View Full Version : To improve the sound of the PRIME X299-DELUXE video card?

Adriano Moroni
June 16th, 2019, 11:34 PM
Hi, I have a full case PC with the PRIME X299-DELUXE motherboard. I've connected two good quality speakers but I don't listen well, maybe because the integrated sound card can't do much good. I'd like to buy something to give my ears good listening and then improve the sound, what would you like me to do?
I hope some suggestions by someone with a lot of experience and who knows my PRIME X299-DELUXE.

One thing is certain, I wouldn't want to spend much.
Is it better to gt a DAC or an internal sound card?
Pleaase, write a precise model for a cheap budget.
Thank you.

Paul R Johnson
June 17th, 2019, 04:38 AM
An external interface would be our usual recommendation - and it's a quality vs price thing. how much do you want to spend? Keep in mind that much of the price is on the preamp and microphone interface. For playback, even the modest priced ones could meet your requirements if recording isn't high on your list/

Adriano Moroni
June 17th, 2019, 05:57 AM
Thanks for your info. My budget is little around 50 euro or less because I will use it only those speakers.
The most iomportant thing is a better audio that I'm listening now.

Paul R Johnson
June 17th, 2019, 09:15 AM
What's actually the problem with the audio you have now that you need to improve? noise, distortion, frequency response? Have a look for the cheap Behringer interface - it could work for you.

Adriano Moroni
June 17th, 2019, 10:15 AM
My problem is the poor quality od the listening quality. I think I will buy a PCI internal audio card.

Paul R Johnson
June 17th, 2019, 10:20 AM
why ask then? I don't think we have recommended internal cards for a long time now due to noise issues - their days in quality audio are numbered unless you spend a LOT of money.

Adriano Moroni
June 17th, 2019, 10:42 AM
My budget is around 100 euro. I'd like to follow your advice but I'm inexperienced and don't know what to choose. I don't care if there is no noise. I don't have to listen music.
I make video editing of my UHD shots and I make video editing by myself. They are documentaries with voice-over and I need to listen a clear voice and clear background music.
I need a precise advice please.
Thanks

Patrick Tracy
June 17th, 2019, 12:19 PM
It would help a lot if you would describe the exact nature of the audio deficiency with your stock sound card, what speakers you're using and how you're connecting them together. Most stock audio cards are quite adequate for monitoring playback, so I wonder if there's something wrong with the way you've got it connected to your speakers.

Paul R Johnson
June 17th, 2019, 01:32 PM
Voice over? so you DO need to record? DO NOT buy an internal card, if you want to connect quality microphones to match your UHD visuals then XLR sockets and probably phantom power are pretty important. For video editing it's also very important that the latency is low. in one of my edit machines I do use the internal motherboard audio - it's not too good for audio because you can hear data bus noise, but that is not on the final audio output to file, just on the audio output to the speakers and I I live with it. However, the edit machine we use for audio heavy products runs into a Lexicon omega, that we retired from other duties. So many products - we really need as much info as you can provide.

Adriano Moroni
June 17th, 2019, 01:52 PM
I listen a slight rumble and audio degradation. The voice is not clear.
Now I explain you better. I write the the comment for the video in word format. Then I go to a professional sound studio where the speaker read it on a 1000 euro professional microphones. Then they give me that file and I add it into the video editing system and then once it's on the timeline (Edius 9), I listen to the mix sound among voice on, music and live sound. I have two cheap but good monitors to listen what is on the timeline. They are Edifer R1600T Plus.
Do you think I will get a better listening with a DAC or a internal PCI audio card?
Thanks you!

Patrick Tracy
June 17th, 2019, 06:49 PM
I listen a slight rumble and audio degradation. The voice is not clear.

Is the rumble continuous, even when there is no audio playing, or does it just happen when the audio plays?

How does the sound compare to what you hear on headphones?

