View Full Version : RX10, a few questions?

Steven Digges
July 15th, 2015, 11:07 PM
I do not stay up to date on cameras in this class. But I am researching a "kit" I am recommending for an out of state client of mine so he can do some shooting of his own in his office.

Here is the B&H link for the exact model I am considering:

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Digital Camera DSCRX10/B B&H Photo

Here is the lens description from that B&H page:

Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* 8.3x Optical Zoom Lens
The built-in Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* lens provides a 35mm-equivalent focal length range of 24-200mm, covering wide-angle to full telephoto perspectives to suit working in a wide variety of situations. The fast constant f/2.8 maximum aperture enables enhanced low-light capabilities as well as greater control over focus placement for selective focus imagery. The lens also features 7 aspheric elements for reduced aberrations and a Carl Zeiss T* anti-reflective coating to help minimize lens flare and ghosting in order to produce imagery with rich contrast and clarity.

Is it really possible that this camera has a 35mm equivalent lens of 24mm-200mm at a constant aperture of F2.8? I must be missing something? I know it is a fixed Sony lens but it is also Ziess badged. For $900.00.... are you kidding me??? A camera like this, with a lens like this, is that what I am missing or am I missing something in the specs? I pay much more than that for my lenses.....without a camera sticking out of them ;-) ;-) ;-)

The client is going to be shooting 3 minute testimonials from a tripod. He has no need for the 4K new release. This looks too good to be true!

There will also be staff members using this camera that have no knowledge of video or still shooting at all. I am also recommending LCD light panels as well. Because, as we know, just because you have F2.8 does not mean you should use it.

Steve

Ryan Douthit
July 16th, 2015, 09:39 AM
Yes. It's all true. I own the RX100 Mk IV which has the same sensor. These cameras are officially redonkulous.

It sounds like the RX10 II is a great choice for the client's use.

Steven Digges
July 16th, 2015, 12:07 PM
I am going to recommend the original model. He has no use for 4k at all. Besides the 4k is there any other reason the second generation would be worth $500.00 more?

Thank You,

Steve

Ryan Douthit
July 16th, 2015, 01:26 PM
I haven't tested the two, but it's likely the new chip will have better low-light. Other then slow-mo (which they may likely not use) it's probably a toss-up.

Simon Denny
July 17th, 2015, 12:36 AM
It's a great camera. I have been using the RX10 for a while now and really fits in with my current gear and workflow.

Video is great and the stills are great also. Image on the video side gets a bit noisy at ISO 3500 and over but hey… at that price it will do.

In fact my new go to kit is a Sony RX10 and Sony A7s. These fit into a backpack and I'm good to go.

Dave Blackhurst
July 17th, 2015, 03:09 PM
The primary difference on the M2 is the sensor - which may have less RS (immaterial if the subject is sitting and the cam is on tripod, IMO). There will probably be some other minor improvements, but I'm not in a hurry to upgrade my "mark1", I'll wait for prices to drop as they always do (see below).

The answer is yes, the camera is really that stupid good, yes it really DOES have some amazing glass for the money, and is now showing up used at ridiculous prices on ebay (I've seen well below $750...). Patience might yield one closer to $600... Not bad for a camera that can hold its own against many "competitors", and should stay "current" for several more years at least (how many cameras can do THAT?!).

Look around, and you'll find that many "pros" picked one up as a "backup", and end up using it as much or more than the "main" camera. It is "only" a smallish sensor, but much bigger than the old "consumer" class cameras.

Be sure to have the client get the firmware update (easy install if he gets "old stock"), and SDXC U3 class cards (seem to start at 64GB) so he can shoot XAVCS at the higher bitrates for best image quality.

Simon Denny
July 17th, 2015, 09:23 PM
Grab some extra batteries and a battery charger. I found a battery/charger combo for the price of a battery.

I get around 1hr in video mode per battery.

Cliff Totten
July 25th, 2015, 09:03 AM
I sold my RX10 and waited for this model for a few months. I have only had the Mark II for 1 day (about 2 hours of shooting) but holy smoke, this thing is crazy. I LOVE the 4k and it's high speed frame rate in HD that is close to 1000 frames a second...it's freakish!

