View Full Version : Son's Wedding

Wayne Faulkner
October 6th, 2019, 12:25 PM
Whilst I've a lot of experience in Sports Videography and Live Streaming Events, my son did want me to video his Wedding recently.

I've kind of avoided social events like Weddings because I've never really been inspired by it all, so I'm a complete newbie at this.

I used 1080P Cameras, three fixed position on tripods, one roving on a monopole, one handheld, and even have some Mobile Phone footage that wasn't covered by any of the other cameras.

I recorded the ceremony and signing the marriage register from three angles on tripods, then recorded the evenings events from three angles on tripods indoors, plus the two roving cameras around the site, and then was offered the mobile footage before the Wedding (bride preparing), and took some of my own after the Wedding (carrying over the threshold).

My dilemma is I have so much interesting stuff that I'm afraid to edit stuff to the cutting floor, there's no problem it running for longer than any normal Wedding Video, I'm more concerned about cutting away stuff from the finished product that might be the only images of certain relatives that exist.

How do you make these decisions on what to cut out and what to remove?

I think being too close to the subject matter might be my problem here, I've already decided to ensure I keep the raw footage for posterity, in case someone, one day, can do a better job of it.

Any thoughts?

Danny O'Neill
October 6th, 2019, 12:51 PM
All depends on what goes with the story you are trying to tell.

But sounds like you just want a video that makes sure every one gets some screen time. So just chuck them all in there.

Don’t forget though. You have your photos as well to remember what people look like.

Just include shots of people who look happy, scrub through and find the smiles. Don’t put shots of crying kids just to tick a box or guests who look like they are not having a good time (they always exist).

Tony Neal
October 6th, 2019, 03:35 PM
Maybe you should do what I do with holiday footage..

You edit a long-form version to include everything that you want to see for yourself and close family.

You then scoot through the long version and trim out the stuff that others may find too tedious or not relevant.

I usually also do a 10 minute montage or highlights reel to show friends who don't want to sit through the full 2 hours!

You should also break it up into chapters such as Arrivals (before the ceremony), the Ceremony, the signing, the reception etc. etc.

Chris Harding
October 6th, 2019, 06:47 PM
This is not a commercial wedding shoot so edit decisions are really simple! Just do a long form version with everything in it ...if it runs for 3 hours so what? it's for your son so leave as much in as you can. However I would also do him a highlight video. Something that maybe is the length of two songs (so about 6 - 7 minutes) That will give him a video to share around with friends and family that won't bore them but still give a nice overview of the whole day!

Roger Gunkel
October 7th, 2019, 03:55 AM
This is not a commercial wedding shoot so edit decisions are really simple! Just do a long form version with everything in it ...if it runs for 3 hours so what? it's for your son so leave as much in as you can. However I would also do him a highlight video. Something that maybe is the length of two songs (so about 6 - 7 minutes) That will give him a video to share around with friends and family that won't bore them but still give a nice overview of the whole day!

I completely agree with Chris. it's part of your Son's family history and shows all the people that were important to his and his wife on the day, Edit the length of the shots to keep them interesting and flowing, so no shots of Aunty Mary talking to Uncle harry for 3 minutes, when five seconds will do.

Friends of their's won't be interested in the whole ceremony and unknown relatives, so a short form with the venue, dress, shoes, bridesmaids, groomsmen, parents etc, and some clips from the vows and signing. Then some memorable lines from the speeches, cake cutting and a bit of dancing will probably be all that casual viewers will watch. It's a trailer of the full length feature.

Roger

Danny O'Neill
October 7th, 2019, 05:33 AM
A good thing to do is make sure a shot you show gets straight to the point. So if somoene smiles, cut straight to the smile.

I edited down 15 years of home video footage into 10 minutes a while back. My dad used to film us in the pool for 20 minutes at a time. Most of it is waiting for that moment where we wave to the camera or jump in the pool. If you watch it back and are thinking to yourself "Wait for it... wait for it.... there you go!". Go straigh to the "there you go" shot.

Chris Harding
October 7th, 2019, 08:03 AM
Thanks Roger!

Of course unless previously briefed you would have cut a lot of footage out if it was a paid wedding where you didn't know all the people ...a family wedding where you are "Uncle Joe, the videographer" is actually a lot more work than if it was for a couple who simply hired you. Being your son, if he is around probably check with him about what to leave in and what to leave out ... The usual watch ratio is just once for the long version (then it's tossed in the cupboard) compared to a 5 minute highlight which is often hosted online and watched many times!!

Wayne Faulkner
October 7th, 2019, 04:38 PM
Thanks for all this advice, I'm going to give it a go on the new machine when its built, and will do the long version first, and then the highlights.

I've started doing Promo Videos for Sports, and usually aim for around the four minute mark, so the audience isn't bored, but the 7 minute idea sounds a good one too.

There was an Interpreter at the Wedding, so the plan is also to add Subtitles, but probably I'll restrict this to the 7 minutes as I'll have to write these.

Its recorded in four formats, 3x 1080P 50fps, 1080P 25fps, HDV, and HD Mobile Phone.

You've all been extremely helpful, but rest assured, I won't become a competitor for Wedding Videography, I'll do my son's weddings, and possibly transfer and edit or colour correct weddings on 8mm/Super8 or Standard Definition VHS, etc, but that's about it.

Much appreciated.