View Full Version : Is there a PL body to EF Lens adapter?

Erick Munari
February 14th, 2017, 02:00 PM
I'm looking into a used C500 but would like to use my EF lenses, is there a solution?
Thank you

Christopher Young
February 16th, 2017, 09:00 AM
Not really because of flange back distances. Plus you would lose things like autofocus and stabilization. Then how would you control your iris as the Canon EF unlike the FD series lenses have no mechanical iris actuation arm. A bit more of the complexities examined here by Matthew Duclos.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Jim Andrada
April 10th, 2017, 02:41 PM
If you have a Canon camera there's a trick that should let you set the aperture using your Canon DSLR. Haven't tried it (yet) myself since I just have a "lowly" EF C100!

Re back focus, if the EF back focus is greater than the PL back focus (which I suspect it is, because the Canon back focus has to be long enough to accommodate the DSLR mirror) a mechanical adapter could be a possibility. The video I linked to shows an adapter with a "sort of" manual aperture setting capability, although it's not in the really correct location for an aperture (but it might work relatively OK)

And then there are variable ND filters like I use on my Canon glass when I stick it on the BMCC or BMPCC via a Metabones speed booster.

How To Adjust The Aperture On Canon EF Lenses When Using Lens Adapters - YouTube

Anyhow, might be possible, might not be possible, or might be possible but too expensive to be practical, but worth investigating further. Good luck!!!!

(I use Mamiya 645 glass on my EF cams all the time - different problem, I know!)

Jim Andrada
April 13th, 2017, 07:48 PM
OK - I actually chased down the specs. Seems that PL FFD (Flange Focal Distance) is 52mm, Canon EF is 44mm. So it looks like it won't work. Hate to admit I was wrong, but such is life!