View Full Version : HPX600 2x digital extender quality.

Paul Anderegg
July 24th, 2015, 03:35 AM
HPX600 2x digital extender quality.

I am considering running a Canon HJ14x4.3 or Fujinon HA13x4.5 HD lens on an HPX600, shooting 720p60 resolution. I am wondering how well the 2x digital extender would work with this lens, considering my 720p record format. An HJ14x4.3 with digital 2x would get me to 120mm, the same as a 15x8 standard telephoto lens.

I would assume that engaging the digital 2x on the 2MP 1080p sensor would crop in the center, giving me an almost full raster 1MP 720p rectangle? I would be in 720 mode, so I am not sure if Panasonic digital 2x would crop the 1280x720 recorded signal, or the 1920x1080 sensor signal.

The lens I am getting with the camera is a Fujinon A22x7.8 SD lens, adequate for normal ENG work, but not suitable for extender operation, too soft. Anyone familiar with the HD wides above that can attest to how sharp they are in the center? My hope would be, sharp enough that I could use the digital 2x in 720p mode and have as much sharpness as the SD glass without the digital extender.

Thoughts?

Paul

Paul Anderegg
July 28th, 2015, 05:58 AM
Did some testing of the digital extender, and it seems to crop the record format 2x, not the actual sensor. If you are in 720p mode, it will crop you a 480p picture. Strangely enough, the 2x in 1080p mode doesn't look better than 720 2x, because it has interlaced streaking, where the less sharp 720 2x has smooth edges. 4x in 720p is useless, and about 2-3 times better in 1080p mode.

Also, my camera has a massive problem. The left half of the image has a misaligned focal plane. If you pan something slightly out of exact focus from the center to the left of the image, it will blur out severely. Also, centered images have severe red and blue chromatic abberation, at the same time, the left blur area has severe green chromatic abberation. A reflective white license plate with black text when in exact focus, the black letters are bright magenta! :-o

Anyone have experience with these single sensor cameras?

Paul

Daniel Epstein
July 29th, 2015, 10:50 AM
Paul,
The image problems you are describing could be your lens not working well with the camera. Am I correct in reading you are using a Fuji Standard Def lens on this camera? Of course it could be the camera body as well but you should try and isolate the issue.

Paul Anderegg
July 29th, 2015, 05:28 PM
The A22 lens had a problem, put an A15 in it's place for now, both lenses suffer severe CA, and full on left side out of focus. I am assuming this is because this camera may well REQUIRE an HD CAC lens. I found an XA17x7.6BERM CAC capable lens locally, making arrangements to put that on the camera. Overall, I would say that my old SPX800 looked just as sharp as this 600 with the SD glass, but the 800 didn't have the focal plane issues. So much for the idea of a cheap camera with a 22x lens. Should have gotten a PDW350.

FYI, I have used with success, a Canon J22/J11 SD combo on an old Varicam and HPX2000 without issue, this 600 single chip is not the same type of animal.

Paul

Daniel Epstein
July 30th, 2015, 01:14 PM
Yes the camera may need a CAC lens to work best... But if that doesn't solve your problem there may be an issue with the camera. I would talk to Panasonic if you don't think the CAC lens is the answer