View Full Version : Film at 11 (long post)

Pages : [1] 2

December 8th, 2002, 07:09 PM
Last spring I had a situation pop up that has since generated about $8,000.00 in income I wouldn’t have had otherwise. I’m thinking there’s probably a few of you folks who might like to take advantage of it, too.

I happened to be in the right place at the right time -- and I had a Canon XL-1s, along with some print media journalism experience – when the fellow who was traveling around the country planting pipe bombs in mail boxes came through our town. Ours was the last town in which he planted one of his devices before he was caught.

When all the commotion was going on I taped much of it, thinking I’d give the tape to the sheriff in case he needed it for training. I do that for the fire department, too, sometimes. Anyway, while I’m taping the ATF folks as they disabled the device, the sheriff taps me on the shoulder and hands me his cell phone: “A woman from CNN wants to talk to you,” he said.

She said she’d like to buy my footage. A satellite truck was on its way from Denver (three hours away). I could dump the footage to them when they got here. Long story short: What you all saw on CNN, FOX, MSNBC and the others was stuff I shot (they all share footage). By the time the smoke and dust had cleared, I picked up an extra $1,200.00 for an afternoon’s work

The next month the whole state of Colorado caught fire. By the time the last of the embers had been extinguished, I had another $3,500.00 to spend.

Since then I’ve done numerous stories for two of the Denver stations, and Fox has called me three times to do assignments for programs they run.

The point is this: You can do it, too.

When I first met with the folks from CNN’s satellite truck I thought for sure they were going to make fun of my “toy” camera. They didn’t. They ooooh’d and aaaahhh’d, and said CNN had started buying them and they couldn’t wait to get theirs. Fancy that.

So here are a few tips on how to get your footage of breaking news on the air.

1.“If it bleeds, it leads.” That’s how you know you’ve got a hot story. Shots of a burglary investigation at Joe’s Hardware probably aren’t going to get you a cent. But footage of rescuers cutting 8 skiers from a medical school in Thailand out of a van that went over a 100’ embankment will. It’s sad, but true.

2. Have the right gear: It doesn’t matter if you dump your footage to a satellite van or take it to the local affiliate… you need a way to get the stuff out of your camera and into the TV editing gear. Many of the TV guys are set up to take an RCA lead out of your camera, but some aren’t. Buy a couple RCA to BNC connectors at Radio Shack. I’d get male and female. They’re only a couple bucks each.

3.Get good audio: Don’t depend on the onboard mic. Invest in a good remote mic and/or a wireless mic.

4.Know and tape the who, what, where, when, why and how of a story. Let the editor sort out what’s useable and what’s not; just make sure you’ve got it.

5.Shoot steady: Limit the number of pushes, pulls, tilts and pans you use. If you watch a news story, you’ll notice it looks almost as if they’re cutting from one still (static) shot to the next.

6.Shoot sexy: If you can get an interview next to the flashing lights on a fire engine, it’s much more attractive than some talking head at the side of the road. If an upshot or a low angle shot helps tell the story more effectively, shoot it that way.

7.Get tape releases: Because it’s news you don’t have to worry about a release as much as you do for a feature or a documentary. The editor will K/O any footage you get that’s legally troublesome. But when you interview someone, have them say and spell their name at the beginning. That’s a legitimate release in the news game, and it helps the writer and graphics people when they put the story together.

8.Body shots are tacky: And they piss people off. It’s okay, even dramatic, to get a bunch of rescuers hovering around an injured person, but keep the injured party’s face out of it. Think about how you’d feel if it were your loved one on the ground.

9. If you shoot something they don't buy from you, hang on to it for awhile. I thought it would be cool to get an interview with a firefighting helicopter crew. Nobody used it. But a week after that same chopper crashed while fighting a fire. Suddenly, everyone wanted my interview footage.

10. I have a TFT monitor I bought at Radio Shack for $179.00. I affixed it to an old still camera shoe so I could mount it on my XL-1s. Now, if one of the pretty faces (on-scene journalist) wants to see him/herself while I'm taping a news piece, I just turn the monitor around so they can.

Now, once you’ve got that Pulitzer Prize-winning footage, you need to get it to market. If it’s a story without national significance, you can still sell it locally or regionally. Call the TV station in your market, ask for the assignment desk, then tell them what you’ve got. But if it is nationally significant, go to the national market first because they’ll pay you more than the local station will. They’ll also tell you up front what the story is worth to them (but expect to wait about a month for the check to come). Have a W-9 tax form filled out, scanned in and ready to fax at all times. The telephone number for CNN’s assignment desk is (404) 827-2658. I keep their number and several local ones in my camera bag. By the way, if you shoot something for CNN, Fox, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, NBC or any of the others, they’ll most likely direct you to their local affiliate to dump the footage to be uplinked to them by satellite.

So go on out there and get ‘em, Newshounds.

PS: Shhhh.... don't tell the people who own Sony's about this.

Ken Tanaka
December 8th, 2002, 08:42 PM
Charles,
That's a good story and some excellent tips for folks interested in getting into on-the-scene freelance news footage. I found it particularly interesting that the CNN folks found your XL1s interesting and didn't pooh-pooh it.

I'm temporarily "sticking" this thread in place so that it doesn't roll-away before many other folks have a chance to read it.

Thanks very much for taking the time to share this with us all!

