View Full Version : Sony 50mm f/1.8 for interviews?

David Banner
June 10th, 2015, 07:26 PM
Sony E 50mm f/1.8 OSS Lens (Black) SEL50F18/B B&H Photo Video

This lens is very affordable. I want a lens to give me shallow depth of field when shooting interviews (sometimes through a telelprompter which cuts more light).
I might also use it some for low light weddings but it will be limited being a prime.

My concern is that the APS-C equiv will be 75mm which seems a bit long.
Thinking back I usually have to zoom in some on my interviews with my wide 28mm lenses so maybe it'd be okay. I know I have some digital zoom if I need it, but once you physically move back as far as you can, you can't make a lens go any wider :)
What do you guys think?

Michael Liebergot
June 10th, 2015, 10:07 PM
I would opt for the Sony 35mm 1.8 first for interviews, as with the APC sensor it equates to a more conventional 50mm lens. I have both lenses and prefer the 35mm as it's also a sharper lens.

Sony 35mm f/1.8 OSS Alpha E-mount Prime Lens SEL35F18 B&H Photo

Chris Harding
June 11th, 2015, 02:05 AM
Even nicer is the Sigma 18-35 F1.8 .... gives you a nice range for framing and is a huge asset at wedding receptions. I sold my 50mm Sony as it was just too long at a crowded reception!!

Of course you would have to use manual focus on the zoom but it works well!

David Banner
June 11th, 2015, 09:00 AM
Thank you, Michael and Chris.

The Sony 35mm 1.8 looks really nice for sure. The Sigma 18-35 would be great except I'd have to also get an adapter for E-mount, so not sure whether A mount or what would be the best route. Also not sure about which adapter. Plus it costs more but gives me like 3 lenses in one though. I wish it came in E mount.

Oren Arieli
June 11th, 2015, 09:41 AM
I have the Sony 50mm f1.4 and it's my go-to for medium close-ups on interviews. I typically shoot at 6ft and around f2.2 or 2.8 for sharpness. The longer focal length really helps isolate the background...but you're right about it being a bit long otherwise.
I also have the 18-35 lens, but find that it falls a bit short at the 35mm length, especially if you're looking to get tight and emotional MCU's without having the camera come uncomfortably close.
A slower/softer but possibly more versatile suggestion is the Canon FD 35-105, which you can find used for under $100. Add a cheap adapter and you've got a versatile zoom that has the benefit of being Parfocal. At f3.5, it's not the fastest lens, but if I need one lens for an interview with flexibility, I go with that one.

The attached stills were all taken with the 50mm f1.4 on a RedRock Micro One Man Crew parabolic slider, which has to be exactly 6 ft. from the subject

Michael Liebergot
June 11th, 2015, 12:24 PM
Thank you, Michael and Chris.

The Sony 35mm 1.8 looks really nice for sure. The Sigma 18-35 would be great except I'd have to also get an adapter for E-mount, so not sure whether A mount or what would be the best route. Also not sure about which adapter. Plus it costs more but gives me like 3 lenses in one though. I wish it came in E mount.

David I also have the Sigma 18-35 1.8 and LOVE it. It's sharp as a tack and works wonders in low light. I went with the Sony A Mount and went for the LA-EA4 as I wanted to keep it Sony. The adapter works flawlessly except for one thing in regards to auto focus. Since the LA-EA4 has a mirror in it you lose aa couple of stops of light when using auto focus, as the adapt stops any iris down to 3.5 anytime you use auto focus. Now you can run manual with no issue, but if you swap to AF on the camera the lens will stop down to 3.5. If you use push auto it stops down only until it focuses and them all is good again. But if you run AF all the time then you can't go higher than 3.5 on any lens.

You have full iris functionality which is most important to me.
If you don't want to deal with the AF stop down then go for the Canon EF mount and Metabones adapter.

