View Full Version : UWOL 48 - High and Low by Tim Veal Feedback thread

Tim Veal
September 4th, 2018, 10:05 AM
UWOL48 - HIgh and Low by Tim Veal on Vimeo

This was fun. I don't get a chance to shoot much anymore so this at least got me outside again. All feedback is welcome. I don't get offended so feel free to be brutally honest. How else can we improve?

Henry Williams
September 4th, 2018, 01:45 PM
Hi Tim, I loved the idea behind this. Very clever, and really fun with the slightly 80's VFX and transition style matching the music so well. I thought the macro footage was great and the double enhance at the end was a nice flourish. I'm impessed that you managed to get so close to the toad too!

Trond Saetre
September 5th, 2018, 02:38 AM
Hi Tim,

This was nice to watch! Really loved the crisp macro/ close up shots!
As Henry said, I'm impressed with how close you got and how crisp the images are. Especially the shot of the wasp.

I am missing a story in your film. Doesn't need to be voice over. It can be text, or even only the visuals combined with your music, can tell a story too.
Maybe some wide shots of the area, to establish the scene. Show us where you are, before you dive in and begin the macro shots of your subjects.

All in all, a nice film, and I like what you made.

Bob Safay
September 5th, 2018, 03:43 AM
Tim, very interesting concept. You showed the rotting log from high and the used the grid to direct the viewer to a portion of the log where you were going to do the macro. Very well done. I am a big fan of macro and think you did an excellent job in the way you addressed the challenge. Bob

Tim Veal
September 6th, 2018, 03:51 PM
Thank you everyone for your comments. You know, sometimes we just get lucky and that toad did not want to move! It was very hot that day so maybe that was part of it. I'm glad you guys like the macro shots, I think the little sharpening I did in post and shorter clip time helped sell them as "crisp." I'm not crazy about the quality them but it was my first time trying. I was actually just using my old closeup attachment from the 35mm adapter days! I found it tends to bloom out the image and dof is very narrow. I thought Henry's macro shots were great though. I already looked up the Raynox lens he used :)

@Trond, I get your point on story. I'll work on it for next time, thanks.