View Full Version : Sachtler Flowtech

John C. Chu
September 5th, 2017, 07:34 AM
I never thought I would lust after a tripod, but after watching the intro video for this new Sachtler Flowtech Tripod, it kind of does.

It seems really compelling, as one can just drop the legs and lock without gymnastic movements?

I need to go and take a look at this when available.

Flowtech ?*Sachtler and Vinten rethink the tripod - Newsshooter (http://www.newsshooter.com/2017/09/05/flowtech-sachtler-and-vinten-rethink-the-tripod/)

Josh Bass
September 5th, 2017, 08:33 PM
It looks very cool. I wish theyd taken even further and made it like the hot pod where there is single button/trigger/release for all three legs at once. also, I know with other speedlock systems lowering height is still a bit of a pain cause you have to collapse/"skinny up" the tripod to get them to go down smoothly/easily. Dont know if thats the case with this. looks like it from the videos.

Rob Lloyd
March 12th, 2018, 12:06 PM
Hi,

I am thinking of getting the Flowtech 75 with Ace XL head to use with a FS5 (and occasional Shogun Inferno), has anyone had any real world experience - good or bad?

Many thanks
Rob

Pete Cofrancesco
March 12th, 2018, 12:52 PM
Hi,

I am thinking of getting the Flowtech 75 with Ace XL head to use with a FS5 (and occasional Shogun Inferno), has anyone had any real world experience - good or bad?

Many thanks
Rob
I’ve never owned anything from the Ace line but the prevailing view it’s low quality crap not worthy of the Sachtler name.

I own the Speedlock 75 which is a different design but the same idea, one lock for two stages. In my experience the quicker deployment is a pleasure but unfortunately the more complex mechanics is susceptible to issues. I also haven’t been impressed with the leg rigidity when panning.

None of the Flowtech reviews I’ve seen test rigidity.
Flowtech is target to mobile shooters looking for light and quick setup. The usuals casualties are stability and durability. So comes down to what you value more and the type of work you do.

Rob Lloyd
March 13th, 2018, 01:37 PM
Thanks Pete, that's really useful. I may keep looking!

John Kofonow
March 13th, 2018, 04:45 PM
I have owned the Flowtech tripod for over half a year and use it several times a month in the field. It’s been a joy to use for ease of use and very quick setup changes. I use it mostly with a Compass 12 head and with my Sony A7sii with Sony 28 - 135mm lens. I give it five stars.

John

Chris Soucy
March 13th, 2018, 11:28 PM
Hi guys.................

I've been pondering entering into this discussion for some time, considering it was a product I only knew existed by reading the first post in this thread and certainly have never seen nor used in the flesh.

[Long gone are the days when if it was coming I knew well before and when it was here I had one for review straight off the production line. P.H, how you are missed!]

However, as we've had the the first positive review of it here, maybe now's the time to add my two cents worth.

The Vinten FiberTec was one of the most revolutionary tripods ever made. Solid carbon fiber, it could do second duty as an axle stand for a Mack truck. It's nested I - beam construction was so unique no-one has ever attempted to copy it, even in bog standard plastic.

Owning one, I can attest to its downsides - sodding expensive (US $5k plus fully configured), sodding heavy - the mid level spreader alone, which I swear was made of depleted uranium, weighs just shy of 1Kg - 2.2lbs!!

Plus, and Vitec have learnt this lesson, it was purely a Vinten product, so the market was particularly circumscribed.

Cue: end of FiberTec (I had to threaten GBH to an underling at Vinten UK to get one of the last off the production line!)

So, a decade or so on, here we go again. Another shot at the tough-ish but cheap-ish end of the market Instead of I - beam they've gone for a combination of circular and "D" frame design (which is bloody hard to do, but which should do the job well enough**).

How good is it? I have no idea. Vinten claim its 265% more rigid than the Sachtler CF 75's, which has to be taken in context - the CF 75's are the least rigid tripod I've ever tested, which takes some doing, but in their defense, any design based on a 2:1:1 configuration is screwed before it even gets to the gate.

If the new FlowTech is as rigid or better than the standard Vinten sticks under the Vision Blue series of systems, it's a damn good set of sticks. If not, you're better off with the aluminium Vintens used with that system.

I doubt that anyone from either Vinten or Sachtler will stick their respective heads over the parapet and actually converse with anyone here on this subject, recent PM's (product managers) preferring a "who? Me!" attitude, but one can live in hope.

Doubt if this will help, but there you go.

** How well depends on the wall thickness and joint slop among others.

CS

Bob Safay
April 9th, 2018, 01:55 PM
So, last month I went ahead and purchased the Sachtler Flowtech 75 with the Sachtler FSB 6 head for my Canon XF300. First off these sticks are FANTASTIC!! So easy to extend and close. The first thing I did was to remove the mid-level spreader as you really don't need it because the locking system is so damn good. I chose the FSB 6 over the FSB 4 because there may be a time when I have to upgrade my video equipment and want to make sure the head can support the camcorder (possibly to a Canon C200), shotgun/wireless receiver and other stuff. As I said, I have taken it into the field and really tried setting it up under different conditions like river banks and other uneven terrain. It works like a dream. You never have to bend over to set the releases, their all right there on top of the legs! My 69 year old back loves it! The FSB 6 is soooo smooth. Like nothing I have ever used before. Heavy? Yes, it's heavy, but I don't intend to take it backpacking. I bought it as a tripod system from B&H. Cost more then I would have ever thought I would spend on a tripod system but, it will probably be the last tripod I will ever have to buy. I can really see the difference in the steadiness of my pans even when at full telephoto. And, it comes with a beautiful carrying case. Trust me, just try it, you won't be disappointed. Bob

Mark Watson
April 9th, 2018, 07:53 PM
That's great Bob! I'll keep that Flowtech in mind next time I'm shopping for a tripod. I have the FSB-6 and -4, My -6 was a little overkill for some of the lighter cameras I sometimes use, like the AX53, AX100 and now the PXW-Z90. So that's why I added a FSB-4 to the armory. Anyways, I wanted to let you know that the FSB-4 is only about a half pound lighter than the -6, and its level bubble doesn't illuminate like the FSB-6 does. So there's a bit of "post-sale gratification". I've got lots of miles on the FSB-6 and it hasn't let me down. Gets a little heavy if carrying it around all day, but it results in lots of keeper clips. Recommend splurging for an extra camera plate (or two) if you have multiple cams.

Peter Harman
August 16th, 2018, 09:17 AM
Hi all, hope all is well. Id like to address some of the flowtech comments here if i may:

1. flowtech is the most torsional stable tripod on the market, making it absolutely ideal for long tight lenses and high levels of drag. The D shaped profile, combined with some rather smart assembly methods combined with the stiffness of the 75mm bowl almost eliminates completely the wind up you'd expect from a 75mm tripod.

2. Our testing has been extremely thorough and long term durability confidence is high

3. This isn't just another tripod. This really is a step change in tripod design that addresses all those little things that can make operating a tripod a chore, like not having to bend over to release and lock the lower legs; not having to release a leg retaining strap; never having to struggle to release the rubber foot straps; no more tubes digging into your shoulder while you carry your system; no need to take along baby legs or a high hat for those low shots and having the option to work with or without a spreader.

I could go on and on about flowtech, but then it would turn into an advert. Id much rather just give you the operational facts as i know them. Im sure your local dealer will have a set that you can try. In fact, id recommend it as once you've felt and seen the quality through the VF, you'll be be able to make an informed judgement on the concept of flowtech.