Adriano Moroni
June 18th, 2019, 01:13 AM
I listen a bad voice only when I listen it with Edius 9. It is hard to explain because the voice is just different when I listen it without Edius and by Edius timeline. Without Edius I listen a better voice. It seems the timeline of Edius degrade a bit the voice, it is different: flatter and less clear. When I export that UHD project from Edius timeline to a .H.264 file and I watch that file on a TV with a good Audio system, I liesten a bad voice too. On Edius timeline I need to add an audio filter to listen a better voice.

Paul R Johnson
June 18th, 2019, 03:47 AM
I think we need to listen to one of your finished clips. We are having difficulty with the language - sound is very difficult for an English person to describe, and your translations are not working very well.

Look at these areas:

Background noise
Poor frequency response
hums and buzzes
peaky frequency response.

Some very small loudspeakers cause far more issues than the sound card. it is possible your audio at the moment is quite good, but your loudspeakers are causing the problem, or you could have excellent speakers and a poor sound performance - we really just don't know.

I cannot tell from your description where your issues are? If you play your clips on another system with good sound - what does it sound like? I wonder if you are producing excellent quality and just cannot hear it?

Adriano Moroni
June 18th, 2019, 06:51 AM
I attach the original audio file and the other one editated video by Edius 9. On the video there is a slightly too strong audio in the background but I didn't want to change the original settings.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/04lz1swwb31l3v5/Prova%20audio.wav?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kl2k0ynwl43q7r0/Prova%20audio.mp4?dl=0
I'm not an experienced guy but it seems there is a "Poor frequency response" on the edited voice.

Jeff Pulera
June 18th, 2019, 08:34 AM
Assuming the audio source files are 48k quality, make sure that EDIUS project is set to 48k and also that the PC sound card is set to 48k - I have seen them set to 44.1 and so there is a conversion happening. Keep things consistent through the entire pipeline.

Thanks

Jeff

Adriano Moroni
June 18th, 2019, 09:53 AM
I'm sorry but I don't understand. Those 2 files are 48K.

Paul R Johnson
June 18th, 2019, 01:50 PM
On the audio clip, you went over level - hitting 0dB at 17 seconds - so it's too hot, and the level will probably distort equipment incapable of handling it. In terms of signal to noise there are no issues and the frequency response is fine - plenty of top and and controlled bass.

In the video clip, you just have the balance wrong - the background is too loud and the contents of the track are in the same area, so voices blurr together. You can sort this by lowering the background level, and perhaps using some eq to lower the levels in the 300-3500Hz range so the voice over can sitt in the gap a bit better. Nothing I can hear tells me the souncard/on board sound is having any impact on what we can hear - it's luckily just your monitoring which I suspect may well just be your speakers more than the sound chipset.

Adriano Moroni
June 18th, 2019, 02:29 PM
Paul, you are right. But I'm not a fool who doesn't understand this. I had to take a filter out on the audio on the Edius 9 timenile and without that filter the volume of the voice went down. I did that test only to check the voice.
Anyway I thank you.

Richard Crowley
June 18th, 2019, 02:58 PM
I agree with @Paul R Johnson. I listened to both clips. Thank you for posting them.
The narration clip sounds fine to me. Very well done. Professional quality with no issues.
The video clip does seem like the ambient sounds are mixed too high, compared to the narration and the music.

Perhaps the problem is with your monitoring system?
It takes a good monitor system to produce a good mix.
Have you positioned you speakers properly to avoid acoustic problems?
Problems like lower frequencies (bass notes) building up in corners and producing a false result.
Some speakers have switches or adjustments to compensate for various placements.

Perhaps study some examples of how to properly set up your monitoring/mixing station.
And play some known examples of music or sound tracks so that you "calibrate" your ear to your speakers.

Play your video/mix on other systems. Listen in a good theater if possible.
And then compare how it sounds in a theater to how it sounds in your mixing setup.
That will help "calibrate" what you are hearing while editing and mixing to what it will sound to audiences.

Adriano Moroni
June 18th, 2019, 11:40 PM
Richard, I repeat: I had to take a filter out on the audio on the Edius 9 timenile and without that filter the volume of the voice went down. For that reason you hear a bad mix. I did that test only to check the voice.
Anyway I thank you.

