View Full Version : Pilotfly H2 Gimbal

Craig Seeman
March 23rd, 2016, 08:41 AM
Pilotfly H2 Gimbal

Impressive specs
PILOTFLY H2 3axis Stabilizer for DSLR / Mirrorless Camera - Copter-RC (http://copter-rc.com/en/catalog/80-pilotfly-h2-3axis-stabilizer-for-dslr-mirrorless-camera.html)

Has encoders like CAME-TV Single. Capacity 2.2kg (about 4.8 lbs).
Has two handle option.

Good walking and running examples.
Pilotfly H2(*行・走行サンプル*像)walking and running sample - YouTube

Craig Seeman
March 23rd, 2016, 08:46 AM
Even though in Japanese these reviews give you a good idea of the feature set given the visual walkthrough.

Pilotfly H2 Review1 (3-Axis Brushless Gimbal Stabilizer) - YouTube

Two handle walkthrough.
Pilotfly H2 Review4(2handle variation) - YouTube

Craig Seeman
March 23rd, 2016, 08:58 AM
Looks like GH4 with 14-140mm lens.
PILOTFLY H2 Test footage - GH4-14140 @ 14mm & 140mm - YouTube

Mark OConnell
March 26th, 2016, 11:41 AM
Have you used one of these?

Craig Seeman
March 26th, 2016, 02:35 PM
Nope but I'm most interested since I'm looking at one handed 3-axis gimbals.
I'd want to use a Blackmagic Pocket, Metabones Speepbooster, EF lenses. weight capacity is important.

Came-TV Single has encoders but the payload is too light (1.2 kg, 2.6 lbs)
Beholder DS1 looks good and I have tested that. Good capacity (1.7 kg, 3.7 lbs) but no encoders.
Nebula 4200 good capacity (1.6kg, 3.5 lbs) but build quality issues and not clear about the importance of their two handed springs.
PilotFly H2 seems to led with encoders and capacity (2.2kg, 4.8 lbs).
I'm hoping to see some user reviews and how well it's received at NAB as well as any new competition.

Craig Seeman
March 26th, 2016, 02:38 PM
Dave Dougdale of Learning DSLR, who has the older PilotFly H1, has been testing the H2 and liking it. Looking forward to his review in a couple of weeks.

Pilotfly H2 First Test - Not a Review - YouTube

Pilotfly H2 with 55mm Lens Test - YouTube

Noa Put
March 26th, 2016, 03:01 PM
Dslr's with a flip out screen open up on the left side, they always have and yet pilotfly still manage to not take this into consideration.

Mark OConnell
March 27th, 2016, 01:10 AM
I had the Beholder and it was close but not quite. I'm hoping some new options will emerge at NAB.

Noa Put
March 27th, 2016, 01:28 AM
The ds1? What did you not like about it?

Mark OConnell
March 27th, 2016, 11:56 AM
It would occasionally spazz out and need to be powered off and back on in order to regain its composure. The issue may well have been just with the one I had, but I didn't want to go any further with it.

Craig Seeman
April 6th, 2016, 08:50 PM
Dave Dugdale review

Pilotfly H2 Review - YouTube

Khoi Pham
April 8th, 2016, 05:57 PM
Dslr's with a flip out screen open up on the left side, they always have and yet pilotfly still manage to not take this into consideration.

You can do it from either side now.

Buba Kastorski
April 11th, 2016, 07:29 AM
i ordered one, but there is a long line up to get H2, can't wait to test it, theoretically it should handle 1DX OK

Slavik Boyechko
April 27th, 2016, 10:08 PM
Hey guys -

I picked up an H2 (and two-handle accessory) recently and looking forward to doing a review on Newsshooter. Until then, feel free to ask me any questions about its usage.

So far, it works quite well with the Canon XC10, absolutely no wobble or freak outs no matter where I point it. Used it briefly on a shoot in both one handle and two handle configurations, and also with one handle upside down for easy walking.

I also got it balanced with a C100 and 10-18mm lens, but fit-wise it was very very tight, and not recommended at all. The height of the y-axis had to be lowered so much that the camera was barely holding on. But interesting that the motors could carry that much of a payload.

Cheers,
Slavik

Buba Kastorski
April 28th, 2016, 07:30 AM
I also got it balanced with a C100 and 10-18mm lens,

Wow:)
where did you get it from, i have it on order from B&H for three weeks and nothing :(

Craig Seeman
April 29th, 2016, 11:04 AM
Slavik, how to you find it handling vertical bounce from walking/running with the cameras you've tested?
I've seen widely varying examples including some impressive running footage and others that practically look like it's on a pogo stick (ugh).

