View Full Version : Z90 Firmware 2.0

Bill Ackerman
December 26th, 2019, 01:55 PM
Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere:

https://pro.sony/en_ER/product-resources/software-firmware/firmware-pxw-z90-v2-00

Not sure I fully understand the new streaming features. Has anyone tried it?

Donald McPherson
December 26th, 2019, 02:21 PM
Doesn't give me much faith.

"IMPORTANT: Installation of firmware is at owner’s risk"

Although I am a cluts and upgraded my X70 without a problem.

Jase Tanner
December 26th, 2019, 02:44 PM
Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere:

https://pro.sony/en_ER/product-resources/software-firmware/firmware-pxw-z90-v2-00

Not sure I fully understand the new streaming features. Has anyone tried it?

I plan to do this before the new year. I'll report back once I have. If you go for it before me Bill, I'd appreciate you doing the same and of course anyone else who does.

Bill Ackerman
December 26th, 2019, 05:01 PM
Hope to try it out tomorrow. Here is what looks to be helpful info:

Sony Z90/NX80 Firmware Update - YouTube

Jase Tanner
December 26th, 2019, 05:59 PM
Thanks for that. Makes it all look pretty straightforward. I'll look forward to hearing how it went.

Bill Ackerman
December 26th, 2019, 06:12 PM
So the update went fine. REMEMBER: Save your Camera Profile on to one of the SD cards before the update.

So the YouTube LiveStream worked fine - just like in the video above (I would not have figured it out without that video). But it leaves me scratching my head - 1280 x 720 is the highest resolution? I guess I can see how I might use this to LiveStream from the field, assuming I have acceptable WiFi connection. In the studio, I would probably use my new little BlackMagic ATEM Mini and output HDMI out from the Z90. Gotta think more about how I could make use of this. Am I missing something?

Donald McPherson
December 27th, 2019, 03:47 AM
That looks good. I wonder if you can set it up using your phone. I don't see why not. I have a way to do it with the x70 but have problems with audio lag. https://youtu.be/Im3oNDsy9yg

Simon Denny
December 27th, 2019, 10:49 PM
I wish Sony would include a level in one of these updates, this feature would be a great asset for me. I did email them some time ago with no response.

Bill Ackerman
December 31st, 2019, 12:51 AM
I've played around several times with this new live streaming capability. Seems like a non-starter. Not sure if it is aimed at ENG or the social media crowd, but it seems less than viable for either. Even with a reusable RTMP key, setting up a stream requires too many steps in advance through a browser.

Ideally, you're walking down the street and you see Elvis landing in a UFO, you just press a few buttons on your camera, and you're live streaming. Or you record some video, select it, and it is immediately streaming or just uploaded to your channel. Not sure what Sony was thinking. Maybe I've got this all wrong and Sony will offer additional information that shows this really is useful for something. In the meantime, color me confused.

Jase Tanner
December 31st, 2019, 10:07 AM
I haven’t tried it yet and at this pont it’ll be at at least a week before I do. Sony’s OS requirements meant I had to upgrade mine which ended up proving to be more difficult than it should have been.

Streaming Elvis as he returns would be great but that aside how well did it seem to work? The spontaneous stream isn’t normally would I’d do but what might you have used that allows that?

In the past I've used a Black Magic Ultra Studio with OBS but after a few times lost its audio capabiilties. (Cables all good, I suspect its a plugin conflict of some sort which if it is I haven’t been able to find yet. Perhaps the new OS solved that but I haven’t checked yet) In desperation I got an Elgato HD 60S which is okay but I was hoping the Sony would be the answer.