View Full Version : Sony X3000 Action Cam with BOSS in 4K!

Pages : [1] 2

Mark Rosenzweig
June 22nd, 2016, 06:12 PM
FDR-X3000 (http://www.sony.jp/actioncam/products/FDR-X3000/)

Video shows walking with the camera, and no shakes. Also BOSS works in HFR.

Other improvements are flat bottom (finally), less lens distortion, and AE shift. Also one can set the WB temperature - no more silly cloud and light bulb symbols, new menu system, and more. Still has external mic in, ability to power with an external battery, time code.

Luis A. Diaz
June 28th, 2016, 09:44 PM
Hi Mark:
Now this is really a game changer in Action cam, I always wanted the Image Stabilization for 4K in the FDR-1000 but now even a BOSS system in 4K is really cool and also choice of angle of view for wide,medium and narrow is also a welcome feature, the fact that the stabilization is on camera for 4K in an Action Cam will sure be a problem for the GoPro.
Any idea when it will be available???? by the translation of the price in Japanese Yen it looks like it will be about the same price as the 1000.

Thanks,
Luis

Luis A. Diaz
August 25th, 2016, 07:12 PM
Hi all
t has been more than two months on the 1st of September that this new camera has been out and available in Japan, I see new videos every day on Youtube from people using it.
does any one has any idea when it will be available in the USA ??? Sony site does not even mention it for preorder

Thanks,
Luis

Wacharapong Chiowanich
August 28th, 2016, 08:22 PM
In Asia I also haven't seen it on sale anywhere except Japan and only in a Japanese version. Maybe this unusually long delay has been due to parts shortage as the result of the Kumamoto earthquake? Sony may have to prioritize their available resources to supply the most important markets such as cellphone and fullframe sensors first before clearing the backlogs somewhere down.

Anyway this camera is truly amazing based on the Japanese videos I have seen. Far less barrel distortion than the X1000's non-stabilized 4K at the expense of more limited FoV but this can actually work to its advantage because many people, myself included, prefer a more conservative and realistically looking FoV from action footage than the around 170 degrees captured by the X1000 and Go Pro Black. The much more stable footage is of course where it has no comparison.

Mark Watson
August 28th, 2016, 11:30 PM
Some more pictures of the X3000.

????.com - ??? SONY FDR-X3000R W [????4K??????????? ??????? ????????????? ????]?????? (http://www.yodobashi.com/%E3%82%BD%E3%83%8B%E3%83%BC-SONY-FDR-X3000R-W-%E3%83%87%E3%82%B8%E3%82%BF%E3%83%AB4K%E3%83%93%E3%83%87%E3%82%AA%E3%82%AB%E3%83%A1%E3%83%A9%E3%83%A C%E3%82%B3%E3%83%BC%E3%83%80%E3%83%BC-%E3%82%A2%E3%82%AF%E3%82%B7%E3%83%A7%E3%83%B3%E3%82%AB%E3%83%A0-%E3%83%A9%E3%82%A4%E3%83%96%E3%83%93%E3%83%A5%E3%83%BC%E3%83%AA%E3%83%A2%E3%82%B3%E3%83%B3%E3%82%AD% E3%83%83%E3%83%88-%E3%83%9B%E3%83%AF%E3%82%A4%E3%83%88/pd/100000001003146406/)

Mark

Mark Rosenzweig
August 29th, 2016, 09:15 PM
In Asia I also haven't seen it on sale anywhere except Japan and only in a Japanese version. Maybe this unusually long delay has been due to parts shortage as the result of the Kumamoto earthquake? Sony may have to prioritize their available resources to supply the most important markets such as cellphone and fullframe sensors first before clearing the backlogs somewhere down.

Anyway this camera is truly amazing based on the Japanese videos I have seen. Far less barrel distortion than the X1000's non-stabilized 4K at the expense of more limited FoV but this can actually work to its advantage because many people, myself included, prefer a more conservative and realistically looking FoV from action footage than the around 170 degrees captured by the X1000 and Go Pro Black. The much more stable footage is of course where it has no comparison.

What do you mean by a "Japanese version"? The menus are in English and the camera is NTSC/PAL switchable. So, what is special about it?

Wacharapong Chiowanich
August 30th, 2016, 04:52 AM
I saw the camera in a big store in Akihabara but not sure if it's Yodabashi and it was not in the "export" section where both PAL and NTSC video gear with full Engish menu was normally on sale. It was in the larger Japanese section where most products were intended for the domestic market only. Couldn't figure out all the Japanese signs and the salesperson in that section could (understandably) barely speak English.

