View Full Version : Current User of EA50

Randy Johnson
December 21st, 2016, 09:19 PM
What lenses are you using? I am looking at the sigma mount 18-35 @1.4 withg the MC-11 adapter it looks like I should be able to get most of my auto features. I need better low light edpcially at receptions. If it works ill get the 50-100 version. Any better ideas??

Chris Harding
December 21st, 2016, 09:38 PM
Hey Randy

I used to used the 18-35 F1.8 and although the low light was good I found that the DOF at 1.8 was scary ..You cannot even cover wedding tables with the tiny DOF so it did have disadvantages ..My minimum seemed to always be F2.8 for receptions sadly so F1.4 is going to be a struggle!! What I don't understand is the EA-50 with the big sensor should be like daylight at F2.8 ....I use my Panasonic FZ2500 at F2.8 now at receptions and the video light stays in the case!!

Have you thought about leaving the EA-50 for good light conditions and getting yourself something like a A7S for the nighttime work ...It's e-mount and can almost see in the dark? My mate Pete in the UK is using A7S cams for weddings and has no lighting issues even with slower lenses ..he sold his EA-50 but kept the lenses but the EA-50 is still awesome for daylight shooting. That way you only need a body and can comfortably use the 50's lenses you have at receptions.

Steve Bobilin
December 22nd, 2016, 11:18 AM
Hey Randy,
Please let us know how the MC-11 works. I use the sigma 18-35 with a dumb adapter and I love it. The only thing is it is set to wide-open. It would be nice to be able to change the aperture. I am assuming that the MC-11 will allow for aperture control? Right now I have to slap on a ND filter and/or change the shutter speed as I did yesterday when shooting on Waikiki beach.
Also when I try and use the fake aperture built into the dumb adapter, I get vignetting even when I close it slightly.

Randy Johnson
December 23rd, 2016, 02:51 AM
Chris I have thought of leaving but not yet I really like the cameras. 2.8 is fine but I like the 1.4 option is it tur that you cant control the iris on it like Steve said? I have a 17-50 which gives me enough light and I like it BUT the adapter has no resistance when you adjust the iris so its kinda choppy and the focus and zoom arnet meant for "online" work so they are not very smooth.

Chris Harding
December 23rd, 2016, 03:33 AM
I used a Nikon adapter on my Sigma ..Just remember you are in a dark reception so you need all the light you can get! Just shoot at F1.4 and let the camera decide the ISO and shutter for you. Yeah I loved mine too but shooting in 4K is much nicer on the Panasonics! Use the adapter as Steve says ..wide open, run the camera on auto and it will work very well. Outside in bright sun will be an issue but you mainly want it for receptions, so full open is want you need ..If you want to use it in bright conditions put a variable ND up front!