View Full Version : UWOL 50 - Tales of wonders and woes

Trond Saetre
February 4th, 2019, 09:27 AM
As always, interaction between the players is encouraged.
What goes great, what did not go as planned, and everything in between, about the making of your UWOL 50 films.

Hope all of you have found an idea for your entries. Your imagination is the limit of how you interpret the theme.

Don't be afraid to ask if you have any questions.
Have fun, and bring it!

Gordon Hoffman
February 5th, 2019, 08:35 AM
I had to go back and see what I had done for this theme last time. All I can say is it's going to be more of a black and white video compared to the one I did before.

Gordon

Trond Saetre
February 5th, 2019, 12:44 PM
I forgot we had used the theme before. But it really doesn't matter. New ideas can interpret the theme in way different directions. Or use the same idea as previously, just push yourself to improve... The options are many.

Black and white can be cool, Gordon. I look forward to see what you come up with.

Gordon Hoffman
February 7th, 2019, 08:04 AM
Hey Trond I was refering more to the fact that the last time this theme was used was in the fall for me and now it's winter. So far it's snow and cold, so the reference to black and white. But that could happen.

Gordon

Trond Saetre
February 8th, 2019, 05:16 AM
White snow... camouflage cover of the wilderness :)

Mick Jenner
February 9th, 2019, 10:57 AM
Just returned windswept and covered in salt sea sea spray from an hours filming large storm waves hitting our shores. Color vibrancy? Not a lot but, sure I can weave the footage into my entry.

Phil Murray
February 9th, 2019, 04:33 PM
Just got back from a couple of days in the rainforest. Got some usable shots, but still need a lot more so I'm heading back in a week or so. I learned so much about shooting in the jungle -- it's hard! Lighting issues, focus challenges, getting stable footage, etc., are teaching me a lot about shooting in my favorite place in the world.

Have a few ideas how to weave the footage together before the end of the month now. I'm definitely going to make something this time!

Trond Saetre
February 16th, 2019, 09:14 AM
Good to hear some of you are well into your productions already.

Wish you all a very nice weekend. Hope everyone has found an idea now.
Have fun!

Phil Murray
February 17th, 2019, 07:27 AM
I wish it was going easy, but I guess that's the fun of it. I'm back in the rainforest for a couple of days and it's been raining hard for quite awhile. I could use some more shots and may end up with a change in my video, but I've still got a pretty good idea and almost enough footage to get close to 3 minutes. Sadly, there is so much more here that's just hard to film in the rainy season.

Geir Inge
February 22nd, 2019, 04:46 AM
So far, so good and here is my checklist for Uwol # 50:

1) Plan: As follows below (includes purchasing a new PC).
2) Selection of object: varying degrees of fast-moving and colorful.
3) Approach: using bait food, loft window, a camo tent and a lot of patience.
4) Location: close to my residence.
5) Weather: Fast varying conditions, cold, snow, mild weather, wind and rain = as expected and not critical for my project.
6) Recordings: of varying quality, something good and something bad, I am appropriately satisfied, could spend more time planning.
7) Upload information: yes
8) Editing: The plan is to start Monday.
9) Music / script: not finished yet.
10) Upload: The plan is to upload Sunday March 3.

Wish you all well :)

Trond Saetre
February 22nd, 2019, 10:11 AM
Sounds like a good plan, Geir Inge.

I think I am on plan D, or something. Still many letters left in the alphabet, haha.
Make plan according to (forecasted) weather. Start filming... and then weather changes to something else.
Then repeat. Hopefully better luck the next days.

Mick Jenner
February 22nd, 2019, 11:02 AM
Geir,

Ha ha,

Apart from the new computer you have almost mirrored me! Or is I have mirrored you lol

Gordon Hoffman
February 25th, 2019, 08:16 AM
Well down to the last seven days. Some of you guys are way to organized!

Gordon

Phil Murray
February 25th, 2019, 02:32 PM
I'm curious as to how everyone is dividing their time. I know it will vary depending on what you are doing, but I'm devoting the last week to editing. I actually got enough footage shot a week ago, but I put off working on it for several days knowing I got a very lucky break in the weather during rainy season. I'm still hoping to add a couple of clips -- again depending on the weather -- but I'm pretty much finished shooting and am editing now.

It's funny how I was held up for almost two weeks because it was too wet to get many of the shots that I wanted and now that I'm looking for some rainy weather to finish up, it's mostly unseasonably gorgeous when there should be daily rain.

Hope everyone's projects are coming along well. :)

Bob Safay
February 25th, 2019, 05:41 PM
Phil, I feel your pain, all it has done in Atlanta, Georgia is rain, rain, rain.!!! Got some footage at the botanical gardens (indoor shots), but just a lot of rain and wind (26 mph). Oh well, still got a week to go. Good luck and remember, "Don't be a fair weather shooter. Bob

Phil Murray
February 25th, 2019, 07:23 PM
Good luck to you, too, this week, Bob. Hope you get some good enough weather to shoot what you want to shoot.

I was lucky to get a short break in the weather for a day and a half to get enough to fit what I'm trying to put together. The funny part is that I've been looking for some bad weather for a week during what is the end of the wettest part of the year here and it's been quite nice. Climate change is really screwing with my work! haha

Paul Mailath
February 26th, 2019, 12:13 AM
I've run out of time again but rather than shelve the project I went to a native Australian garden and shot some footage this afternoon. hopefully, I can make something out of it.