Still don't get it if it's a true worldcam with full English menu why they haven't made it available elsewhere in limited number (no production variance required) to at least gain more sales.

Mark Rosenzweig
August 30th, 2016, 11:19 AM
Just to clarify:

1. All the menu items are strictly icons. There is no language in the camera.

2. While the "Japanese" version comes with a manual in Japanese, you can download the manual in English from any Sony site in any country, including the US.

3. The camera is NTSC/PAL switchable.

Thus, the FDR X3000 can be used in any country. There is only one version, just like the X1000.

You can order one via Amazon from Japanese sellers for less than $600 including shipping.

I don't know why it is not marketed outside Japan (yet). The new AS50 Sony action cam is, and has the exact same (new) menu system and buttons as the X3000 (except for the 4K choices). Indeed, the manual for the AS50 is the same as the X3000.

Mark Watson
August 30th, 2016, 04:04 PM
At the Yodobashi store, they also have the FDR-AX40 and -AX55 on display. They only have Japanese menus. I noticed Amazon.com offers all these Japanese domestic models for sale, so it seems you could try to order them, including the X3000. The AX40 has time code, but is smaller than the AX53.

Mark

Mark Watson
September 1st, 2016, 05:03 AM
Picked one up today. I don't know how they could fit the BOSS inside this body. The menu is all English. On the box, there's a note "For US customers only..." (tells you to send to Sony for repair, and not return it where you bought it). Maybe it will turn up outside Japan eventually. Lots of time code options. Only comes in white.

Mark

Luis A. Diaz
September 1st, 2016, 06:29 AM
Hi All:
Sony FDR-x3000 announced at IFA CONSUMER ELECTRONIC SHOW IN BERLIN, starts shipping in November Meet FDR-X3000R; the new BOSS of the Action Cam world - Sony Corporation (http://presscentre.sony.eu/pressreleases/meet-fdr-x3000r-the-new-boss-of-the-action-cam-world-1539291)

Thanks,
Luis

Charles W. Hull
September 4th, 2016, 10:31 PM
Just to clarify:

2. While the "Japanese" version comes with a manual in Japanese, you can download the manual in English from any Sony site in any country, including the US.

I can't find the manual on the U.S. Sony site. The Japanese site only has Japanese. Is there another country site with an English manual?

Mark Watson
September 5th, 2016, 01:41 AM
FDR-X3000 English Manual

http://helpguide.sony.net/cam/1640/v1/en/print.pdf

Charles W. Hull
September 5th, 2016, 09:36 AM
FDR-X3000 English Manual

http://helpguide.sony.net/cam/1640/v1/en/print.pdf

Perfect Mark, thanks!

Mark Watson
September 5th, 2016, 08:04 PM
Deleted.... Experiencing Technical Difficulties. Please Stand By....

Mark Watson
September 5th, 2016, 08:07 PM
Haven't had a chance to put it through all the paces yet but some initial observations:

- The batteries take about 4 hours to charge, and shooting 4K 30P 100Mbps don't last too long. I bought 2 extra batteries (one is included) but didn't get the AC charger, which you will want to have so you can charge more than one battery at a time. There is only one charger/USB cable in the kit, so you cannot charge the camera and the wrist watch LCD remote simultaneously. So maybe I need an extra cable plus the AC charger.

- The camera over heats and stops recording. Had it recording 4K 30P 100Mbps with Wi-Fi and GPS enabled. Room temp was 88 deg. F. I noticed after 15 minutes the temp warning icon appeared, and at 24 minutes, the camera displayed an over-temp indication and stopped recording. Camera temp (checked with IR thermometer) was 120 deg. F.

- When put in the waterproof enclosure and submerged, the camera didn't over-heat.

- When put in the waterproof enclosure and not under water, the camera over heated and stopped recording in about 15 minutes.

- I tried my wired remote control, that I use on the AX100, and it didn't work with this camera, so no Lanc capability (neither does the AX33).

Mark

Mark Watson
September 5th, 2016, 08:16 PM
Deleted.. double-post.

Mark Rosenzweig
September 5th, 2016, 08:46 PM
Haven't had a chance to put it through all the paces yet but some initial observations:

- The batteries take about 4 hours to charge, and shooting 4K 30P 100Mbps don't last too long. I bought 2 extra batteries (one is included) but didn't get the AC charger, which you will want to have so you can charge more than one battery at a time. There is only one charger/USB cable in the kit, so you cannot charge the camera and the wrist watch LCD remote simultaneously. So maybe I need an extra cable plus the AC charger.

