View Full Version : UWOL 52 - Garden of the Dragon Ballet Dancers

Mick Jenner
August 5th, 2019, 04:18 AM
Hi all,

This was a last minute entry. Have been away most of the month whilst at the same time waiting for a new long lens for the camera.(having already sold my sigma sport 150-600mm)

Received my new lens the Sony 200-600 a couple of weeks ago and after playing with it attached to the Sony FS5 realised I might just have enough footage to make up a short entry.

Having just again reviewed the film have noticed I did not identify the stars. The mating pair are common darters and the dancing pair at the end are large red Damselflies that I filmed at the the start of the month using a Sony 70-200 on the FS5

All the footage, with the exception of a short clip of common darters egg dipping at 1.25 from my archive, was recorded on, in and by my pond.

UWOL 52 - Garden of the Dragon Ballet Dancers by Mick Jenner on Vimeo

Please feel free to comment.

Mick

Henry Williams
August 5th, 2019, 05:16 AM
Hi Mick,

I really enjoyed watching your entry. I learned a lot from the thoughtful narration and your macro footage was great. Presumably that new Sony lens has pretty good close focus capabilities?

I was really surprised by the amount of wildlife supported by what is, as you say, a relatively small pond. It's definitely inspired me to get digging in my own little backyard!

Henry

Mick Jenner
August 5th, 2019, 06:43 AM
Hi Henry,

Thanks for watching and commenting, pleased you enjoyed.

To answer your question re the lens, its closest focus is 2.4 metres. As I was only filming in HD you can with the FS5 use what they centre scan that gives a 2x crop hence I was able to get what appear to be close up macro.

Mick

Henry Williams
August 5th, 2019, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the info Mick. You got really good results with it!

Bob Safay
August 8th, 2019, 01:03 PM
Mick, very well done. Good steady close ups. Your narration was perfect as was your story line. I really enjoyed this video because I also have a small pond in my yard. Also, as a former entomologist I have always enjoyed the dragonflies and damselflies.

Trond Saetre
August 8th, 2019, 01:18 PM
Hi Mick,

This was a nice film! Loved the close up of the dragonfly and the dancing sequence in the end. I have many times tried to film them, but it is really difficult, and here you made it look so easy.

Very nice that you had a good story about the dragonflies.

Thanks for sharing! Well done!

Mick Jenner
August 9th, 2019, 03:22 AM
Hi Bob and Trond,

Thanks so much for watching and your feed back, very much appreciated.

Mick

LeRoy Gunderson
August 11th, 2019, 07:23 AM
Nice! I very much enjoyed watching your video. Very informative too.

Dale Guthormsen
August 13th, 2019, 06:22 PM
Well done Mick.

Id like to pick a shot as the best or most preferred but can't because the entire video is superior shots!!

I am not fond of the stoppage of the background music as it broke my intense concentration and attraction to the footage. I thought ewhat happened instead of staying focuse like I was till then!!!

It is an amazing piece of work and as good as any Ive watched on bbc, etc.

Even better yet I learned some things about Dragon flies and damsel flies!!

A deserving winner no matter how many people were involved.

TOP SHELF STUFF.

Chris Hurd
August 13th, 2019, 06:58 PM
Absolutely amazing.

I learned something today. In just three minutes, to boot!

Excellent job, Mick. Well done.

Mick Jenner
August 14th, 2019, 02:06 AM
Hi Lee, Dale and Chris,

Thank you all so much for taking time and commenting, I very much appreciate it.

Vishal Jadhav
August 19th, 2019, 10:52 PM
Wonderful film Mick.

Looks like you are enjoying the new lens and the results are good