View Full Version : Export Help - Before I throw my computer against the wall!

Diana Fisk
September 30th, 2015, 08:15 PM
Hi Everyone

I am trying to export a concert I filmed on 1080i in Premiere Pro 2015.0.2.

I have been struggling over the few days with the project looking fine in Premiere but once exported I can see flashes of white lines or the clip that was under the top clip in Premiere as though it has gone missing (if that makes sense).

I spoke to Adobe on the phone yesterday and they advised me to change the Video Rendering and Playback option to Mercury Playback Engine Software Only. I have done this and started the export process again only to find that now I am getting the horizontal jittery lines on the final output that I believe is an interlacing issue?

My question is what export settings should I be using in Premiere if this is 1080i footage and the output will be just to DVD anyway? I did change the field options for one clip which sorted it out but I have around 2 hours worth of clips and don't have time to manually change all of them.

Would any other settings on export assist? The use maximum render quality of frame blending or does this affect the quality of the final output.

Sigh. Any assistance would be great!

Thank you
Diana

Robert Young
September 30th, 2015, 09:36 PM
In the export settings you should be using "Format: MPEG2-DVD"
One potential critical issue is the frame order.
1080i video is interlaced UPPER FRAME FIRST
MPEG2-DVD format defaults to "Field Order:LOWER FIRST" in the export settings.
You should change that setting to UPPER FIRST.
If you still feel that you are getting interlace artifacts, you might try "Field Order: Progressive"
Creating a high quality DVD transcode can be frustrating, particularly from interlaced source files.
Blu Ray is a no brainer, going from 1080i source to 1080i Blu Ray- it always looks beautiful, but DVD can be a big PIA until you get your exact work flow perfected.
BTW, when you do get it right, save the export settings as a custom preset and maybe make some written notes as well for future reference.
Good luck

Ann Bens
October 2nd, 2015, 12:47 PM
Just use a mpeg2-dvd preset. Your source is interlaced so should the dvd. As pointed out before fields should be set to upper.
No frame blending and no preview files.
You can turn max render quality on if you do not have a mpe hardware, otherwise you can leave it off.

Paul Cronin
October 5th, 2015, 07:51 AM
Sorry to say this is a bug in the Adobe PP CC software and has been for the last year plus. Go on the Adobe forum and look into all the options by users, Adobe is not much help with this.

Ann Bens
October 6th, 2015, 04:04 AM
What bug would that be?

Paul Cronin
October 6th, 2015, 06:25 AM
The new Mac Pro hardware has a bug with PP CC that creates the horizontal lines flashing on and off through out videos on render out and on timelines. It is very well documented on the Adobe forums for the last 18 months.

Ann Bens
October 6th, 2015, 04:18 PM
That would be H.264 not mpeg2-dvd which one needs for dvd.

Paul Cronin
October 6th, 2015, 06:00 PM
Ok, if you say so, mine does it in the time line and at times I have to redo the project. It is not just h264

Noa Put
October 7th, 2015, 01:19 AM
If that is the case, why are you still using premiere? I would go mad if I had to redo a project and what guarantee do you have it would not happen again, and again? Being able to render out a project is a fundamental operation of a NLE, it's ridiculous to have to find workarounds.

Ann Bens
October 7th, 2015, 04:40 AM
Ok, if you say so, mine does it in the time line and at times I have to redo the project. It is not just h264
OS X Mavericks10.9.4 supposed to have fixed the problem.

Paul Cronin
October 7th, 2015, 06:16 AM
Noa,

I have 400 projects with the same company and I am always going back to old ones. So moving to a different NLE is not possible at this time.

Ann,
I have not heard that solves it. You could have just solved it I will upgrade the OS today.

Ann Bens
October 7th, 2015, 11:08 AM
Dont upgrade to El Capitan!!!!

Paul Cronin
October 7th, 2015, 12:14 PM
Upgraded to 10.9.5 and it is a lot better.

Ann Bens
October 7th, 2015, 03:41 PM
That is good to hear.

Paul Cronin
October 7th, 2015, 06:01 PM
Thank you Ann

John Richard
October 9th, 2015, 11:58 AM
How are you folks upgrading to Mavericks or Yosemite?
Once the flawed El Capitan went live, there is no way to upgrade tp Mavericks or Yosemite that I could find other than making an appt at an Apple Store and having them do it.
Apple removes all versions but their current OS from their site.

Jim Andrada
October 12th, 2015, 08:31 PM
I've had a local 3d party repair shop install back level versions for me so I could revive an old MacBook. In my case much older than Yosemite or Mavericks. Just a thought. My desktop systems are all Windows, notebooks are Macs, so I'm not much of an expert.

John Richard
October 13th, 2015, 08:43 AM
Thanks Jim. Was hoping there was a online location for these past OS installations versus having to disconnect raids, monitors, etc and hauling the MacPro to a vendor.

I've followed the rule of don't fix something that isn't broken and thus have remained with a stable OS. But that rule recently failed when CC 2015 did not work any longer with Mountain Lion. I had read there were problems with various drivers and software with Yosemite so I went with Mavericks which was reported as stable. Now I am back in the same boat; El Capitan is reported as currently problematic with CC 2015 and Adobe is recommending to stay with Yosemite for now.

This is just one of the many reasons our next machines will be Windows based; for whatever reasons, Apple does not seem to play nice with nVidia Cuda and Adobe for some time now.