- The camera over heats and stops recording. Had it recording 4K 30P 100Mbps with Wi-Fi and GPS enabled. Room temp was 88 deg. F. I noticed after 15 minutes the temp warning icon appeared, and at 24 minutes, the camera displayed an over-temp indication and stopped recording. Camera temp (checked with IR thermometer) was 120 deg. F.

- When put in the waterproof enclosure and submerged, the camera didn't over-heat.

- When put in the waterproof enclosure and not under water, the camera over heated and stopped recording in about 15 minutes.

- I tried my wired remote control, that I use on the AX100, and it didn't work with this camera, so no Lanc capability (neither does the AX33).

Mark

While this is useful information, is this what you do first when you get a new camera - just run it continuously to see how long it lasts? Nothing about video or stills quality? performance of the new, amazing stabilizer?

Just to put this in perspective: The Sony RX100 IV can only shoot 5 minutes of 4K video; hard wired limit. The Panasonic LX100 is hard-limited in 4K to 15 minutes. The GoPro heats up badly, first making the videos soft and then quitting. The Samsung 360 Gear loses focus after 5 minutes of shooting and then shuts down soon thereafter.

You don't use an action cam, or a small camera, to shoot a concert or a speech or a complete wedding.

The X3000 can be remotely controlled by either a cell phone or its tiny liveview remote; with those you can control just about every setting on the camera, and from long distances, and see what the camera sees as well. And you are worried about wired Lanc control? Why? Again, that is your first priority for a wifi-enabled action cam, Lanc control?

Ron Evans
September 6th, 2016, 05:32 AM
s.

Mark

The AX33 like my AX53 requires a different LANC controller than in the past because the USB connector is different. The connection with the controllers of the new Sony tripods work. I have a Sony VCT-VPR100 that has cables for all the Sony cameras. Why do you want a wired controller?

Ron Evans

Mark Rosenzweig
September 6th, 2016, 10:54 AM
The Sony VP-R1 wired remote works with the X3000. This is the current protocol that Sony uses for all of its cameras and camcorders, which have multi-terminals (micro-usb form). This list includes DSC-HX300, DSC-HX50V, DSC-RX100M2, NEX-3NL, SLT-A57, SLT-A58, DSC-RX100M2, M3, M4, RX10, II and II, NEX-3NL, Alpha a7, Alpha 7R, Alpha A5000, Alpha A3000, HDR-CX220, HDR-CX230, HDR-CX290, HDR-CX380, HDR-CX430V, HDR-PJ230, HDR-PJ380, HDR-PJ430V, HDR-PJ650V, HDR-PJ790V, AX100, AX53, etc.

So, not only does the X3000 have wired remote capability (why would anyone care?) and wireless remote capability through Bluetooth and wifi using a cellphone or its own live-view remote, it also works with Sony IR remotes! It has more remote options than any camera.

Oh, but the X3000 does not have a SCSI port or a serial port or a VGA port.

Mark Watson
September 6th, 2016, 03:28 PM
I know about the wireless remote capability. There's a 70 page manual that covers that. I read in the main manual that when shooting 4K, battery life will be cut down to half when using the Wi-Fi, to about 25 minutes. I don't have a scenario in mind where I'd use the wired remote option, just want to find out what the camera can/can't do just in case I would want to control it some way other than wireless. If all I want to do is start/stop record, wired remote is good enough for that. Not planning to shoot an interview or wedding with this, not saying anyone shouldn't either. Just because it's an "action" cam doesn't mean you can't use it for something other than the examples shown in the marketing brochure.

The micro USB jack on this camera is the same as on the AX100 and my wired remote was at hand so I plugged it in. Didn't work. There's no mention in the manual of using a wired remote.

As stated previously, I haven't had a chance to put the camera through its paces, no real opportunity to shoot an "action" scene outdoors in sunshine. I haven't watched any, but I hear about videos being posted on-line for this camera already.

Mark

Ron Evans
September 6th, 2016, 03:57 PM
The AX100 and the AX53 have different protocols. The AX100 will work with converter cables from normal LANC controllers. The AX53 will not.

Ron Evans

Mark Rosenzweig
September 6th, 2016, 06:22 PM
I used the new finger grip with the lvr3 LiveView wifi remote, one hand:

Sony FDR X3000 4K Test Video: BOSS on, no active, 60 Mbps on Vimeo

It does yield steady shots, but walking while shooting is a no go (at least with Active off). Active on reduces resolution and crops but gives even more stability.

