View Full Version : dvx200 low light

Pete Cofrancesco
December 4th, 2016, 08:06 PM
I was looking into this camera or the ux90 for second wide shot for stage performance. I saw this video of rock band in low light but I see a strange flickering of the lights behind the performers like you would see if you filmed a computer screen. Is this a function of large single sensor?
DVX 200 - Live show shoot - YouTube

I read contradictory options whether dvx200 is good in low light. I understand it wouldn't be as good as a full frame such as an A7S but I'm more interested how it compares to 3 chip 1/3" camcorder?

Rob Katz
December 4th, 2016, 10:06 PM
A DVX200 has a m4/3 sensor.

Isn't the larger sensor going to do better in low light?

Be well.

Rob
Smalltalk.Productions

Pete Cofrancesco
December 4th, 2016, 10:19 PM
A DVX200 has a m4/3 sensor.

Isn't the larger sensor going to do better in low light?

Be well.

Rob
Smalltalk.Productions
Yeah I would think but I read mixed opinions was low light performance.

Joachim Claus
December 5th, 2016, 05:15 AM
[QUOTE=Pete Cofrancesco;1924396]I was looking into this camera or the ux90 for second wide shot for stage performance. I saw this video of rock band in low light but I see a strange flickering of the lights behind the performers like you would see if you filmed a computer screen. Is this a function of large single sensor?
QUOTE]

Pete,
this is definitely not an issue with a large sensor. It looks like a stroboscopic effect due to small differences in camera frequency and mains powering the lights, which are probably LED's or fluorescent/mercury lamps. To avoid it, you may need to run in variable frame rate and adjust the camera to have the same frequency as the mains.
Joachim