissect only to start a conversation of the possibilities of this camera."

DVX200 - YouTube

Noa Put
July 26th, 2015, 02:25 AM
Looking at some shots in this video it gives me the impression the camera has limited DR and doesn't handle highlights well, like the image at 01:00 where a part of the building was lit by sunlight and the rest was in the shade, the building was exposed right but you hardly could see details in the rest of the image, can this be because a preset was used that added to much contrast and saturation? The image that stood out the most was the girl at the end of the video where the outside part was quite overexposed which reminds me a lot of the look you get with cheap handicams.

Andy Wilkinson
July 26th, 2015, 02:29 AM
Exactly my early impressions too - but this is the very first footage that we've seen from the DVX200 (apart from some badly shot "engineering samples" - supposedly - filmed though a hotel window that appeared on YouTube about a week ago).

From now (the end of July) until around September/October still gives Panny a lot of time to tweak it/get things right.

So I won't judge the cam just yet. Here's hoping they really do get this right/produce a winner.

Noa Put
July 26th, 2015, 03:18 AM
I don't want to offend the guy that shot this video but I don't understand why Panasonic gives a prerelease camera to someone who shoots it in the way he does, he says so himself it's overgraded and I can add overexposed and shaky all over. Releasing such a video does Panasonic more harm then good because if I was in the market for such a camera based on this video I now already would be looking elsewhere.

Andy Wilkinson
July 27th, 2015, 03:35 PM
Better (much better...) DVX200 footage.

As always, it's not just the camera but the skill of who is using it that matters.

Seriously thinking of pre-ordering a DVX200 after seeing this tonight!

News Shooter | First Panasonic DVX200 footage published online by Sebastian Wiegaertner (http://www.newsshooter.com/2015/07/27/panasonic-dvx200-footage-published-online-by-sebastian-wiegaertner/)

Rich Adrion
July 27th, 2015, 04:59 PM
I think that was the rough edit, this seems to be the final cut
The First Footage from the Panasonic DVX200 Looks a Lot Like the GH4, Which Is Great (http://nofilmschool.com/2015/07/sebastian-wiegartner-first-footage-panasonic-dvx200)

KYOTO - A Panasonic AG-DVX200 short film on Vimeo

Jack Zhang
July 27th, 2015, 05:12 PM
My biggest gripe is the focus. When it's iris is wide open, I see problems normally associated with a servo backfocus based system like an EX1's, but magnified due to the sensor size. I wouldn't shoot on this with a wide open aperture. Simple test: If for some reason the focus doesn't breathe at all, it's backfocus based focus. Manual lenses will always breathe at this price range.

The thing I learned about the EX1 is never ever leave it at F1.9. In this case you may want to stop down from it's wide open of F2.8 to F3.5 or F4. This will drastically affect Telephoto.

Noticed on the train shot from the amateur filmmaker some bad rolling shutter. Could be the HPX300 all over again where you have to choose the 60p framerate to avoid rolling shutter.

The 4:2:0 H.264 is going to limit grading. Let's hope the HDMI 2.0 port on the production model can be hooked up to a portable HDMI 2.0 recorder soon.

Philip Lipetz
July 28th, 2015, 09:40 AM
One test specifically said there is no back focus problem

Noa Put
July 28th, 2015, 09:47 AM
I think that was the rough edit, this seems to be the final cut

That other video was shot by another guy but they appeared to both be on the same location, same camera, different operator and you immediately see the difference.

Jack Zhang
July 28th, 2015, 11:40 AM
One test specifically said there is no back focus problem

By design, if everything works as it should, it shouldn't have problems to the average user. But it doesn't look as good with a wide open iris as I was hoping. My EX1R doesn't look good with a wide open aperture at full wide zoom, and this one has that effect magnified. Just personally, I'd always shoot closed down to F4 if I had my hands on this camera.

It's not a problem that the backfocus is off, the thing is the servo focus is the backfocus. This is why the EX1 was able to hit the price point it did and not have any focus breathing.

Jim Martin
July 28th, 2015, 12:19 PM
Great looking stuff......and if you saw Jonathan's footage yesterday vs this, the only real difference is style. It shows that the same camera (assuming they had identical base settings) in two different hands can get you very different "feels" to their chosen shots....both good, just different..I personally like the German's shots....and we set Jonathan up with Panasonic to go on the trip!

Jim Martin
EVSonline.com

Andy Wilkinson
July 30th, 2015, 06:23 AM
Interesting French DVX200 test footage on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/tb8CH7tuU98

Unregistered Guest
July 30th, 2015, 08:51 AM
I see a lot of noise in that, even thought it's bright daylight. Look at the shadows on the sidewalk.

Andy Wilkinson
July 30th, 2015, 09:24 AM
Yep - but he wrote this on the YouTube page. My French is not as good as it used to be... but basically he's saying it was a very early mock-up he had - it did not even have V log in the firmware. Direct quote below:

Voici quelques images de la DVX200 issues de la première prise en main de la caméra par la chef-op Emilie Aujé, début Juillet 2015.
La caméra était un exemplaire de pré-production qui n'intégrait pas encore la courbe V-Log

I do wonder about the marketing sense of Panasonic allowing footage to appear well before the camera is (clearly) finished - i.e. outside of NDA's that usually prevent this. Could back-fire on them big time.

Josh Bass
July 30th, 2015, 02:36 PM
Already HAS back-fired. On "the other" forum people are losing their crap (in the bad way) over this footage.

I agree. . .I still don't understand why anyone would post anything less than fully uncompressed straight-from-the-cam footage, or at least something output with that quality. I understand files would be huge, but you could do a few seconds instead of a few minutes, at least THAT would be accurate. This is. . .not super smart. Like having people judge your rough cut of a film.

Andy Wilkinson
August 3rd, 2015, 02:52 AM
More 4K footage. Recorded on a DVX200 with Atomos Shogun.

https://youtu.be/aU7WyzZXDu0

Rich Adrion
August 3rd, 2015, 05:35 PM
What does High Sens mean, is that a gain setting? I saw a lot of noise in some shots, the red hue on the flower was very over-saturated and it did not have a natural look to it. I did see some shots that looked really nice so maybe the shooter made poor setting choices for the others??