View Full Version : Osmo 4k

Hubert Hofer
October 17th, 2015, 03:47 AM
There is a new 4K camera being promoted to be available in November, the OSMO 4K stabiliser combo. From what I have seen on the net this appears to be a pretty good setup.
Has anyone had their hands on one yet ?

Karl Walter Keirstead
October 17th, 2015, 06:36 PM
HDWarrior seems to have looked at it . . .

HD Warrior » Blog Archiv » DJI Osmo £549 plus vat (http://www.hdwarrior.co.uk/2015/10/17/dji-osmo-549-plus-vat/)

David Cleverly
October 18th, 2015, 07:37 PM
I would like to know if it can be externally powered via Micro USB or something similar.

Jody Arnott
October 19th, 2015, 04:32 AM
I doubt it, DJI seem to be big fans of selling heavily marked up extra batteries

Vishal Jadhav
October 29th, 2015, 02:02 AM
Hi,

Any one has landed their own hands on this Osmo, any views on how is the feel.

I am just looking at the standard 7 videos on the net,

would be helpful

Vishal Jadhav
November 1st, 2015, 01:58 AM
Guess DJI wants to be sure OSMO is known, in last few days they have updated many things on the site

Osmo - Videos | DJI (http://www.dji.com/product/osmo/video)

Noa Put
November 1st, 2015, 02:35 AM
Their "unboxing - part 1" video is hilarious, "remove the tape over the lid and flip over the cover" is said as instruction to open the box containing the Osmo.

Hubert Hofer
November 2nd, 2015, 02:53 AM
There's a 4K four thirds model as well but somewhat pricey though once they advertise it as splash resistant I'll get one.

Robin Davies-Rollinson
November 3rd, 2015, 12:23 PM
My Osmo arriving tomorrow.
At least I now know how to unbox it...:-)

Paul Cronin
November 3rd, 2015, 01:44 PM
Where did you buy it? I have been waiting on pre-order from B&H.

Robin Davies-Rollinson
November 3rd, 2015, 03:07 PM
From ProAv in UK.

Jody Arnott
November 4th, 2015, 05:55 PM
Mine should be here this afternoon. Excited!

Jody Arnott
November 4th, 2015, 09:33 PM
Well I've got mine. Initial thoughts:

- Build quality is very good
- Stabilisation is very good (as you'd expect) although you do get shakes if you move it up and down quickly.
- Image quality is the main downside - but I only bought this with the intention of buying the X5 camera. I don't think it's "professional" image quality, especially with the issues with moire and aliasing.
- Low light performance is terrible. It's a small sensor, no way around that.
- Having no aperture control makes things difficult in bright conditions (ND filters are a must). It takes the same filters as the Inspire 1.
- Battery life isn't great (45-60 mins). But the batteries are fairly affordable and charge quickly (1 hour).

So, lots of downsides in my opinion. It's 1/3 of the price of the Ronin-M, so some sacrifice is understandable. But paired with the X5 micro 4/3 camera, I think this will be a winner.

Robin Davies-Rollinson
November 6th, 2015, 03:33 PM
As Jody says, stabilisation is indeed very good.
This was a quick out-of-the- box test this morning. Hadn't gone into the menu to check shutter speed etc, so just shot at 4K 25p and rendered out in Sony Vegas to 1080 25p.
I need to set the camera up properly next time...

Osmo test in office on Vimeo

Noa Put
November 6th, 2015, 03:48 PM
That's the advantage of selling gimbal and camera combined, they can finetune the balancing settings in the factory so you don't have to deal with that anymore, that's the major shortcoming of all small 3 axis gimbals because they all require finetuning to get the shake or jitters out.

Robin Davies-Rollinson
November 6th, 2015, 04:11 PM
I have a suspicion that the X3 camera circuitry doesn't add any sharpness. I tried adding some in post and rendered out with the Avid codec to take into work - and it was like a different video!

Jody Arnott
November 15th, 2015, 03:42 AM
I used the Osmo (primarily the 1920x1080 120fps mode) it quite a bit yesterday when shooting a marathon. The footage it produces is stunning in terms of how smooth it is, but it's extremely soft - so much so that it looks out of focus. Has anyone had a play with slowmo yet? Any luck sharpening in post?

On another note, the recent firmware update seems to have mostly fixed the horizon tilt issue.

Rob Cantwell
November 17th, 2015, 01:12 PM
apparently they're offering some units for a trial period!

http://link.dji.com/u/gm.php?UID=hhM5siRFRh&ID=290636680_414737_704871

Noa Put
November 17th, 2015, 02:43 PM
apparently they're offering some units for a trial period!

Cool, I have a feeling one is coming my way :)

Paul Cronin
November 21st, 2015, 02:35 PM
I had one arrive on Friday. Took some clips with it today and will do more over the next week. So far looks like another POV option that is very easy to use and set up.