View Full Version : Couple of questions for NEX EA50

Francisco Estrada
October 23rd, 2016, 12:27 PM
Does anyone know of an easy way to switch gain between 0-24 DB and everything in between without having to dog through the Menu?

There's been situations where I need more than 3 separate gain settings.

Does anyone have a profile that matches canons DSLR? I've been using PPE3 but the image just looks flat. Colors don't seem that strong at all. Doesn't look all that cinematic. Or maybe does anyone have a picture profile that is great for color correction?

I am honestly have never been satisfied with the NEX EA50 picture profiles. There doesn't seem to be all that much to work with. Than again I really haven't spent all that much time messing around with it.

I think I need to switch to a picture profile with stronger blacks or something.

Noa Put
October 23rd, 2016, 01:07 PM
That was my biggest frustration when I had the nex-ea50, that there was no way to change the iso values other then the 3 pre-assigned ones you had. I had the same problem with my jvc ls300 and made a firmware wishlist topic on this forum asking jvc if they could not assign iso to the front dial which also allowed gradual shutter and f-stop changes and what happened? Well Jvc apparantly reads the forum and made the change in a firmware upgrade. This means I can either use the 3 pre-set switches but then finetine my iso by turning a dial.
This is something I have complained about on this forum as well many times about the nex-ea50 but don't expect Sony to ever make such a simple change on a camera that is not that popular, I"m pretty sure it's just a line of code to assign iso changes to the same dial that controls shutter or f-stop.

So to give you a short answer to your question, no, there is no other way then your 3 presets and each time to dive into the menu to re-assign.

Regarding picture profiles, I found that using no profile at all had the best overall results, I made below video in that way 3 years ago:
Japanese garden on the Sony NEX-EA50 on Vimeo

Chris Harding
October 23rd, 2016, 05:34 PM
I never found a profile that worked for all scenes but if you are doing indoor stuff then PP3 is the best and, as Noa says, no profile works for outdoor shots. It's hard to keep changing profiles so I ended up keeping the cameras on PP3 and then in Sony Vegas I made up a Colour Curves profile that gave the image more punch.