View Full Version : UWOL#50 - The Colours of Nature by Paul Wood

Paul Wood
March 5th, 2019, 01:08 PM
I'm happy to say that I've been quite busy this month, but on a carpentry project, but I was determined to enter this round.

We are fortunate to live close to the River Jarama, which marks the boundary between the Spanish provinces of Madrid and Castilla La Mancha, and so I set off on Sunday to look for colours. We are still waiting for the first rain of the year, so things are a bit drab, and there is none of the wild asparagus the area is known for, but there are a surprising amount of last autumns berries left on the trees.

Some of you may recognise the river from earlier videos. No real theme here, other than the images and a nice piece of music.

Please feel free to comment to level 1

Gordon Hoffman
March 5th, 2019, 08:20 PM
Paul you have a real relaxing piece here with some nice footage and music. It does need some storey telling though to really set it off. It's nice to have places close by to film. Thanks for sharing.

Gordon

Paul Mailath
March 5th, 2019, 10:16 PM
I have to agree with the choice of music - really suited the images - I wondered about the focus being soft in a couple of places but It's the compression on vimeo. really relaxing and I enjoyed watching

Trond Saetre
March 6th, 2019, 03:06 AM
Here is Paul's film:
UWOL 50 - Colours of Nature - Paul Wood on Vimeo

Trond Saetre
March 6th, 2019, 03:15 AM
Hi Paul,

Sometimes a film doesn't need a story, to be good.
Being out in the nature, is relaxing for mind and mood, and you showed that.

A few shots were a little over exposed, like those at 1:04, 1:45, and 1:59.
But in all cases, there is a mix of shadows and highlights, which makes it so much more difficult.
Personally I would have preferred to "error" by under exposure, since this is easier to correct in post.

I like what you made! Thanks for sharing.

Mick Jenner
March 6th, 2019, 05:13 AM
Hi Paul,

As others have said, lovely relaxing entry. Good choice of music couple with well put together series of of clips.

There is not much else I can add that others have not covered

Its good to that you were determined to complete and submit an entry, well done.

Mick

Bob Safay
March 6th, 2019, 07:24 AM
Paul, that was beautiful! Your footage was well composed and exposure was perfect. The music was so relaxing. It is true that sometimes you really don't need and narration, the music and video said it all. You took clean simple shots and made them all look beautiful. Very well done.

Phil Murray
March 7th, 2019, 09:05 AM
Thoroughly enjoyed watching your work. It was like watching a beautiful video painting -- shot after shot of wonderful scenes. I thin the music and the footage blended very nicely -- made me feel as if i was outside seeing and experiencing it all as if I was actually there.

Geir Inge
March 8th, 2019, 02:47 PM
Hi Paul.
Really a nice movie.
Editing and your choice of music is great.
It's our own personal experience that matters, and I have a great experience of watching your movie. Thank you for sharing.

LeRoy Gunderson
March 9th, 2019, 09:11 AM
Very nice and relaxing. Perfect music selection. Cool geese. I really enjoyed watching them. Nice job.