View Full Version : Decklink Studio 4K with Premiere over HDMI?

Nigel Davey
January 26th, 2016, 01:12 PM
I'm having a new edit system built and the company doing it was considering putting a Blackmagic Decklink Studio 4K card inside. That's because I want to output my Premiere timeline to an external 4K TV (a decent domestic UHD model, not a megabucks studio grade monitor) over HDMI.

However looking at reviews for the Decklink card on Amazon, things do not look good: http://www.amazon.com/Blackmagic-Design-DeckLink-Capture-Playback/product-reviews/B00K2BYIUK

One thing I did pick up is the Decklink Studio 4K blurb is it only has HDMI 1.4b and not 2.0 (found on the Decklink Extreme 12G version). But I assume this shouldn't be a problem (in theory) since HDMI 2.0 (found on many newer UHD TV's) is backwards compatible, and thus would still give me my 4K image even over 1.4 to grade with. Or am I missing something?

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone is currently using the Decklink Studio 4K card to output to a 4K/UHD TV over HDMI? If so have you had any problems? Also are you able to output in both 4K and 1080 (timeline parameters and footage allowing)?

Alternatively can anyone recommend a different card that will allow me to break out my Premiere timeline over HDMI to a 4K/UHD TV?

Many thanks.