View Full Version : Announcing the first "Mat Thompson Award" for UWOL 50, courtesy of B&H

Chris Hurd
March 12th, 2019, 08:24 AM
Howdy folks,

It's been awhile since we've had sponsorship for this contest. UWOL 50 was an important milestone for us, and it needed something special for the winner. I reached out to DVi site sponsor B&H Photo Video (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/?BI=2855&KBID=3801) and my contact there graciously agreed to provide a worthy prize for the 1st place winner.

I would like very much to refer to this prize as the first Mat Thompson (http://www.dvinfo.net/article/misc/in-memory-of-mat-thompson.html) award, although I have not yet sought permission from his family to do so. I just thought it might be a worthwhile way to honor Mat's memory and all he has done to help get the UWOL Challenge up and running so long ago.

This award is in the form of a redeemable B&H gift card. The nice thing about having B&H behind this, is their cheerful ability to do business world-wide, not just the USA. It can be used however the recipient sees fit... put it towards a particular piece of equipment that's been on the wish list, for hardware or software or recording media or whatever; the B&H inventory is incredibly extensive and they're bound to have something useful that you would like to have. So, I'm very glad that they have stepped in to help make this happen.

Actually it's not a physical card, but a card number with an associated PIN, which is sent by email and usable immediately upon receipt for online shopping at B&H. As far as I know, there is no expiration date, so it can certainly be held for future use.

The value of the B&H gift card for the first Mat Thompson Award is $250 and it goes to Bob Safay.

To make good news even better, B&H has provided two of these, so now I'm finally able to show some appreciation where it is really due... which is to Trond Saetre. It's really only a token gesture compared to all of the time and work that he has put into the UWOL Challenge over the years; just a small way to say "tusen takk" to the fellow who keeps on making the UWOL Challenge a reality for the rest of us.

For Bob and Trond, I will be contacting you at the email addresses that I have on file to make sure they're correct, and upon hearing back from you, I will be forwarding your $250 gift cards from B&H.

Many thanks to everyone who participated in this round! I loved watching all of your entries. My personal favorite was the one from Geir Inge. Of course, a big thank you to B&H. I'm hoping to arrange another Mat Thompson Award for a future UWOL Challenge. It would be great if it becomes a regular thing. But regardless, please keep shooting video!

Trond Saetre
March 12th, 2019, 09:01 AM
Thank you very much, Chris! This was an amazing surprise.

Nice to see the award going to not only the winner of the 50th UWOL challenge, but at the same time a dedicated film maker who has participated in the UWOL challenge for many years. Congratulations Bob!

Rob Cantwell
March 12th, 2019, 09:27 AM
Congrats to the winner, thanks to everyone who took part and nice one Chris and B&H

Donald McPherson
March 12th, 2019, 11:20 AM
Very well deserved. Congrats to both of you.
Now watch the numbers go up the next UWOL.
Even though I have never entered. In a way, I am happy the prize
went to a winner that was not expecting or competing for a prize
but just the joy of competing.

Trond Saetre
March 12th, 2019, 12:09 PM
Donald, it is never to late to try something new.
You are welcome to participate in the UWOL challenge whenever you want.

Gordon Hoffman
March 12th, 2019, 12:17 PM
Chris this is a great idea and I'm glad Trond has also been rewarded for all the effort he has put into this.
Thanks.

Gordon

Geir Inge
March 12th, 2019, 05:27 PM
This is good news.
A great way to honor those who should be honored.

Bob Safay
March 15th, 2019, 02:08 PM
This is a real honor. I was out of town fishing and had limited Wi-Fi connection. I cant believe that we have now completed UWOL #50. Congratulations Trond, we all know how hard you have worked on this thread. And, congratulations to everyone who takes the time and effort to continue to support UWOL. Bob

Phil Murray
March 15th, 2019, 05:32 PM
I agree that these two deserve special recognition -- Bob for his outstanding work and Trond for the wonderful job he does with this.

Trond, I know I've thanked you before, but I hope you know that you are appreciated so much by everyone.

If you ever come to Peru, I'll make sure you have the greatest trip here ever!

Trond Saetre
March 15th, 2019, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the kind words, everyone! Much appreciated.

Mick Jenner
March 19th, 2019, 07:39 AM
Sorry for late response, thought I already had.

Congratulations Trond, well deserved for all your hard work and perseverance in keeping the challenges up and running.

Well done Bob.

Mick Jenner
March 19th, 2019, 08:22 AM
Sorry for late response, thought I already had.

Congratulations Trond, well deserved for all your hard work and perseverance in keeping the challenges up and running.

Well done Bob.

Paul Wood
March 26th, 2019, 04:33 AM
Great news about the award, and well done to Bob for winning, and of course to Trond for his continuous hard work on keeping the contest running!