View Full Version : USB for blu-ray & 4k

Steve Bleasdale
April 18th, 2017, 03:17 PM
Has the USB technology moved on yet ? 8,12,16,32 gb flash drive can you still only put no more than 4 gb video file on the Drive. Any one putting 4K on a USB also.

Pete Cofrancesco
April 18th, 2017, 03:28 PM
Yes, you simply format it as exFAT which support files over 4gb.

Donald McPherson
April 18th, 2017, 11:58 PM
ADOBE are you listening. We need a program like Encore that can write 4k to USB memory.

Steve Bleasdale
April 19th, 2017, 12:14 AM
Cheers Pete

Steve Bleasdale
April 19th, 2017, 12:25 AM
Just checking Pete, will exfat work in all TVs? Steve

Pete Cofrancesco
April 19th, 2017, 09:17 AM
No but that's the least of your worries. There are a whole host of restrictions on these non computer devices such as tvs and media players attached to them.

For example my tv (only a year old) will only play mpeg 2 no higher than 720p, my Sony bluray player can play almost anything, my parent's Panasonic bluray player wouldn't play mp4 unless it was encoded as mkv. Too high of a bitrate can cause it to choke.

That's why commercial tv and movies are streamed and not distributed on usb. Thats in addition to the cost and copying problems.

If you are only delivering to one client such as a wedding you can cater to their needs but for distribution to a large number of people its not feasible to do that.

Steve Bleasdale
April 19th, 2017, 11:45 AM
Bloody hell sticking to DVDs, then upload to vimeo pro for links sod it... Thanks Pete

Pete Cofrancesco
April 19th, 2017, 01:18 PM
Don't get me wrong its possible. The way I handle it is clients pay an extra fee to get a hd usb in addition to their dvd. I also include a disclaimer that it will play on computers and smartphones and some tvs. That way I cover my bases. So far I've had a very positive response with no complaints.

We've been over this in other threads. In my experience people like something physical thats why I go usb. The steaming is easier but you have sharing issue, bandwidth, and no physical thing. I could see offering an option. You still get into hosting cost and how long is it available for.

Bruce Watson
April 19th, 2017, 03:10 PM
ADOBE are you listening. We need a program like Encore that can write 4k to USB memory.

My experience with adobe is that not only are they not listening, but they have no intention of ever listening. And so far, it seems to be working for them. And since I dropped adobe, it's working for me too.

They've stated a number of times that they have no intention of ever offering anything like an updated Encore, because they'd have to rewrite the entire thing from scratch, and they think that people like you and me don't ever need to write to any kind of physical media (like I said, not listening). The company they licensed the majority of the Encore code from is gone, and the code is gone with them, so they would indeed have to design a new program from scratch. Not going to happen apparently.

Steve Bleasdale
April 21st, 2017, 03:56 AM
So now 6 TVs will not play the USB s so i am lastly trying Takys solution on this forum in Target bit-rate 8 to max 12 see if that works.