View Full Version : Lumetri White Balance Eyedropper Working Improperly

Natan Pakman
February 14th, 2018, 04:07 PM
I'm having an issue that I can't figure out. On many different clips I've shot, I've included a white piece of paper to fine-tune the white balance after importing the footage into Premiere. But when I use the eyedropper tool to select the white piece of paper, it clearly misinterprets the data and completely shifts the white balance (usually towards way too cold, but sometimes in the opposite direction). Now, just to be clear, the footage is only very slightly off of a neutral color balance, so there's no logical reason for Lumetri to change it in this way. It just seems very buggy and I can't figure out how to make it work correctly.

1. Is there anything I may be doing wrong, or is this a software glitch? For the record, I've tried holding down Ctrl in order to select a larger portion of the white paper, but I get the same result.

2. Is there another way to properly white balance in Premiere/Lumetri using the white piece of paper? Even manually/in a more time-consuming way?

Cary Knoop
February 14th, 2018, 11:31 PM
Did you verify the white paper is not clipped? Gray is generally better for white balancing, due to lower code values.

Natan Pakman
February 15th, 2018, 11:36 AM
The paper is well under 100 IRE and doesn't appear to clip. I guess I can occasionally get it to adjust the balance correctly by Ctrl-clicking the white paper in the right spot, but is there a simply way to manually adjust it using RGB parades and syncing the colors?