View Full Version : How to Do This Transition

Brock Burwell
October 18th, 2017, 08:13 AM
I am interested in doing the transition you see in this video around :35. It that much easier than I'm making it out to be?

Additionally, the transition right after that (from sitting at a table looking at laptop to singers) is something I'd love to learn as well. Any suggestions on how to do that? It looks like someone walking and as they walk, they transition from one shot to the next.

Thanks!

The Beginning - YouTube

Tim Lewis
October 18th, 2017, 08:34 AM
Hi Brock

Have a look at this tutorial (for FCPX) I think it might give you some clues. Also check out the other stuff Ryan Nangle has on his tutorials.

Quick Whip Transition - Final Cut Pro X - YouTube

It may work even better on a 1080 window in 4K footage.

Nate Haustein
October 18th, 2017, 08:40 AM
First one is essentially a slide or push between two shots with a blur effect applied. Second one is ether a keyframed mask or a simple wipe timed just right. The reason it works is because of the continuous camera and subject movement in the correct direction.

Steven Digges
October 18th, 2017, 10:11 AM
Something I noticed was an excellent use of color when transitioning shots. Someone was paying a lot of attention to color in flow and context.

Steve

Tim Lewis
October 23rd, 2017, 04:36 AM
Hi Brock

I have been spending the week trawling the net for FCPX stuff and found a plugin that seem to do exactly that transition. It is called Andy's Swish Transitions and comes from Andy Mees and is available for FCPX, Motion, Ae and PP through the FxFactory app.