PS: Out of curiosity:
do you think a DAC like it could be useful to me or it is so cheap and it is better to use the integrated audio card in Asus PRIME X299-DELUXE?
Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100
thank you!

Paul R Johnson
June 19th, 2019, 12:14 AM
the Cambridge unit is a fine device FOR HI-FI PEOPLE. For us, who are very interested in recording, a device that cannot have microphones plugged into it is flawed. We never give it a mention here - just the wrong product for anyone who has to record, and I suspect at some time, you will need to. Search this forum and you will see all sorts of popular interfaces, the Cambridge doesn't feature.

You still can't quite get to grips with your 'quality' assessment. Clearly the quality you can create inside the machine is fine - your issue is monitoring quality. Could be the chip, but frankly I suspect you just have poor speakers. Do you have any high quality headphones you can use to assess what comes out of the computer? Or can you connect the speaker system to a know quality CD/audio player you trust.

I don't think we can help further without being in your room.

Why don't you go to the German Thomann website and look at their range of interfaces - in your price range there are quite a few, but be prepared for the price you pay being spent firmly on the recording side - the replay side being fairly straightforward and very good in virtually every unit, including the cheaper ones.

Adriano Moroni
June 19th, 2019, 03:18 AM
Thanks for your interesting info. A last question please:
Cosa ne pensate di questo Focusrite, Scarlett 2I2 2Nd Generation?

What is your thought about this DAC?
Focusrite, Scarlett 2I2 2Nd Generation

I have a Sony 65 "TV with a 5.1 system from Bose. They are 10 years old speakers with the 2 satellites + 1 central speaker and 2 rear speakers. All driven by the Onkyo TX-NR545 amplifier (much more recent). If I had to add that DAC I posted above, would the audio gain quality? I don't watch TV programs but only my dicumentaries with the narrative voice on.
Thanks again for your welcome info.

Richard Crowley
June 19th, 2019, 06:12 AM
The Scarlett 2i2 is a very popular audio interface capable of fully professional results.

However, I would not expect that changing the DAC in your monitor system will produce significant improvement or even perceptible difference. It is MUCH MUCH more likely that the speakers themselves are the limiting factor and not the DAC or amplifier.

The Bose speakers would be good for checking your mix to hear what consumer video systems will hear. But they are NOT suitable for actually creating the mix. Bose speakers are not noted for their uniform frequency response.

The more we hear about your situation, it sounds like you may simply need better speakers for your editing system. And remember that the physical configuration and the acoustical properties of your editing station are also important to your ability. Where you place your speakers relative to where you sit. And the nature of the walls around and behind you.

Pete Cofrancesco
June 19th, 2019, 06:13 AM
Most people including myself would use headphones for this type of work. Why don’t you use headphones?
If or when you do use headphones does this problem exist?

You also suggest that your video editing software is causing this, if this is the case you should use a better editing software or at least use a separate audio editing software to make the sound mix.

Also, even good quality mainstream sound systems color the sound like add more bass because that’s what consumers enjoy . That’s why they sell speakers designed for monitoring.

What other people were saying external audio interfaces are used for recording and if your outsourcing the VO work... but it sounds like you’re convinced that you need an external digital to analog convertor, so buy what fits your budget and let us know how it turns out.

Adriano Moroni
June 19th, 2019, 08:26 AM
Hey, I think you don't understand my question for my bad english. My question doesn't refer to video editing but when I watch my videos on TV.
I wrote:
I have a Sony 65" TV with a 5.1 system from Bose. They are 10 years old speakers with the 2 satellites + 1 central speaker and 2 rear speakers. All driven by the Onkyo TX-NR545 amplifier (much more recent). If I had to add that DAC I posted above, would the audio gain quality? I don't watch TV programs but only my dicumentaries with the narrative voice on.
Thanks again for your welcome info.

Paul R Johnson
June 19th, 2019, 09:18 AM
Hang on? We're talking about watching videos on a TV set, with a 5.1 system?

Not really our thing - but Bose is never known for being universally appreciated - it has a characteristic sound, all of its own and like Marmite, you love it or hate it - but few people would ever produce audio using Bose as monitors speakers, because truthful, they are not!

