View Full Version : Audio on camera, not on PC

Andrew Taylor
March 4th, 2016, 10:36 AM
I'm experiencing an issue with video captured with a Canon XA20. Several AVCHD video clips were captured using 28mbps LPCM (59.94P) and 28 Mbps (59.94P). The audio in all videos plays fine from the SD card with the camera on Media mode. When the clips are read from the SD card using a computer (Windows 7) only the 28 Mbps files have audio.

I have tested the audio by playing the files with WMP v. 12, with VLC v. 2.1.5. I played the files from the SD card, and also copied the files to the computer's HD and played the files from there.

I tried importing the PCM files through the Pixela Data Import Utility that came with the XA20, but that did not make a difference (kind of useless software, btw; it does not let you choose individual files to process, and there is no browsing or preview).

I also imported the files (from the SD card and from the computer's HD) into Premiere Pro 5.5 (both through the Project box and the Media Browser box). The audio is still not there for the faulty files (there is not even an audio track on the timeline).

Media Info shows that the difference between the two recording modes is that the audio in the first one is PCM while the second one is AC-3. AC-3 is the one that plays fine on the computer and imports fine into PP.

I tried ripping the audio track from the files on the SD card using VLC as suggested online (https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/3/924619), but no audio was found.

An old thread here suggested transcoding (http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xa-vixia-series-avchd-camcorders/518373-new-xa20-user-questions.html) but no details were provided.

So, how could I get the files that are on the SD card and that obviously have a sound track (as the audio plays on the camera) imported into the computer, with a working sound track?

Jeff Pulera
March 4th, 2016, 01:33 PM
Hi Andrew,

The file handling and import method can play a role. For AVCHD, copy entire contents of SD card to a unique colder on hard drive. No processing, no changes, copy it ALL. Then in Premiere, import using Media Browser rather than the old "File > Import" method.

Try this in a New Project, so there is no conflict with maybe the same clips having been previously imported. Important to keep the folder structure and metadata intact.

If that doesn't work, then maybe there is something in the format that is not supported in CS5.5 which is several years old. You could try converting clips with free HandBrake software.

Thanks

Andrew Taylor
March 4th, 2016, 03:58 PM
I'll try that. I thought if there was a PCM codec missing, the data import tool would install it. But apparently that did not happen. I should have done a restore point before installing that software, so that I can do a clean removal. My old Vixias shipped with a media browser of sorts, that was better than this data import tool, but I don't know if they would do a better job processing MTS files with a PCM or LPCM audio track.

Dave Baker
March 5th, 2016, 12:56 AM
I should have done a restore point before installing that software, so that I can do a clean removal.Try IOBit Uninstaller (freeware), it should locate and uninstall the software completely as long as you choose the option to scan for remnants after the initial uninstall. Sorry, I have forgotten what the option is called.

Dave