Another thing for video is SLOG-2 Gamma curve. With it, the Mark II does NOT blow out highlights the may the original tends to do. With SLOG-2, you can capture about 12 stops of dynamic range which is reportedly the full DR of the sensor. If you are shooting in a "standard" rec709 gamma the way the original RX10 does, you will get somewhere in the 7 stop area. (roughly)

I think the Mark II's dynamic range in video could be it's most dramatic upgrade. (Slog-2) If you dont need 4k, you can still take advantage of SLOG-2 in 1080.

Noa Put
July 25th, 2015, 09:20 AM
I was thinking about replacing my rx10 with the mark 2 until I saw it's introductory price which is double of what I have to pay for the mark 1, since it still appears to have the same DR in rec709 gamma I don't find it worth getting it now and wait long enough until the price drops, and it will, considerably. I only was hoping for a faster zoom as that makes my life very difficult at this moment but the price difference is too big to justify a purchase. Cliff, how much faster is the zoom while shooting video compared to the older version?

Cliff Totten
July 25th, 2015, 11:41 AM
Zoom seems completely the same. When not recording, it zooms quicker for framing your shot, when recording it slows down for recording just like the original RX10.

I dont think they changed the lens motor and servo at all. it still only has one fixed speed for zooming while recording.

Noa Put
July 25th, 2015, 01:10 PM
That's bad news, now I know for sure I won't buy it, that slow zoom has been a continuous frustration and the cause of several missed shots. I like almost everything else about this camera and it's disappointing that Sony didn't add more zoom speeds.

Are you sure about the zoomspeed when recording though, I have seen they added a choice for zoomspeed in the menu, have you tried changing that?

Steven Digges
July 25th, 2015, 01:40 PM
Thank for the input guys.

Noa, here in the US they are $900.00 for M1 and $13.000.00 for M2

Lens spec blows me away.

Steve

Noa Put
July 25th, 2015, 01:51 PM
The rx10 is here 830 euro and the mark 2 is 1600 euro...
Edit: just found a rx10 for 800 euro, so twice as cheap as the mark 2, the lens is great but I find the camera a bit underwhelming when it gets too dark, that's when my gh3/4 take over, but in good light it's a great camera to shoot with. If I have to believe cliff the DR has not changed unless you shoot s-log2 but I still need to see how easy that is to color correct in order to match with other camera's.

Simon Denny
July 25th, 2015, 02:25 PM
I think the RX10-M1 still has a life left and looking at the RX10-M2 the only thing that interests me is the hi speed frame rate. 4K is not part of my work flow yet…

I'm wondering if the RX10-M2 has the Cine Gamma profiles?

Paul Rickford
July 26th, 2015, 03:04 AM
Had one for a few days now, I'm going to disagree on the zoom, 'normal' is dead slow and 'faster' for sure is a little faster.
The 4k image is superb BUT well done Sony - active steadyshot and viewfinder brightness is disabled in 4k!
For me the biggest weakness of the original RX10 was the poor stabilization, to take away the active setting and make the view finding more difficult in bright light just when it's even more important on a 4k image is just plain dumb.
Guess for all the marketing the new chip has not got so much space after all.

Thanks
Paul

Noa Put
July 26th, 2015, 03:21 AM
I'm going to disagree on the zoom, 'normal' is dead slow and 'faster' for sure is a little faster.

This is getting a bit confusing, Cliff says the speed is the same but if I understand you right if you shoot video, there are 2 zoomspeeds available WHILE shooting video?

Paul Rickford
July 26th, 2015, 08:01 AM
This is getting a bit confusing, Cliff says the speed is the same but if I understand you right if you shoot video, there are 2 zoomspeeds available WHILE shooting video?

Yes two speeds while shooting video

Noa Put
July 26th, 2015, 09:19 AM
Ok thx, it's good to get accurate info.

