View Full Version : Vimeo alternatives

Pages : 1 [2]

Nigel Barker
August 21st, 2018, 05:10 AM
I don't thing Smugmug hosts their own videos anymore? I just checked and the only embedded videos I could find on their website where all from YouTube?

Smugmug originally hosted quite basic photo galleries but for a few years now have been offering very customisable websites as part of the photo hosting package so you can create your own photo oriented web site using their tools & can even sell your photos through your site.

You can still host video & photos on Smugmug & embed individual images or videos or whole photo galleries on your own site but you are also able to embed YouTube & Vimeo videos on your Smugmug website.

Steven Davis
August 21st, 2018, 03:29 PM
Saw this article a couple weeks ago and was thinking about posting here, but figured you guys already knew about it.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/talkingtech/2018/07/28/tech-101-dont-use-hit-music-ed-sheeran-and-others-your-videos-its-not-cool/848216002/

"My friend David Medill got the shock of his life this week when he was banned from the Vimeo video service for copyright violation. His sin: He makes wedding videos, and he sets them to the tunes of Ed Sheeran, Marvin Gaye and Father John Misty."

Yeah, I got a notice for a video I used where some kid was dancing. The music was live from the DJ, but it didn't matter. Ironically, I doubt they go after the guests who post the same.

Noa Put
August 22nd, 2018, 02:14 AM
I doubt they go after the guests who post the same.

An important question would be, did you use that dancing kid footage with live played music in one of your videos that is posted online to promote your business? Using music that is played in the background is just the same as using unlicensed commercial music in your video even if you bought the song online for personal use, I could record that music right from the DJ's mixer and have it sound as clear as the original song, from the moment I put it in one of my videos it becomes a form of advertisement.

When a guest posts it on vimeo they don't make any money from it but also there the owner of the song has to decide if they will allow it.

John Peterson
August 22nd, 2018, 05:16 PM
I would also like to come to Noa's defense regarding Vimeo. I dropped my subscription for the same reasons. Playback issues, buffering, stuttering. Clients complained and I had the problem too. My download speed is 300 and my upload speed is 28. My bandwidth is great by American standards.

John

Noa Put
August 30th, 2018, 02:49 AM
I have been embedding one of my weddingvideos on my website from YouTube to test for a while, I just played that film from my website and it looked like 360P but if I clicked on the YouTube logo which took me the YouTube page it was HD quality.
Maybe it was a wrong setting again, don't know but the fact that the YouTube logo was so prominent on my mobile Phone I"m not looking into that direction anymore so still seachring and testing out other options.