View Full Version : Premiere Pro CC17 Playback performance

Gerald Webb
January 1st, 2018, 06:35 PM
Hi All,
Trying Premiere again for multicam event editing.
Coming from Final Cut X.
Need a new PC and the iMac Pro's price is a little steep, so seeing if I can make Premiere work for me on Windows 10 (Fall update).
Tried on a Desktop first-
3930k, 280X, 32gb ram. SSD system drive. Media files on a 4TB esata Raid 0 ( 2 x 2TB).
3 cameras, 1 x 4k, 2 at 1080p on a 1080p timeline.
Made multicam clip and set up. Plays ok but gets real jittery after 5- 10 sec of playback.
So made proxies at 1024x540 and made no difference :(

Thought the GPU might be the weak point, so hooked the external drive up to my laptop, its a -
i7 7700 with a GTX 1060, which I thought would work way better with Premieres playback engine.
No go. Same dismal performance, with the native files and proxies.

The raid drive is the obvious choice for blame, but it works fine in Final Cut X at full res for multicam, (even with more cameras).

Little help please, thoughts?

Luke Miller
January 2nd, 2018, 09:18 AM
I use two SSDs, one for system/programs/cache and one for video media and Premiere Pro project files. My raid is for network storage & as part of my backup strategy. On my i7 PC Premier Pro CC 2018 playback is noticeably slower with a multi-camera timeline, especially after I apply edits. But a render of the timeline will play fine even at full screen. A single camera timeline will generally play fine without rendering.

I suspect your raid is slowing things down. Perhaps an additional SSD (or 7200 rpm hard drive) for media will help.

Tony Neal
January 2nd, 2018, 04:21 PM
I think the best solution with CC is to spread your video files over as many physical disks (preferably SSDs) as you can.

I'm in the middle of a multicam edit with 3x4k and 1x2K video tracks on a 32GB i7 8700K with a GTX 1080i.

With two of the 4K video files on a conventional HDD and the third 4K file and the HD file on an SSD, the timeline kept stuttering after a minute or so (this is without using proxies). Just by moving one of the 4K files from the HDD to the SSD the timeline ran smoothly. So I'll be adding more SSDs for future projects.

Gary Huff
January 2nd, 2018, 05:45 PM
So made proxies at 1024x540 and made no difference :(

Did you tell Premiere to use the proxies for playback? There is a button you have to add to your playback monitor that lets you tell Premiere to use proxies as the source instead of the originals. If you haven't done that, then Premiere isn't using the proxies you generated.

Gerald Webb
January 2nd, 2018, 06:20 PM
Thank you Gary Huff.
One piece of the puzzle fixed.
I selected all media in the project window and chose "Attach Proxies". I assumed that was it.
Much better performance now.

Can I tag on a question here,,,
If I do Chapter markers along my Premiere timeline, what codec can I render out to keep those markers for eventual use in Encore for DVD delivery?

So to clarify, in Final Cut I export a 1080p Prores file as a master. All chapter markers are included.
I can drop that into Compressor and make 720p or 1080p mp4s with chapters (markers are even there in Handbrake as well).
I can also use Compressor to make the DVD files from that 1080p master. All chapter markers travel through the transcode.
How can I do similar via Premiere to Media Encoder to Encore?

Gerald Webb
January 5th, 2018, 05:31 PM
Should I start a new thread for questions about markers?
Or, does no one carry their markers through to delivery?
:)

Ann Bens
January 7th, 2018, 05:12 AM
Mpeg2-dvd will carry the chapter markers over. That is the format you should use when using encore.
But why dvd? Make a BD to keep the high resolution.

Gerald Webb
January 7th, 2018, 04:35 PM
Thanks Ann,
Yes I know if I render mpg2 from the project it will carry the markers through, but then I would need to do multiple long renders for each delivery format required. Being, DVD, mp4, bluray etc.
That would tie up one Pc for a long time.
The Prores 1080p master carry’s the markers through so I can use it for all delivery methods.
Is there a Windows 1080p codec that will carry the markers?

As for DVD? They want them. 85% of our sales in 2017 and doesn’t look like changing this year.