Chris Harding
June 11th, 2015, 06:00 PM
If you are also working to a budget, Sigma make a fairly sharp 35mm lens that is e-mount so no adapters are required but from memory I think it's only F2.8

David Banner
June 14th, 2015, 05:21 PM
I have the Sony 50mm f1.4 and it's my go-to for medium close-ups on interviews. I typically shoot at 6ft and around f2.2 or 2.8 for sharpness. The longer focal length really helps isolate the background...but you're right about it being a bit long otherwise.
I also have the 18-35 lens, but find that it falls a bit short at the 35mm length, especially if you're looking to get tight and emotional MCU's without having the camera come uncomfortably close.
A slower/softer but possibly more versatile suggestion is the Canon FD 35-105, which you can find used for under $100. Add a cheap adapter and you've got a versatile zoom that has the benefit of being Parfocal. At f3.5, it's not the fastest lens, but if I need one lens for an interview with flexibility, I go with that one.

The attached stills were all taken with the 50mm f1.4 on a RedRock Micro One Man Crew parabolic slider, which has to be exactly 6 ft. from the subject

Those attached pics look good. Were those were taken with the 50mm which ends up being 75mm on an APS-C camera? I tend to shoot interviews around 6ft also.

Oren Arieli
June 14th, 2015, 05:45 PM
Yes, all photos were with the 50mm f1.4 from 6 ft. I'm reasonably sure I shot around f2.8 or f3.2, wide open is a bit too soft.
Shooting with a 35mm would not give you as shallow a DOF, and you'd have to get closer to the talent, possibly blocking your lights to get the same field of view.

Lee Berger
June 15th, 2015, 03:11 PM
I've been using the 50mm for over two years and find it to be excellent.

Lee Berger
June 15th, 2015, 03:22 PM
Here's one I shot with an 85mm Samyang f1.4

Scott Nocella
June 15th, 2015, 05:04 PM
Beautiful!!!

David Banner
June 16th, 2015, 01:51 PM
Thank you everyone. You guys are great!

Tom Van den Berghe
December 11th, 2016, 12:06 PM
I've been using the 50mm for over two years and find it to be excellent.

the SEL50MMF1.8 from sony with emount and OSS?

I have already the sony zeiss 24mm F1.8 which is a great lens (expensive but bought it second hand)

I also have the 85mm F1.4 (or F1.5) from samyang but I don't use this lens much because the fullframe 85mm is too much for more general use. I have to stand to far away from my subject.

So which 50mm lens must I buy for portraits?

I also read some good things about the old konica minolta 50mm F1.7

Oren Arieli
December 11th, 2016, 01:27 PM
The 50mm f1.4 is a re-badged Minolta 50mm f1.4, from what I've read. (Sony bought Minolta back in 2006). I recently picked up a Ukranian 58mm Helios 44-2 f2 lens for $20 (plus $20 shipping), which is noted for it's unique bokeh. Wide open, it flares quite a bit, so it's not ideal for every situation. But you'll find plenty of interesting options out there.

Dmitri Zigany
December 13th, 2016, 03:17 AM
I really like the 50mm/1.8 OSS... it has a nice vibe too it. The 35mm/1.8 OSS feels more clinical in comparison.
OSS is a must for any handheld, imo. They both work great with face recognition as well which is a great feature to have.

if you already have the 24mm/1.8 then the 50mm makes perfect sense as a compliment.

Tom Van den Berghe
December 13th, 2016, 11:21 AM
thx Dmitri for your answer. Before I saw your answer I was reading into old minolta and olympus zuiko lenses. These are cheap but all manual and need an adapter.

After that I found this test about several lenses. And yes, the sony SEL50F18 is indeed sharper in the centre on the widest apertures, (sharper than those old minolta, olympus,...,) that's what I need.

Adorable 50s - The Portrait Primes Battle (http://3d-kraft.com/index.php%3Foption%3Dcom_content%26view%3Darticle%26id%3D121:adorable-50s-the-portrait-primes-battle%26catid%3D40:camerasandlenses%26Itemid%3D2)

Will have a look to buy a second hand one. thx again!

Les Wilson
December 14th, 2016, 07:44 PM
Not specific to the SEL Sony lens but to the FOV for interviews issue. I've done 2 recently using a 35mm and a 50mm with the Sony SCL PL primes for the F3 (also super 35mm sensor). For me it's strictly based on how much room I have between subject and lens. I did a test in preparation using the same aperture, subject to background distance and composition but varied the lenses. This is the result.

Tom Van den Berghe
December 19th, 2016, 12:59 PM
I bought the sony SEL50F18 second hand for a very good price. So far I love it. thx guys for your help!