View Full Version : Gh5 firmware 2,0

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Cliff Totten
October 6th, 2017, 09:15 AM
The YouTube version you linked to isn't even 4K. It's only in 1440p. The GH5 already uses the entire sensor to downscale and does a good job at it, far more than YouTube's VP9 compression, so unless you have a direct download source for this video, the link itself absolutely does not show an incredible level of detail.

Gary, this is a full 8k upload that is playable in this manner on both my MAC and Windows PC.

Check that link again and verify that your statement above is factually correct.

If you are not able to see this in 8K, than your YouTube playback workflow is CLEARLY flawed or broken. In case you are not aware, the adds before the video are not in 8K

CT ;-)

Gary Huff
October 6th, 2017, 09:16 AM
Then you should have no problem describing your Channel Mixer workflow that you claim shows the inner workings of LongGOP, and you should be able to use that magical workflow to correctly identify the Intra from the LongGOP compression clips from video at this link:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxrUdQWZEmysYURxNkxvTTJXX28

Cliff Totten
October 6th, 2017, 09:20 AM
Then you should have no problem describing your Channel Mixer workflow that you claim shows the inner workings of LongGOP, and you should be able to use that magical workflow to correctly identify the Intra from the LongGOP compression clips from video at this link:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxrUdQWZEmysYURxNkxvTTJXX28

Just because you don't understand it, doesn't make it "magic"....it's nothing special.

It's just plain old fashioned "science". I'll look at it when I get home tonight.

CT ;-)

Gary Huff
October 6th, 2017, 09:24 AM
Just because you don't understand it, doesn't make it "magic"....it's nothing special. It's just plain old fashioned "science". I'll look at it when I get home tonight.

Oh I do understand it. You're creating a grayscale image from a Channel Mixer plugin and something else (because Channel Mixer alone doesn't totally match what you did, but it's close enough, including the artifacting and the lines).

However, since I've already taken that workflow and applied it to those clips, I can already tell you you're not going to be able to differentiate the Intra vs the LongGOP. So I look forward to your excuse.

Gary Huff
October 6th, 2017, 09:28 AM
Gary, this is a full 8k upload that is playable in this manner on both my MAC and Windows PC. Check that link again and verify that your statement above is factually correct.

My mistake, I was watching in Safari and not Chrome. Chrome is what's required.

However...

#3. YouTube or Vimeo video's are a terrible way to do a CRITICAL review of image quality. Nobody has to convince me of that!

And my point still stands. You don't have an 8K display, the GH5 is still using the entirety of the sensor and doing a hardware downscale. So on your Mac (not an acronym) and Windows box, you're not actually seeing any benefit over 4K. This video is mostly about the lack of motion blur.

Gary Huff
October 6th, 2017, 09:33 AM
Here's a clip for you, the first is UHD 8-bit 4:2:0 Slog2/Sgamut from back when I owned the A7R Mark II.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxrUdQWZEmysV0FGLThFMkY0NTg

The second clip, downscaled with the highest quality scaler out of DaVinci Resolve Studio 14 into 1080 ProRes 12-bit 444.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxrUdQWZEmysMjcxcVVCWFFpRTg

Now what difference can you illustrate between these two? Or is this workflow not correct? If it's not correct, what should I have done differently?

Cliff Totten
October 6th, 2017, 09:33 AM
So I'm guessing you are not impressed by the detail...even on your 4k monitor?

I would recommend that you delete that Safari/Chrome 4k player mistake. You don't want people around here to think you don't know what you are doing and that's bad for your rep

Just lookin' out for you, Gary ;-)

Gary Huff
October 6th, 2017, 09:38 AM
I would recommend that you delete that Safari/Chrome 4k player mistake. You don't want people around here to think you don't know what you are doing and that's bad for your rep

That doesn't worry me in the slightest. Everyone makes mistakes. I own up to them.

Shaun Forsdyke
October 17th, 2017, 11:49 AM
Just got a Delkin v60 64gb card.

Shooting 400mb Intra frame, 10Bit, 24p.

First 2 test clips I recorded for 1m30 each. All fine.

Then subsequent 3 clips all stopped recording around 25 seconds.

I noticed that those last 3 clips were recorded when the battery had dropped down to 1 bar.
Also that playback on the camera (at 1 bar battery) resulted in a drop of sound every second. Playback on PC has no issues with sound.

Will do further tests when I've got a full battery.

Edit - Tests on a full battery ran perfectly. 8 minute clip without problems.

Gary Huff
October 18th, 2017, 07:24 PM
Are you using Panasonic OEM batteries for these tests? I'm interested in the results because I'm looking at Delkin 256GB V60 cards to use for Intra, but it seems odd that a low battery would cause issues (though not impossible).

Shaun Forsdyke
October 19th, 2017, 03:19 PM
Was using the official battery that came with the camera.

Shaun Forsdyke
October 23rd, 2017, 04:07 PM
A review on Amazon says slot 1 is uhs 2 and slot 2 is V90.

Any truth in that?

Edit: playback in slot 2 eliminates jumping so certainly appears to be reading faster.

Ron Evans
October 23rd, 2017, 06:40 PM
A review on Amazon says slot 1 is uhs 2 and slot 2 is V90.

Any truth in that?

Edit: playback in slot 2 eliminates jumping so certainly appears to be reading faster.

I believe they are both the same. The important thing is the card speed both are UHS 2. V60 is on the limit I think as that means a minimum of 60MBps second write speed or 480 Mbs. I think you may find that a V90 card will be more consistent as any variation does not give you a lot of margin.V90 would be 720Mbps write minimum. Which I think Panasonic states as the preferred card.