Cliff Totten
July 26th, 2015, 03:39 PM
He's right. There is a setting for "fast" and "normal" in the camera menu

On "normal" you have one fixed speed when recording and a clunky fast speed when not recording.

On "fast" you have this clunky fast speed and and the same slow speed that "normal" has DURING recording.

I think the only real speed that anybody can use is the "normal" speed. Of the two speeds, it's the only smooth one.

If you change it into "fast", that speed "clunks" forward and back. It also "vibrates" at it "lurches" forward. It's really pretty ugly looking on video. I doubt anybody would want to use it if they saw it.

But yeah, in "normal" mode, you get the one slow (usable) speed and it feels the same to me as my original RX10

Noa Put
July 27th, 2015, 01:18 AM
How much time does it take for the fast zoom to zoom from wide to tele while recording? My rx10 takes 13 seconds to go from 24 to 200mm while recording and it takes around 3 seconds for that same action when it's not recording.

Zoom for me is only for reframing purpose, it's very rare I use a zoom in post, only the rx10 forces me to use zooms in post because if I"m shooting something at the tele end of the lens and something happens in the room and I need to capture that I"m pulling that zoom lever like crazy pointing at the action and waiting 13 seconds before I"m fully wide...

Cliff Totten
July 27th, 2015, 09:36 AM
Just did a quick test:

Menu setting: "Normal"....

On "pause" zoom in = 3.5 seconds.
While recording zoom in = 11,5 - 12.0 seconds

Menu setting: "Fast"....

On "pause" zoom in = 2.5 seconds
#1 While recording zoom in = 11.0 - 12.0 seconds
#2 While recording zoom in = 2.5 seconds

Again this "fast" setting is really ugly recorded on video. It's really only used for framing the shot. It's so "clunky" and "sticky" in it's motion.

Noa Put
July 27th, 2015, 11:21 AM
Menu setting: "Fast"....

On "pause" zoom in = 2.5 seconds
#1 While recording zoom in = 11.0 - 12.0 seconds
#2 While recording zoom in = 2.5 seconds

Not sure if I understand it right, what's the difference between #1 and #2 for the fast setting?

Cliff Totten
July 27th, 2015, 01:27 PM
When you change the camera into the "fast" setting. You are now given the "smooth" #1 slow zoom AND this clunky ugly "fast" #2 zoom. The zoom rocker will go from speed 1 and "switch" into speed 2.

Noa Put
July 28th, 2015, 12:59 AM
How does that exactly work in the fast setting, is the speed controll based on how much you pull the zoomlever? Or does the camera start with a slow zoom and switch to a fast zoom? If that is the case, how long does it zoom slow before it switches to fast?

Dave Blackhurst
July 28th, 2015, 03:09 AM
The zoom lever should have two "positions", if it's like most sonys... it's a two stage switch mechanism on all the ones I've dealt with. Sony of course disabled the faster setting in video mode on prior cams - sounds like they basically have re-enabled it for 'crash zoom' if you hit the lever hard? And you'd still be able to gently trigger the "slow" zoom?

Peter Rush
July 28th, 2015, 12:28 PM
It's a great camera. I have been using the RX10 for a while now and really fits in with my current gear and workflow.

Video is great and the stills are great also. Image on the video side gets a bit noisy at ISO 3500 and over but hey… at that price it will do.

In fact my new go to kit is a Sony RX10 and Sony A7s. These fit into a backpack and I'm good to go.

Simon can you provide a link to that little movcam cage? Can you still get to all the controls easily?

Simon Denny
July 28th, 2015, 01:07 PM
Hi Peter,

The Movcam I have on the Sony A7s and purchased this through B&H.
B&H # MOMCSTHSA7S MFR # MOV-303-2201

The RX10 I use as is with no cage.

Cheers

Simon Denny
July 28th, 2015, 01:22 PM
I forgot to mention that the cage is excellent for the A7s which really helps with hand holding and stability also accessing controls on the A7s is easy, one just needs to position your hands and fingers and your good to go.

Peter Rush
July 29th, 2015, 09:36 AM
Looks good but had a closer look and won't accommodate my battery grip - sigh!