View Full Version : New Lens and service

Randy Johnson
June 23rd, 2015, 06:41 AM
2 things 1. I bought the 17-105 @ f 4 /sony lens and WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE? its smooth light and zooms in just enough for me without losing light. Yeah I wish it was at f2.8 but its the closest thing for me to have a well rounded solution.

2. I noticed my zoom rocker is going bad, its sticking and lacks the spring feeling, anyone know a good place to get it serviced in the US?

Randy

Steven Digges
June 24th, 2015, 11:09 AM
Hey Randy,

I like my Sony F4 too.

Since your camera is out of warranty I would try opening it up and looking at the spring. Some times springs just come unseated. It looks like it might not be too many screws to get to it. Maybe worth a try?

Steve

Randy Johnson
June 24th, 2015, 06:11 PM
yeah i'll give it a shot, I havent had a camera repair situation in 6 years or so (since I went tapeless) so I dont mind spending a little bit. I have spare cameras so I am taking it out of service before it gets worse.

Chris Harding
June 24th, 2015, 06:59 PM
Hey Randy if it's just the side cover that exposes the switch I would give it a try anyway. As Steve says the spring has either become unseated or it broken in half ... if the latter it will be easy to match one up.

It's quite common for even home light switches to go soft

Michael Spanheimer
June 29th, 2015, 03:20 AM
2 things 1. I bought the 17-105 @ f 4 /sony lens and WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE? its smooth light and zooms in just enough for me without losing light. Yeah I wish it was at f2.8 but its the closest thing for me to have a well rounded solution.

Hello Randy

i am not sure, but i think i heard that the 18-105 doesnt have this strange "focus-hickup" issue when zooming. (like the kit lense has...)
Is that correct?

Randy Johnson
June 29th, 2015, 10:47 AM
I havent seen it yet, everyone has their own standards people tell me the lens has a starnge moire bending effect when you zoom in all the way. For me I cant see it im not doing film work or commercial. im doing weddings and its fine others may have a issue with it.

Steven Digges
June 29th, 2015, 04:01 PM
Michael,

It does not have the jerk in and out on zoom you are referring to. At least mine does not.

Randy,

Your referring to the "pin cushion" effect it can produce on some camera bodys. You are never going to see it on your EA50. They are 100% compatible as are most NEX body's. The pin cushion shows up on FS series like the FS700.

Steve

Dan Germano
July 19th, 2015, 04:53 PM
Mine will loose focus if you zoom out fast and stop suddenly. Have to ease out of the fast zooms.

Randy Johnson
August 20th, 2015, 05:56 PM
SO I sent my camera to video one for service they were having trouble finding the part so I bought another one off ebay as a spare. then they got the part so I will have 2 now. Teh only questions is the new one come s with the 18-200 lens anyone want to trade for the 18-105 at F4?:)