View Full Version : Taiyo Yuden shutting down optical disc production

Steven Davis
July 20th, 2015, 11:01 PM
Taiyo Yuden shutting down optical disc production - Myce.com (http://www.myce.com/news/victorjvc-media-shutting-down-in-december-76342/)

This just hurts my feelings.

James R. Wilson Sr.
December 6th, 2016, 08:38 AM
A sign of the times unfortunately Steven. You bring up a good point, as technology advances some businesses are just quietly shelved. I have 1,000 Taiyo DVD's in plastic wrap sitting in my equipment closet. They will most likely never be burned because 4.29GB has become a really inefficient way to back up or send files to a client. I shoot Canon 5DSR's on most of my assignments, at 144MB per image, not to mention 4K files. The DVD has gone the way of the Do-Do Bird I guess.

Something that you wouldn't think of, but I learned last week, the battery industry has gone just about the same way. AA, AAA, battery sales have fallen off the bottom of the sales charts. P&G bought a major battery brand, Duracel or Engergizer, a while back for a ton of money, just divested it to Berkshire at a 7 billion dollar loss because the smart phone and tablet market has decimated many of the main battery using product market, like point and shoot cameras.

Look at what has happen to the Photo Lab industry over the past decade, it pays to look ahead for all of our businesses. Problem is, as fast as it's changing, you almost have to have a crystal ball to predict it.

Steven Davis
December 6th, 2016, 09:01 AM
I just bought 200 or so, I've already started moving my clients to USB, but some still want DVD. I love those disks though.

Bruce Dempsey
December 8th, 2016, 02:33 PM
at .20 cents a disc they are the best way to give a client something assuming whatever it is will fit on a dvdr.
I've burnt 50000 dvds since 2005 but now the medium is scarcing up. the tayos were very reliable and the econo 100 pack in the shrink wrap served my needs well.
On a side note, I picked up a few hundred ridata red shrink wrap and 90% were not even recognized in the duplicator stock up when you can I suppose

Pete Cofrancesco
December 8th, 2016, 03:16 PM
My theatrical event customers still want dvds. I've come to depend TY especially watershield and value line. I'm going to have to find an alternative brand.