View Full Version : 4k 4096x2304 clips, what hardware to playback?

Dave Morgan
November 16th, 2015, 01:26 AM
What do I need to playback clips in Premiere that are 4k resolution? I have a Core i7 920 18gig ram a GTX 570 HD , 250 SSD C Drive. 1 drive for video clips.

Would I be able to get it to play if I made a raid 0? or will I have to upgrade other PC parts, or even get a new PC.

The clip is 4k in the Cineform 12bit

Is there another 4k codec that is lighter on the system? 1 min in the Cinform codec is about 36 gigs.

thanks

Robert Young
November 16th, 2015, 10:14 PM
I would think a RAID 0 would be very helpful.
I used to edit exclusively in Cineform HD and always used a RAID 0 as the media drive.
The CF codec is "lightly" compressed and not a big strain on your CPU & RAM in the way that highly compressed codecs like AVCHD are.
The challenge with CF editing is the large size of the data stream- so in most systems, success will come down to the speed of your drives
I think your CPU and RAM are adequate.
Add a RAID and you should be fine...

Noa Put
November 17th, 2015, 03:53 AM
One more vote for a raid, 36gig for one minute of footage is a enormous bitrate though, what is the footage you are converting from?

Jody Arnott
November 27th, 2015, 07:10 PM
36GB per min is around 600MB per second (if my calculations are correct). Even most RAID arrays won't handle that if you're using mechanical drives (unless you're using more than a few of them).

Is there a way you can convert to Cineform but at a lower bitrate, closer to that of what your original footage is shot at?