Mark Rosenzweig
September 7th, 2016, 06:12 PM
Sony FDR X3000 4K Test Video: Old and New Campus on Vimeo

More handheld, 100 Mbps, Vivid.

Mark Rosenzweig
September 9th, 2016, 09:02 AM
From Sony PR:

The new Sony FDR-X3000 will be sold as body only for about $400 US ($550 CA), and will be offered as a kit (model FDR-X3000R) with the new Live-View Remote for about $550 US ($700 CA).

The new Sony HDR-AS300 will be sold as a body only for about $300 US ($400 CA) and will be offered as a kit (model HDR-AS300R) with the new Live-View Remote for about $450 US ($550 CA).

The new AKA-FGP1 finger grip will be sold for about $25 US ($40 CA), and the AKA-MCP1 lens shield will be sold for about $35 US ($50 CA).

All products will be available in North America in late September at authorized dealers.

Luis A. Diaz
September 9th, 2016, 11:55 AM
Hi Mark:
THAT IS GREAT NEWS, I WAS GOING TO ORDER FROM JAPAN, BUT I CAN WAIT.
THE PRICES QUOTED FOR THE USA ARE ALSO SUPER DUPER.

CAN YOU PROVIDE A LINK????........ I TALKED TO B&H THE OTHER DAY AND THEY HAD NO CLUE

THANKS,
LUIS

Mark Rosenzweig
September 9th, 2016, 12:20 PM
Hi Mark:
THAT IS GREAT NEWS, I WAS GOING TO ORDER FROM JAPAN, BUT I CAN WAIT.
THE PRICES QUOTED FOR THE USA ARE ALSO SUPER DUPER.

CAN YOU PROVIDE A LINK????........ I TALKED TO B&H THE OTHER DAY AND THEY HAD NO CLUE

THANKS,
LUIS

FDR-X3000 4K Action Cam with Wi-FiŽ & GPS | FDR-X3000 / FDR-X3000R | Sony US (http://www.sony.com/electronics/actioncam/fdr-x3000-body-kit)

Note: The posted price for the kit (camera plus LVR3 is obviously wrong). The camera alone price is indeed $399. That is $100 less than the X1000 was selling for when it came out, and the X3000 is better in many, many ways.

Mark Rosenzweig
September 10th, 2016, 03:51 PM
Sony FDR X3000 4K Low-Light Test Video: Train and Subway Stations in NYC on Vimeo

Charles W. Hull
September 11th, 2016, 09:32 AM
Got one from Japan yesterday, and spent a little time with it. BOSS is very impressive. Haven't done any mounting so don't know yet how it handles vibration. Also, no experience yet with longer runs and possibly overheating. The iPad interface seems to work well, and ultimately I want to know how well it works with multiple cameras. Also, I'd like to use GPS logging - any clues how to make this display with the ActionCam software?

Mark Rosenzweig
September 11th, 2016, 01:53 PM
Got one from Japan yesterday, and spent a little time with it. BOSS is very impressive. Haven't done any mounting so don't know yet how it handles vibration. Also, no experience yet with longer runs and possibly overheating. The iPad interface seems to work well, and ultimately I want to know how well it works with multiple cameras. Also, I'd like to use GPS logging - any clues how to make this display with the ActionCam software?

This is a video I made using the X1000 and the Action Cam software using GPS logging. I learned how to do it reading the help in the software. At that time it would only produce HD, not 4K, video output with the GPS overlay. I have not checked if that is changed.

Sony FDR-X1000V HD Test Video with GPS Info (Speed, Location): Ride on a Turbocharged WRX on Vimeo

Mark Rosenzweig
September 12th, 2016, 04:26 PM
Sony FDR X3000 4K Video: NYC Street Fair on Vimeo

All handheld, one hand.

Mark Rosenzweig
September 15th, 2016, 04:52 PM
In the waterproof case.

The Sony FDR X3000 Visits the Washington Square Fountain in 4K on Vimeo

Charles W. Hull
September 18th, 2016, 08:12 AM
This is a video I made using the X1000 and the Action Cam software using GPS logging. I learned how to do it reading the help in the software. At that time it would only produce HD, not 4K, video output with the GPS overlay. I have not checked if that is changed.

I got GPS working okay with the Action Cam software. Yes, it does produce 4K video. Also, the GPS log files work okay directly with Dashware. However the GPS data doesn't seem to have altitude, which does limit the usefulness.

