View Full Version : light banding because of florescent lights. . .

Jerry Neal
May 22nd, 2015, 04:32 PM
Hello,

Yesterday I shot a video inside a paint booth and did not have enough room to use my lighting kit. Instead, I had to shoot under the florescent lights inside the both, and ended up with black bands in my footage. Does anyone know if there is a way to get rid of these or make them less noticeable? This is also going to be a time lapse video, which seems to make the banding effect even worse.

Here's a sample clip for your reference.

Light Banding Effect Sample on Vimeo

Thanks!

Enrique Orozco Robles
May 22nd, 2015, 05:11 PM
I once had a similar problem... My solution was to use the BCC (Boris Continuum Complete) flicker fixer filter that I was very glad I had.... EXCELENT results, altough sometimes buggy to use.....

Good luck...

Jerry Neal
May 22nd, 2015, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the info. Unless I'm mistaken, it looks like I need to purchase the entire "image correction" suite? Or is it possible to buy the "Flicker Fixer" by itself?

Thanks!

Bruce Watson
May 23rd, 2015, 11:24 AM
...I had to shoot under the florescent lights inside the booth, and ended up with black bands in my footage.

Easiest and highest quality way out might be a reshoot, this time using a shutter speed that's a multiple of mains power frequency. In USA, 1/30, 1/60, 1/120, etc. This should prevent the slowly moving dark bands.

Failing that, there are a number of "flicker fixer" programs and plugins out there for exactly this problem.