View Full Version : UWOL 50 -- What did you shoot with?

Phil Murray
March 7th, 2019, 10:51 AM
I thought I'd start a thread for the technical stuff that not everyone mentions (or maybe cares about) in their video or the accompanying notes.

I shot my video on an older Sony AX100 in 4K and rendered to 1080 for Vimeo. I didn't use anything except a tripod on a few of the flower shots. It was edited in Premiere Pro CC 2018. The first part was graded to emphasize the dreary nature of Cusco during the rainy season, but the second part in the jungle was original footage with no grading or additional coloring.

I'd love to hear about the technical part of everyone's work.

Gordon Hoffman
March 7th, 2019, 12:14 PM
Ok Phil this could be interesting. I was using a 150 to 600 Tamron G2 on a Panasonic GH5, which was in the ETC mode on some of the shots, for all the wildlife and the odd scenic shot. For the wider shots it was a Panasonic GH4 with the first version of the 14 to 140 Panasonic lens. I shot a lot of this off hand which I don't like to do so most of it was stabilized in post. It was all shot in 4K 30p and 60p. As for editing I used Edius 8 WG edited in 4k 30p(29.97) and exported to 1080. I tweaked some of the shots to try and match the lighting. I never sharpened any shots but maybe should have tried to a few shot to see if would have helped. I hope this helps.

Gordon

Trond Saetre
March 7th, 2019, 12:40 PM
Filmed on ground with Canon XF300, and aerials with Mavic 2 zoom.
No color correcting, but a few shots were motion stabilized in post.
Editing with Adobe premiere pro cs6.

Bob Safay
March 7th, 2019, 04:32 PM
Like Trond I also use a Canon XF300 at 1920x1080 50 mb/s and edited using Vegas Pro16. I use a Rode NT1-A microphone on a shock mount with pop filter to do the narration. In post I added just a touch of gamma and saturation.

Paul Mailath
March 8th, 2019, 12:20 AM
I shot on a lumix gx85 with a canon FD 50mm lens and a speedbooster adaptor - edited in Edius 9 - no CC or stabilisation in post (I think I slowed a couple of clips down.

Paul Mailath
March 8th, 2019, 12:22 AM
which was in the ETC mode on some of the shots
Gordon

How do you find the ECT mode? I've never been really happy with it (only tried a couple of time and gave up on it) but I might have to revisit it

Gordon Hoffman
March 8th, 2019, 07:43 AM
Paul I haven't noticed a lot of difference in the quality of the footage. I shoot in 4k and I'm happy with it.

Gordon

Mick Jenner
March 8th, 2019, 08:30 AM
Having just purchased a Sony FS5 mk2 this challenge gave me the perfect opportunity to st up and test it.

The birds on the beach, garden, owl and fencing were all filmed either 1080 50p centre scan or 1080 120p using a sigma 150-600mm sport lens,mounted via MTF nikon/sony adapter.

The close up bee FS5 with a Sony 70- 200mm lens

Indoor close up of last piece being put into puzzle the 18-105mm sony kit lens.

Mounted on a Satchler SB10 head and standard fibre legs.

Time lapses both crocus and puzzle GOPRO hero 6 in using 2K settings

Edited with edius 8.5 using a 1920x1080 HD 16:9 10bit project setting.

Ambient sound recorded with Sennheizer M66 away from but direct into camera XLR port . Voice over with studio mic make unknown with a popper in front

LeRoy Gunderson
March 8th, 2019, 08:33 AM
I primarily used a Canon HF-G40 and mostly Handheld. A couple of the scenes were shot on a Sony FX7. All the footage was edited in Final Cut Pro X. The music came from the additional content provided by Apple for FCPX.

I like this thread. Interesting to see what other folks are shooting with. i sometimes also use a Canon XLH1.

Phil Murray
March 8th, 2019, 01:32 PM
I noticed that no one posted their videos in 4k. Personally, I'd love to see everything you did in 4k, but I'm curious why no one posted it in that resolution. I didn't because upload speeds too slow. (I should have much faster interney next week so I'd like to post in 4k in the future.

I'm going back to the US in a few weeks and may bring back my old Ex1r. Besides not having to pay much, if anything, for import taxes due to its age, I think I can get a lot more from it. It's just SO big compared to my AX100! I really miss the professional options it gave me to get a great picture.