Mark Rosenzweig
September 19th, 2016, 06:45 AM
Besides the fact that the new model has BOSS, there is a big difference in FOV. This video shows that the fisheye effect is much more pronounced on the older model. This was shot using both cameras from exactly the same spot under the same lighting (two levels):

Comparison of Sony Action 4K Action Cams: X1000 vs. X3000 on Vimeo

Contrast may be slightly higher, with more sharpening, in the older model.

Mark Rosenzweig
September 21st, 2016, 04:54 PM
One big improvement of the X3000 over the X1000 is now you can shoot 4K time-lapses. In the X1000 the jpegs for time-lapse mode were at most 1920x1080. Now they can be 3840x2160 (UHD).

The surprise (to me) was, and this may be true for all time-lapse pics in all cameras, the time-lapse jpegs are 4:2:2. Now, all consumer cameras produce video that is 4:2:0 (as does the X3000). So we get better chroma subsampling for the time-lapse videos (yes, still 8-bit)!

To take advantage of this I rendered the 4K time-lapse video using a codec that was also 4:2:2 (almost all are 4:2:0) and uploaded the 4:2:2 video to Vimeo. In Sony Vegas Pro that is XAVC intra, which renders at 280 Mbps in 10 bit and 4:2:2. It has a suffix of mfx. Won't play in Windows Media Player (you have to download codec packs). But Vimeo will and did take it.

For time-lapse, there are also two useful features: you can lock WB and you can lock exposure (new in the X3000)! This is very useful to insure no flickering.

So, here is the X3000 test 4K time-lapse:

Sony FDR X3000 4K Time-Lapse: Shot 4:2:2 and Encoded 4:2:2 (XAVC Intra) on Vimeo

Mark Rosenzweig
September 25th, 2016, 09:10 AM
Sony FDR X3000 4K Video: Screens and Light on Vimeo

Dylan Couper
September 26th, 2016, 04:56 PM
The more video I see, the more mildly annoyed I am that I'm waiting to order from B&H.

Mark Rosenzweig
September 27th, 2016, 06:11 AM
Sony FDR X3000 4K Video: A College Campus in Brooklyn on Vimeo

Mark Watson
September 27th, 2016, 06:42 PM
I made a video to test the effectiveness of the B.O.S.S. when mounted to a vehicle. It did well.

Mark

Sony FDR-X3000 Test Drive #1 on Vimeo

Charles W. Hull
September 28th, 2016, 09:54 PM
I made a video to test the effectiveness of the B.O.S.S. when mounted to a vehicle. It did well.

Mark

Thanks Mark, I like your test. And the results.

Mark Rosenzweig
October 3rd, 2016, 05:01 AM
The Sony FDR X3000 in Milan in 4K on Vimeo

Mark Rosenzweig
October 7th, 2016, 08:30 AM
Shooting scenery while in a moving vehicle is a common component of many travel videos. One would normally shoot the moving scenery through a window of a moving vehicle. But this was shot handheld inside so that you can see the window frames and compare the shakiness of the vehicle with the smoothness of the scenery - look through the windows to see the scenery moving smoothly while the vehicles (monorail train, 777!) shake, rattle and jerk:

Sony FDR X3000 4K Test Video: Stabilization Tests on a Monorail Train and 777 Take-off on Vimeo

Noa Put
October 7th, 2016, 08:55 AM
The shot out of the plane's window is a nice example of the stabilizer at work.

Mark Rosenzweig
October 12th, 2016, 03:57 PM
Sony FDR X3000 4K Video: An Afternoon at Golden Beach, Hong Kong on Vimeo

Sony FDR X3000 4K Video: Shenzhen Shopping Plaza on Vimeo

Mark Rosenzweig
October 14th, 2016, 06:14 AM
Sony FDR X3000 4K Video: Shenzhen Dancers on Vimeo

Mark Rosenzweig
October 14th, 2016, 03:12 PM
Sony FDR X3000 4K Video: Around a Hong Kong Lake on Vimeo

Mark Watson
October 14th, 2016, 11:27 PM
Got in low-light examples from the Wan Chai district? :)

Mark OConnell
October 20th, 2016, 10:53 AM
The lower the light the noisier it gets. The noise can be atrocious. In halfway decent light it looks great, with a much better bitrate then the GoPro. Between this camera and the DJI Mavick I'm thinking GoPro could get pretty beat up.

Mark Rosenzweig
October 23rd, 2016, 06:43 PM
Sony FDR X3000 4K Video: Commuting at the Golden Hour on Vimeo

Mark Rosenzweig
November 9th, 2016, 04:16 PM
Sony FDR X3000 4K Video: A Brief Visit to Union Square at Dusk on Vimeo