View Full Version : Is there a Thread/Forum for Sony FDR-AX53 ?

Dave Brocklebank
November 11th, 2019, 10:09 AM
For years I used the excellent thread for "The Panasonic TM900 Users Thread" and wonder is there any central Tread of Forum for Sony FDR-AX53 ?

Thanks in advance,
Dave

Chris Hurd
November 11th, 2019, 11:24 AM
The forum for that camera would be here:

https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/

We have several discussions about it:

https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/534482-fdr-ax53.html

https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/532703-fdr-ax53-fw1-02-out.html

https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/532022-sony-fdr-ax53-bug-list.html

https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/532132-fdr-ax53-settings.html

...to name a few. Hope this helps,

Dave Brocklebank
November 11th, 2019, 12:34 PM
Hi Chris,
Thank you for the pointer to the few short threads on the AX53. Interesting reading... but very short.

I thought by now there must be quite a very large user base using this Camcorder... so likely to be some Forum dedicated to discussions on it.

Does anybody know of a dedicated Forum to this camera or some central Thread that would have a lot of info/discussions?

Thanks in advance,
Dave

John Nantz
November 11th, 2019, 11:58 PM
Hi Dave,
don't be put off by not having a single major thread about the AX53. As Chris mentioned, "..to name a few. Hope this helps,", one can use the search function to look for more threads.

The good part about having shorter threads is they are normally on a more singular aspect and don't wonder all over the place.

As for myself, the AX53 is my most used cam. Also have the X3000 and the AX700 and the three of them work together to cover a wide range os shooting needs. The AX53 is a really good all-around cam.

Dave Brocklebank
November 12th, 2019, 02:42 AM
Hi Chris and John,
Firstly thanks John for gently pointing out that Chris's first link is to a Forum that although is not specifically for the AX53... it still has many threads related to the AX53.

And Thanks Chris... I did not realize that at first... and thought you were pointing out the main threads... instead of just listing a few examples.

I searched your first link to the Forum using the search "AX53" and sure enough there are many threads.

Am I doing the right thing of searching that forum for "AX53" or is there a better way?

I will work my way through them to try to get up to speed with this new (for me) camcorder.

I read a couple of things that seem a bit disappointing about the AX53, so I will investigate these to see whether they are true. I am guessing they may be measures to prevent over-heating.

E.g.
In 4K mode the Stabilization does not work. I am hoping that some form of stabilization works in 4K mode?
In 4K mode, one can't send the image to an external monitor using HDMI

This dvinfo Forum was so much help to me using the TM900 that I am sure I will pick up many tips on the AX53 here too.

Quick question;
Would it not make sense to have a sub-category within the Forum dedicated just to the AX53? And similarly sub-categories for some of the other well used Camcorders?

Best Wishes,
Dave

John Nantz
November 12th, 2019, 11:24 PM
Dave - Personally, I would like to see more activity about the AX53. While it has been out for a while there are still a lot of areas that can be discussed. There is a lot of creative shots that can be done with it and it has been really handy when doing Multicam and the AX700 is sitting on a tripod or even Multicam with the X3000 when the weather or conditions didn't cooperate. There is a time and a place for all these cams.

As a thought, one can take on starting a thread that could become a good go-to thread, or, take the easy road and tack onto existing threads. Explore existing long-life threads about a certain cam and see what made it that way. A close relative to the AX53 is the AX100 and that has been a very popular cam; had one and maybe I should have kept it but I was told I've got too much stuff. :-(

I think all the AX53 owners would like to see more posting activity.

David Rix
May 30th, 2020, 04:46 PM
Just saw this thread altho old so throw my 2c in..

I have a FDR-AX53 and have since they first came out.

We mainly shoot live music shows (Fifties RnR) with it sometimes 4K but mainly HD.

We have shot Terabytes of shows with some of it being broadcasted on commercial TV as good as anything else they show.

I cannot give any real negatives sorry, but I'm sure many pro's can.

I'm happy with mine.

Shahryar Rizvi
March 22nd, 2022, 09:42 PM
Just saw this thread altho old so throw my 2c in..

I have a FDR-AX53 and have since they first came out.

We mainly shoot live music shows (Fifties RnR) with it sometimes 4K but mainly HD.

We have shot Terabytes of shows with some of it being broadcasted on commercial TV as good as anything else they show.

I cannot give any real negatives sorry, but I'm sure many pro's can.

I'm happy with mine.

This is great to see. I just ordered my AX53 and it arrives in a few days. I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do with it.