However, I suspect that your mixing issues are due to poor handling of the 5.1 coding. I've been mixing in stereo for years and cannot produce good 5.1 mixes that also work in stereo. Often voices in the centre channel are too loud, too soft, and it's important to band limit these.

As we cannot hear what you hear - how can we help? We are guessing? You still have not told us what the quality issue is - noise - distortion - clarity - frequency response.

Sorry, but it's still not at all clear what your actual problem is? You mentioned editing software - so we all thought you had issues with the editing software on the edit machine going into loudspeakers. Now it's turned into a hifi system connected to a TV???

Adriano Moroni
June 19th, 2019, 09:30 AM
Before we talked about another topic related to Edius 9 and the PC. Now let's talk about a different topic and that is the audio system on TV.

It is hard to tell in english about my issue. With one word I can tell as music, as sound effects and narrative voice on are all kneaded. They are not clear. The voice has to stand out but it is not in this way.

In both ways I have the same problem.

Paul R Johnson
June 19th, 2019, 09:48 AM
Is this a fault, or just a sound you don't like? I do not think we can help - if it is distorted, we could help. Same with the other faults, but "they are not clear" this makes no sense? Sorry.

Patrick Tracy
June 19th, 2019, 10:42 AM
All driven by the Onkyo TX-NR545 amplifier (much more recent).

I connect my computer by HDMI to my receiver's HDMI input and the receiver functions as the DAC. HDMI carries both audio and video.

Graham Bernard
June 20th, 2019, 01:11 AM
Is this a fault, or just a sound you don't like? I do not think we can help - if it is distorted, we could help. Same with the other faults, but "they are not clear" this makes no sense? Sorry.

Me neither Paul....Ugh..... BTW, I’ve been using an External PRESONUS Box like since forever. Less than £80 and takes a Mic and another input. XLR&1/4 jacks combo INs. I have it tethered to an ancient, now discontinued 10 CH Behringer EuroRack Mixer - nice. Prior to this S/N was rubbish from my internal, -35dB, on a good day. Now I can achieve -75 dB about as best I can get, I’m happy. V/O and Radio3 sounds stunning on my Maudio monitors.

Hum loop back is a reet real PITA. Added to which much of our households use PowerLine adaptors which can add even more sauce to the mix. I had my Modem nearby and that leaks like a colander which has had and extra peppering of buckshot.

Oh yes, nearly forgot, I recently downloaded a Software Oscilloscope meant for analysing Wave Forms. I’ve been using it since my 5” analogue CRT Sillyscopen went to meet its Making. I’m sooooo sad. But hey, I can now Lock and Trap and do other amazing Digital analysis with this Freebie.

Laters Gators - G

Paul R Johnson
June 20th, 2019, 02:55 AM
I thought about Graham's comments and I suspect that I too am perfectly happy with the output quality of practically everything nowadays - the killers being hums and noise just from the interface. I dug out an old Maya card the other day - 4 outputs from an ancient recording system, and managed to find some drivers and it's running some theatre replay kit - it worked brilliantly in my studio, but ground loops/and other connection issues mean it's connected via a DI box, with floating grounds to make it silent. It's got to be fifteen years old technology and sounds no different to anything else. now we hear mics, we hear loudspeakers, but so much of the rest is tiny differences that mean little. I n' remember the last time I hated the sound of a piece of kit. I just wish I knew what the OP actually means.

Adriano Moroni
June 20th, 2019, 09:41 AM
Hi friends, I don't have any good headphone to do some tests. I'm sorry, but I'd like to ask a question, maybe asked by an inexperienced person.
Is there anyone doing video editing completely with an headphone?
Is it stupid to do this or can it be done?

Seth Bloombaum
June 20th, 2019, 09:50 AM
Lots of people edit on headphones.

Nobody should be doing their eq, compression, or mixes on headphones, unless their viewers will be wearing headphones.

Headphones sound different than speakers. They tend to overstate quiet parts of the mix, meaning, you’ll tend to mix music too high, and not realize when dialog can’t easily be heard.