Noa Put
April 29th, 2016, 11:33 AM
The gimbal doesn't remove vertical bounce, if it's too obvious then a wrong walking technique was used.

Slavik Boyechko
April 30th, 2016, 10:52 PM
With such a lightweight gimbal and lightweight cameras, you're bound to see more up and down walking motion than heavier rigs.

The advantage of this one, so far, is that it's very small and super user friendly, simple to balance, doesn't wobble even if you point it directly up at some trees or down at your feet, has encoders so if the horizon is out of balance you can simply hold it in the right position for a couple seconds and it'll reset (has been very helpful in a car). There are a few different modes, but one really nice one is mode 3 which keeps left/right pan locked straightaway (you can adjust it with the built in joystick), so super straight slider-like shots or up and down jib-like shots are easy to achieve. Also the two handles are a must, I think, for extended shooting, but it's nice to switch to one handed for low-profile shooting on the streets. I like to flip it upside down so it looks like I'm just carrying a camera down alongside my legs, but can actually be shooting.

One thing I've already learned is you have to get a separate battery charger for the Li-Ion batteries in the two-handle accessory. I found one on Amazon for about $20 that is supposed to automatically detect the special Li-Ion charge requirements.

Craig Seeman
May 1st, 2016, 10:05 PM
Although in my very post on the this thread, the walking/running video is unusually smooth.

In my next post there are two videos and in the second video do note his walking technique examples. Apparently the angle of the handle can help to some extent see 2:54 on. Unfortunately the forum doesn't resolve the time link so you'll have to shuttle to that point. It's almost as if at that angle the arms take on some of the role of a "4th axis." Notice his walking shots about a minute later. Alas it's really just a walking technique but, none the less, interesting.

https://youtu.be/DRPko1Pts3c?t=2m54s

Slavik Boyechko
May 11th, 2016, 12:05 AM
The Newsshooter first look/review is forthcoming. In the meantime, here's a video showing a variety of XC10 footage on the Pilotfly: Pilotfly H2 - Canon XC10 demo on Vimeo

The music is pretty dramatic, eh?

I did a few tests down my driveway and found little difference in up-and-down motion between walking with the camera sitting below the gimbal, versus having it sit above at an angle, like the review video shows. I ended up leaving it in the above mode just because the XC10's screen is easier to see, and you can have the camera up closer to the eye line.

At any rate, shooting in 4k and applying a very small amount of stabilization does a good job of removing slight up and down motion, though you still want to walk lightly. The H2's Mode 3 helps in that it locks both the pan and tilt movement, making it a lot easier to do a very straight walk forward or backward.

Dan Brockett
May 11th, 2016, 09:01 PM
Very nice test clip. Thanks for posting that, Oregon is beautiful.

Slavik Boyechko
May 11th, 2016, 09:37 PM
Thanks Dan. The first part is Anchorage, Alaska, which this time of year is not as pretty as the Oregon coast. :-)

Mark OConnell
May 12th, 2016, 09:13 AM
That's looking good!

Mike Paterson
May 21st, 2016, 03:58 AM
Hi Slavik - I'm thinking about the same pairing of H2 + XC10. Does the combination work well for you? Did you have any trouble balancing the camera or have to do much tweaking with the settings on the H2? Also, how well do you find the autofocus on the XC10 performs while on the gimbal? Any other issues/advice for this combination?

Buba Kastorski
May 24th, 2016, 08:50 AM
I an very impressed with the product! Great built quality, easy to balance, very long battery life plus5 different modes of operation and the 'home' position is very handy. While i am waiting for DXmkii, I tried it with caged a6300 - amazing.

Slavik Boyechko
May 24th, 2016, 02:07 PM
Hi Mike - I emailed you back. Cheers -

Hi Slavik - I'm thinking about the same pairing of H2 + XC10. Does the combination work well for you? Did you have any trouble balancing the camera or have to do much tweaking with the settings on the H2? Also, how well do you find the autofocus on the XC10 performs while on the gimbal? Any other issues/advice for this combination?

Mark OConnell
July 10th, 2016, 11:21 AM
Has anybody heard anything about when these are expected to be more available?

Buba Kastorski
July 11th, 2016, 11:52 AM
it's in stock @ B&H (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Pilotfly+H2&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=) now