Trond Saetre
March 8th, 2019, 01:40 PM
I only shoot in 1080p because that is what my camera can do, and I don't have any 4k monitors to view higher resolution. No plans to upgrade neither camera nor TV in the near future, so I'm happy with 1080p.

Paul Mailath
March 9th, 2019, 12:55 AM
I shot in 1080 because I wanted the 50p for slow motion - for streaming I don't bother with 4k (I may film in it but I work & render in 1080

Mick Jenner
March 9th, 2019, 03:06 AM
Interesting that three of us are using Edius for editing. In my circle (wildlife) over here I am the only one, most have never even heard of it.

My answer re 4k v HD is the same as Paul's.

Geir Inge
March 9th, 2019, 03:59 AM
Camera: Sony PXW-FS5 and Canon EOS 5d M3 and GoPro 3.
Drone: DJI Phantom 3, advance (at the moment not working)
Lens: Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS and 18-105mm Sony kit lens
I also use my cellphone occasionally, it's a Samsung Galaxy 7edge.
Editing: Vegas Pro 16 (Windows PC)
Sound: Smartsound 6 and Acid pro 7

In general, I like to work with sound.
I am of the opinion that sound and image are both equally important in film creation.
They just belong together and in each way give the film depth.
This last round of UWOL, time ran out on me, so I just plugged a mic straight into the PC.
Got some echo on the voice, which I didn't have time to edit.
I also got a problem uploading the video and it was more important to fix this.
Got some help from Michael and Trond, thank you both :)

In general, I think we can work more with sound in our UWOL movies.
I remember especially Ruth Happel, joined Uwol from the start.
Just sayin, when it comes to sound we could learn a lot from her videos.

Gordon Hoffman
March 9th, 2019, 07:47 AM
Phil since I live in a rural area my internet connection is through cell towers and I have a limited data plan so I have to keep the file size down so no 4k.

Gordon

Gordon Hoffman
March 9th, 2019, 08:18 AM
Yes Geir Inge natural sound does put a video up on a whole new level. Sound can take a fair amount of time to do right. It's something you have to do all through the whole video to make it sound right. For me with a long lens and the wind blowing I get very little usable audio with my shots so I have to come up with it after the fact. I'd have to get my act together so I'm not down to the last day before I even start to edit. :)

Gordon

Trond Saetre
March 9th, 2019, 11:29 AM
In general, I think we can work more with sound in our UWOL movies.
I remember especially Ruth Happel, joined Uwol from the start.
Just sayin, when it comes to sound we could learn a lot from her videos.
Agreed! She was/is a master of the sound. Learned much from her.

Yes, most of the feedback throughout the years since the beginning of UWOL, has focused on content and image quality/framing, and so on.
Very little focus on the sound quality and/or sound equipment.

So to start:
What sound equipment do you guys use for the UWOL challenges?
I have very limited sound gear myself:
Shure SM58 handheld, with a 10 meter cable. Should probably have picked another one, as this one gives a very low volume, which I need to boost in post. But sound quality is good.
Rode Videomic (the first version, which I bought in 2003, I think it was), in addition to the built in mic of the XF300.
The built in mic of the XF300. Surprisingly I find this sometimes to be even better than the two others, especially indoors.

Trond Saetre
March 9th, 2019, 11:48 AM
It could also be interesting to hear what settings and codecs you use for the UWOL videos.
Software: Adobe Media Encoder CS6
The originals with AVID DNxHR,
and for UWOL:
H.264 1080p 25fps, 2-pass VBR 14mbps target bitrate, with max render quality.
Audio: AAC, 320kbps bitrate

Gordon Hoffman
March 10th, 2019, 08:07 PM
Trond I use a Zoom H5 to record audio. I use the onboard stereo mics to record ambient audio. I will also use it with a Sennheiser ME66 shotgun mic which I do have a blimp for. I also record my narration with the H5 and ME66.

Gordon

Mark Williams
March 10th, 2019, 09:30 PM
How do you find the ECT mode? I've never been really happy with it (only tried a couple of time and gave up on it) but I might have to revisit it

I have a GH5 and Oly 75-300 lens. With ETC on I get nice detail.