Trond Saetre
February 26th, 2019, 02:19 AM
"Don't be a fair weather shooter.
You really showed us this, Bob! :)
Still almost a week to go, so plenty time for us to go out in the crappy weather.

Bob Safay
March 1st, 2019, 05:54 AM
Still raining in Atlanta but heading out anyway. Just need a few more shots and hopfully get something put together. Good luck to all of you.

Mick Jenner
March 1st, 2019, 09:05 AM
Right! I think I am getting there.

February here on the south coast in the UK started with strong winds and rains and then morphed in the hottest sunniest February on record.

So my entry has also morphed into quite a strange set of sequences. Rather than start a new project as the weather conditions changed I have tried to weave the previously recorded footage this month into my entry as the weather pattern changed. Not sure I have completely succeeded? But still time for a few more tweak's

Mark Hartopp
March 2nd, 2019, 01:02 AM
In the Shark tank again... I think I'll change the rules next time for myself. No Planing - Just grab the camera and spend just one day about 15 hours of filming should do it.

One 5 minute film = 300 seconds
Average short shot length is about 4 seconds, 300/4= 75 shots
Average long shot length is about 9 seconds, 300/9= 33.3 (Say 34 shots)

15 hours * 60 minutes = 900 minutes

900 minutes / 75 shots = 12 minutes to shoot each shot.

Hmm - Should sleep well after that. Does anyone else have any crazy ideas?

Trond Saetre
March 2nd, 2019, 03:25 AM
Good news, Mark! You only need up to 12 hours, for an up to 4 minutes film.
Now you can sleep even better after finishing. ;)

Done some editing today. Should have had more shots, but I'm getting there.
Been many years since last time I didn't know the theme before it was released.
But of course, my entry will, as always, be unofficial.

Notice that it is better to request the upload details sooner than a little too late.

Have fun!

Rob Cantwell
March 2nd, 2019, 07:44 AM
Shark Tank Time

Didn't get to this at all :-(

Gordon Hoffman
March 2nd, 2019, 02:54 PM
Trond I'm having a little trouble with Windows 10 mail. It's not sending out my emails for the upload info, but I can receive them. Hopefully I can fire up my old windows 7 machine to see if I can get an email out. Still got to edit my video but should have something by Sunday night.

Gordon

Phil Murray
March 2nd, 2019, 03:02 PM
Barring a major disaster, I'm almost done. I've done all the editing and just need to add a little narration to make it make sense.

I did get a big scare about an hour ago when I tried to export it from Premiere Pro CC 2018. For the first time ever, it locked up when I tried to select a "Save As" name for the video. I was REALLY panicked, but just selecting to save it in a specific resolution made it go through smoothly.

Hope everyone else is finishing up with great stuff. I'm not really happy with mine because of all the things I could have done differently and better, but at least I got it done this time and I learned SO MUCH that I hope to apply in the future.

Trond Saetre
March 2nd, 2019, 05:26 PM
Trond I'm having a little trouble with Windows 10 mail. It's not sending out my emails for the upload info, but I can receive them. Hopefully I can fire up my old windows 7 machine to see if I can get an email out. Still got to edit my video but should have something by Sunday night.

Gordon
Sent you an email now.
(Same upload details as the previous challenge)

Gordon Hoffman
March 2nd, 2019, 11:26 PM
Got it Trond. Thanks.

Gordon

Trond Saetre
March 3rd, 2019, 08:41 AM
If anyone else is planning to submit an entry, but haven't received upload details for Vimeo yet,
hurry up and send an email to uwol@dvinfo.net.

Would be fantastic if we get 10 or more submissions.

Phil Murray
March 3rd, 2019, 11:57 AM
Mine is uploading now. I'm REALLY disappointed as I learned today that I'm technically not ready to do voiceover narration. The sound quality was horrible -- not my voice, but the overall quality. I definitely have a lot to learn about getting that right. It changed my plan drastically this morning, but hopefully a few changes made the theme clear.

Still, I learned SO much and am excited about the next challenge.

Trond Saetre
March 3rd, 2019, 12:02 PM
Practice makes master.
Don't be afraid to ask if you have any questions, about technical difficulties or anything else.
Glad you have learned something from participating. That is the main goal of UWOL.

Paul Wood
March 3rd, 2019, 05:26 PM
Much as I don’t like not planning (I’m joking), I managed a same day edit, as it’s called in the wedding video industry, and went out at 12 midday with a camera and tripod, walked 6 km and looked for colours. Then, choose a music track, Edit and upload.

I’m not proud, but if that’s what it takes to keep out of reach of the sharks......

I’m sure I’ve submitted worse films with all the planning in the world!

Let’s go for it, folks!

Gordon Hoffman
March 3rd, 2019, 06:26 PM
Well good or bad I got it done and uploaded. Still have 6.5 hours until midnight here.

Gordon

Bob Safay
March 3rd, 2019, 07:20 PM
Mine is up. Phil. don't worry about your VO. The main thing is the fact that you completed the challenge.

Paul Mailath
March 4th, 2019, 12:26 AM
haha - same for me - a same day edit - a least I completed something.

Trond Saetre
March 4th, 2019, 12:37 AM
8 entries uploaded.
Waiting for the last one, where we experience some technical upload issues to sort out.
The films will most likely be published later today.

Andrew Hood
March 4th, 2019, 09:46 PM
I'm back to swimming. I think I struggled with a good idea, and then things seemed to get in the way - applying for a PhD, getting ready to move, and already falling behind on other projects.