Adriano Moroni
June 20th, 2019, 09:55 AM
Thanks for your suggestion. Now I understand better.

Graham Bernard
June 20th, 2019, 09:59 AM
If you’re only going to watch your videos and it’s only you who’s gonna watch/listen to your work then maybe. Seriously, I need to hear the power and depth of my Audio supporting and adding to my video via Monitors. There is a difference. Cans are great for analysis of the ingredients of my Audio. Making adjustments using solely Cans will get you a skewed sonic experience.

Patrick Tracy
June 20th, 2019, 10:24 AM
Headphones will tend to emphasize material panned to the side over material panned to center. This is due to the lack of cross bleed between left and right where the left ear hears some of the right speaker and the right ear hears some of the left speaker.

But it is good to check mixes on headphones since so many people do use them. If you have anything in the low frequency range panned to one side it can be uncomfortable to listen in headphones. The isolation between left and right is particularly unnatural at low frequencies since in real life anything below about 300Hz is heard about equally by both ears.

Graham Bernard
June 20th, 2019, 10:53 AM
Thanks Patrick. Excellent description of the usage and value of cans.

Adriano Moroni
June 20th, 2019, 11:08 AM
Important replies, I thank you. But someone could do video editing with the headphone and to adjust the sounds at the end. But maybe it is a double effort. ;)

Patrick Tracy
June 20th, 2019, 11:28 AM
I often to the actual video editing using headphones, but I definitely finish the audio on speakers.

Adriano Moroni
June 20th, 2019, 11:55 AM
Could I ask you which headphone are you using please?

Seth Bloombaum
June 20th, 2019, 12:55 PM
Sennheiser HD280

Graham Bernard
June 20th, 2019, 01:22 PM
Ditto Sennheiser HD280. Great close backs.

Pete Cofrancesco
June 20th, 2019, 01:42 PM
I use Sony MDR v6 which is a very popular and affordable choice.

I edit exclusively with headphones but I use my levels meter to judge volume. Just like I would use my wave form instead of my monitor to judge exposure. Everyones work is different but for me I’m listening for problems but I agree it’s good to listen to the final results on speakers.

I really like headphones because they isolate all the background noise I get at home, computer fan, ac window unit, leaf blowers, lawn mowers, you name it, there is a lot of background noise out there.

Adriano Moroni
June 20th, 2019, 03:31 PM
Hey, I have just bought a headphone but I think I made a wrong purchase because I bought a headphone with bluetooth. I think you need only need a cable and not a bluetooth in the video. I hope you can reply me as soon as possible so I can remove my order if it is wrong.

Patrick Tracy
June 20th, 2019, 06:52 PM
There's often too much delay in Bluetooth for me to use it when syncing audio to video.

Josh Bass
June 20th, 2019, 07:04 PM
Friendos

Sonorworks headphone reference is a piece of software that is supposed to eq your phones (and does some other, deeper magic) to make them suitable for sound/music mixing. They have presets for many different models of cans or you can literally ship your phones to wherever they are they will profile your set and make a custom correction for you. You can either run your entire machine through it (so all audio out of your machine is “accurate”) or insert it as plugin at the end of your chain on the master channel (turn it off when rendering final outpt). You will find polarized reviews by people who both swear by it and think its crap.

I have used it for music mixes since I cant set up a proper room, and it definitely seems to help. I’d say if you mixed with the Sonorworks/headphones to get close, and then listened on some other systems (monitors, even in bad room), computer speakers, etc., you should be able to “get there”.

It runs about $100 and has a free trial.

Paul R Johnson
June 21st, 2019, 05:50 AM
I just can't mix properly on headphones. Great for getting close, but equally, I'd rather mix on headphones than horrible speakers.

Graham Bernard
June 21st, 2019, 06:04 AM
I just can't mix properly on headphones. Great for getting close, but equally, I'd rather mix on headphones than horrible speakers.
It’s both. Yeah, horrible speakers, yuck. My M-Audio Monitors fit my bill, and if essential or getting to mix-down (?) Senni Cans. I use Cans on any iZotope RX work that require a more forensic approach.