View Full Version : Olive: A new professional open source free non-linear video editor

Guy Caplin
May 8th, 2019, 03:51 AM
I would like to draw members attention to Olive. https://www.olivevideoeditor.org/

While this software is still in the early stages of development and the current downloads are claimed to be 'Alpha', I have found this software to be reasonably stable and it contains many interesting features. It seems to have much in common with Premiere and is reasonably intuitive to use.

What surprised me is that I was able to use a cheap laptop with only 4 GB of RAM and a single SSD to do some quite complex editing. The originators are promising continuous updates and improvements with the goal of providing software to rival many of the professional packages.

It's early day yet but Olive is certainly worth keeping an eye on in my opinion.

Dave Baker
May 8th, 2019, 04:41 AM
I tried it a while ago and found it missing some things that I find essential. But I agree with you, it's worth keeping in mind because it looks promising.

David Barnett
June 20th, 2019, 06:47 AM
The editing I do lately is mostly pretty basic, cuts & transitions. Considering dropping Premiere if this editor is capable. Anyone have any feedback on it? One question, does it do some modest color correction? I do like CC for its preset coloring features.

Paul R Johnson
June 24th, 2019, 05:49 AM
Well - it's pretty similar to premiere. Transitions seem a bit strange, and I had no luck with audio - there would be a burst of noise then silence. tried bringing in some wavs or mp3s rather than Mac aiffs, but no luck so far.

Looks like it could work with a bit more development. Interesting product.

Brad Kraus
June 24th, 2019, 12:23 PM
If basic is all you need, while you are waiting for this one to get spiffed up, don't forget that Black Magic has a free version of Davinci Resolve available as well....