View Full Version : New FS700r questions

David Banner
October 20th, 2015, 01:25 PM
With the price drop, thinking of getting on board late with a new FS700r.

I already have batteries and lenses. I would later buy an Odyssee 7Q so I can shoot 2K slomotion and 4K when needed.
If buying the FS700r and 7Q new, what other expense(s) do I need to factor in order to be able to record 4K and 2K? Does the 7Q require an additional purchase still to enable the 4K/2K?
Is the 7Q still the best recorder to pair with the 700?
Can it record in 2K/4K besides the massive RAW format which I do not need?

Paul DeBaets
October 20th, 2015, 03:14 PM
Why not wait a few weeks for the Sony FS5?
So close in price & so much more camera.
I am currently working in Bentonville till Thursday. FYI

John Wiley
October 20th, 2015, 06:11 PM
When combined with the 7Q the FS700 does offer some advantages over the bare FS5:

- 4K 60p
- 4K 120p burst
- Continuous slow motion
- RAW (obviously)

Of course the FS5 should do all of this too with a 7Q, but if RAW/Prores/External recording is your end goal, the FS700 is the most bang for your buck. There's plenty of life in the old girl yet!

Also if you already have batteries for the FS700 that can be several hundred dollars additional savings over the FS5.

David Banner
October 20th, 2015, 10:11 PM
Thank you, Paul and John.

I am going to wait a while because I expect the FS5 is going to shake things up a bit, decreasing interest in the FS700 and O7Q, which hopefully will result in another price drop.
I'm just trying to get things sorted out in my mind so I can ultimately make a good decision. I really prefer internal recording vs external, but due to other factors I am willing to deal with it.

Dmitri Zigany
October 21st, 2015, 06:22 PM
With the price drop, thinking of getting on board late with a new FS700r.

I already have batteries and lenses. I would later buy an Odyssee 7Q so I can shoot 2K slomotion and 4K when needed.
If buying the FS700r and 7Q new, what other expense(s) do I need to factor in order to be able to record 4K and 2K? Does the 7Q require an additional purchase still to enable the 4K/2K?
Is the 7Q still the best recorder to pair with the 700?
Can it record in 2K/4K besides the massive RAW format which I do not need?

You need the Odyssey raw bundle to record the 2K/4K output of the FS700. That's a whopping $995...
The 7Q is the best recorder but also twice the price compared to the only competitor, Atomos Shogun. The Shogun is cheaper, comes ready to shoot with lots of accessories in a hard case. But it's limited to 30p in 4K and no 2K slow motion and not the 4K to HD that the 7Q has. So the Shogun is (much) cheaper but also a lot more limited.

David Banner
October 21st, 2015, 10:16 PM
Thank you Dmitri,
That is exactly what I was wondering. Wow. That adds a lot to the price!
I also realized that my original idea of powering the 7Q+ with my existing Sony L series batteries like the FS700 uses is probably not going to suffice. I've read they are hardly adequate, and at least need a double battery plate to use two and they drain fast. So that means instead adding something like V-mount which will require a rig to put it all together plus additional cabling.
So, even tripod usage is going to be more expensive and messy than I'd hoped.

I also was curious about the Shogun, but lacking the higher frame rates and 4K to HD is limiting, though it is much cheaper and still a useful device