View Full Version : Can I eliminate tripod bounce?

Chris Harding
October 21st, 2015, 04:55 AM
Hi Guys

I think one failing on my tripod mod plate on the FZ1000 is that you only have a 1" strip of plate that the camera mounts to and if I change settings on the camera I get a bit of "after bounce" which is worse of course if you have a tight zoom. I do have the OIS turned off .. I wonder if leaving the OIS on might make it worse? Any bright ideas from anyone....I might just have to go to a standard plate that has a bigger surface area against the camera

My handheld unit has no issue at all, on the tripod mounted camera, especially if I happen to bump it then I get jello for a few seconds afterwards!!

Gordon Hoffman
October 22nd, 2015, 06:39 AM
Chris
If it is the plate that is causing it could you use a thicker piece for the plate. I don't know the FZ1000 but I have the GH1 and 2 and it was a pain when you had to change batteries as I had to pull the plate off. I ended up making a new mounting plate and just notched it out enough to just get the battery door open yet leave a fair amount of surface area for the camera to sit on.
With the GH cameras when leaving the ois on I always had trouble with the image all of a sudden shifting when the camera wasn't moving. It was good after that shift if the camera wasn't moved again.

Gordon

Chris Harding
October 23rd, 2015, 08:35 PM
Hi Gordon

Thanks for the input. I think the rig my A-Cam sits on is a bit crappy to be honest ...I have a 1" x 1" aluminium square tube that goes under the camera and has my receivers on each side and the square tube attaches to the camera via an aluminium plate. I think the issue is a mechanical one as my tripod base plate which has the QR plate attached to it is fastened to the underside of the square tube so there must be some flexing there I think ...I didn't think that one out very well. I'm thinking rather have the QR plate as close as possible to the camera base and sort out another way to mount the receivers...I'm pretty sure that's where the issue is coming from!!!

J.T. Price
October 24th, 2015, 02:04 AM
If I understand your description then the best solution might be to isolate the camera and the receivers, attaching the receivers via clamps to the tripod legs.

Chris Harding
October 25th, 2015, 02:27 AM
Hi JT

The issue was that the camera was attached to the rig (1" square aluminium tube) and then the plate was fitted under the tube which allowed it to flex. I now have just the plate under the camera and QR plate and it's dead stable! The receivers and my mixer I now have over the top of the camera and not anywhere near the plate and they simply attach to the top via the hotshoe fitting and it works perfectly. Yes, making the extra remote (fixed to the tripod) would work well too