View Full Version : What Codec and Format from FZ2500 is best for Pond5.

Larry Johnson
January 30th, 2017, 11:09 AM
At some point, I plan to submit clips to Pond5. Their requirements are listed below. If I record in AVCHD, as they prefer, what record Quality from the FZ2500 would have the most appeal to end User's. There's only 4 options in the camera (three if you consider that Pond5 doesn't like interlaced footage); 28m/60p, 17m/60i, 24m/30p, 24m/24p? There's not even a 4K option when recording in AVCHD, which is disappointing.

Also, what is non-native MP4, which Pond5 doesn't accept.

Any other thoughts, comments, recommendations are welcome. Thanks

Pond5 Requirements

We accept the following codecs (in order of preference):

Unmodified camera-native codecs, including r3d (see below),AVCHD, H264, PRORES, DNxHD, DNxHR, M2TS, XDCam, MXF, HDV, DV, DVCProHD.
Apple ProRes
Avid native DNxHD
H.264: We accept H.264 when it's the camera's native codec or as a broadcast quality intermediate. Camera-native files can be uploaded without modification. For intermediate H.264, make sure that it is set to the highest quality.
PhotoJPEG. Please set to highest quality possible.
Animation or PNG: ONLY for clips with embedded alpha channels. (transparency)

We do not accept the following codecs:

Motionjpeg
Avi
Non native mp4
Our system does not yet support DNxHR 4k resolution clips, however we are working to remedy this. Please check here for any developments.

Nate Haustein
January 30th, 2017, 12:09 PM
I would record 4K on the camera, then bring it into your computer to trim, lightly color and then export as ProRes. That's what I do at least, there's no reason to limit yourself to AVCHD.

Larry Johnson
January 30th, 2017, 05:07 PM
I would record 4K on the camera, then bring it into your computer to trim, lightly color and then export as ProRes. That's what I do at least, there's no reason to limit yourself to AVCHD.

Nate,

Are you recording 4K with the FZ2500? Have you had success selling it on Pond5?
I figured that I would have better chance getting footage accepted and purchased if I followed Pond5's preferences. They state that they automatically convert 4K to 1080p. So I figured that rules out shooting in 4K. Considering that, and the fact that they prefer AVCHD codec, I figured it would be best to shoot in AVCHD. The FZ2500 doesn't allow for 4k when recording with AVCHD codec.

I'm essentially new to video editing. As far as software, all I have at my disposal is iMovie. I had to google ProRes to understand your suggestion. I'm not sure if iMovie will allow me to output or convert to ProRes. Pond5 prefers ProRes over Apple ProRes based on their list.

Nate Haustein
January 30th, 2017, 06:21 PM
Hey Larry, a few notes:

• I shoot with a UX180 which is pretty much a video camera version of the FZ2500. AVCHD is probably the lowest quality video your camera records. There are much better options with ALL-Intra 200mbps Full-HD, or 100mbps UHD 4k.

• When Pond5 says they convert to 1080p, they mean that they will automatically create a 1080p file available for purchase in addition to the 4K file that you upload. You don't have to upload both yourself. That way, customers can choose either a lower priced 1080p file or the full-quality 4k/UHD file. You should absolutely shoot in 4K if you can.

• Your camera creates H.264 files in .MOV or .MP4 wrappers (they're the same files, just different extensions). The higher bitrate H.264 files are a better choice than the lower bitrate AVCHD.

• ProRes and Apple ProRes are the same thing.

• I just opened up iMovie and found that you can easily import the 4K .mov files from the Panasonics and export ProRes files. See the photo below. Edit out the bad part of the clips and save out the clips as ProRes. Couldn't be simpler! Good luck on selling your footage. Hope this helps.

Larry Johnson
January 30th, 2017, 08:15 PM
Awesome. Thank you Nate. Much appreciated.