-Ken-

Dylan Couper
December 9th, 2002, 12:00 AM
Charles, awsome post!
That's the type of thing I wish magazines would publish more of.

December 9th, 2002, 12:54 AM
Well, I'm glad you like it and I was happy to share it.

Perhaps there could be a new category just for ENG (electronic news gathering) for freelancers.

Paul Sedillo
December 9th, 2002, 06:58 AM
Charles,

That was a fantastic post! Thank you for taking the time to write this very informative post.

I hope we get a chance to get together when I am in Denver for the Holidays.

Paul

Jeff Donald
December 9th, 2002, 07:45 AM
Very informative, thanks for all your efforts. I know of several others with similar interests on the boards here. If there is enough interest I'm sure a forum could be started. Any others?

Jeff

Rob Lohman
December 9th, 2002, 08:47 AM
Great post! Thanks

December 9th, 2002, 10:39 AM
You know, I think this has given me the Mother of all Ideas.

I did some searching on the Net and I have not been able to find an association of freelance (electronic/digital) photojournalists. We have the makings of forming one right here.

But I'm not just talking about one of those associations that's a Good Ol' Boys Club and nothing more. I'm talking about pooling our skills and offering them to the major media. We create a list of who is available, where they are, what equipment they have, etc. Then we make that list available to assignment editors with all the major TV stations and networks. Maybe we could even have a designated webpage, updated several times a day, with mini-features available to the media. This is exactly how AP, Reuters, etc. got started.

I think it would work. An editor needs a sidebar story in The Well Went Dry, Kansas. But the closest photojournalist is at a TV station in Dodge City, and he's out getting his dog groomed that day. The editor goes to the Web site, finds one of our folks in the next town to The Well Went Dry.

Or, like happened to me last month, a Fox producer is going nuts because they're taping an episode of the the Rob Nelson Show in L.A. and they need an interview segment in Poncha Springs, Colorado. She calls the closest Fox affiliate in Colorado Springs. They don't have an extra videographer that day. Try Denver. Denver hates the Rob Nelson Show so they make an excuse... but they give the producer my name and number. I go out and shoot it (2 hours, $600 bucks). The producer is going to name her first born after me because now she gets to keep her job.

If we had an organization and a Web site, she could have gone there in the first place. We list the members by region, and by zip code. Editors and producers looking for a shooter just type in the zip code of where the story is, then the closest member's name and phone number pops up. Bingo... assignment!

Another scenario: One of us comes across a really neat story... like one I sold to CNN. A little girl in Leadville, Colorado feels bad for the children of the fallen firefighters in NYC. She goes on a fundraising campaign. The little girl raises $48,000.00. True story. Anyway... one of us shoots a story like this on spec, then posts its avaiability on the site. A bored editor looking for a human interest story spots it and picks it up.

Here's where it gets a little tricky. We'd need to figure out how to support the Web site and organization. Dues? A percentage of sales? Perhaps all billing should go through the organization, with the organization paying the member. That would mean someone would have to be pretty much full time overseeing this. I herein admit I haven't the skills. But I'll be there's someone here who does.

Why not do it through DV Community? Maybe it's time Chris Hurd earned a few bucks for making this site available to us. Would it be hard to put up a site like that through DV Community and not have every editor and producer in the world poking around here in this portion of the site?

Some of us have more skills than others in certain areas. My technical (shooting) skills, for example, are just beginning to blossom, and my editing skills are nearly non-existent. But I have considerable experience in journalism. Others may have great technical skills, but lack in story gathering instinct. So we work with each other, have cyber meetings, etc.

What do you think? Should I start designing our press passes for the DVNews Syndicate?

Charles Newcomb
(719) 539-1706

Dylan Couper
December 9th, 2002, 03:05 PM
That's an idea I've thought about as well. I was surprised that no one was doing it already. I'm in for getting it running. It would take a lot of co-ordination and probably would be a full time job for someone.

Mike Avery
December 9th, 2002, 03:47 PM
Shooting for news is much different than many other types of video work.

As a guy who shot news for many years, I think much could be learned from such a forum.

Mike Avery

Ken Tanaka
December 9th, 2002, 08:23 PM
...a "freelance" shooter? If so, be sure you buy a car with a big, comfortable trunk.

http://www.nydailynews.com/12-08-2002/news/crime_file/story/41633p-39283c.html

Robert Knecht Schmidt
December 9th, 2002, 09:12 PM
And a helmet.

Jeff Donald
December 9th, 2002, 09:22 PM
I'll say this, having been a news photographer, he was driving a 2002 Mercedes Benz? I don't know a single freelancer that drives a brand new Mercedes. None, zero. Sounds to me like he freelanced something else, other than his photography.

Jeff

Paul Sedillo
December 9th, 2002, 09:29 PM
I was kind of thinking the samething as I read the article. What was it they mentioned, a puncture wound? Hmmm...

Ken Tanaka
December 9th, 2002, 09:31 PM
Perhaps he had unique methods for ensuring that he was the first shooter on the scene of certain...events.

December 9th, 2002, 11:10 PM
"His body was found by his mother, whom police identified as Amanda Clarke. Police could not say what led the woman, who neighbors said taught English at a Queens high school before recently retiring, to make the discovery."

Well, lets see... he was dead in the trunk of the car for a week. Hmmm. Nope... I sure can't figure out what would have led her to look there.

Ken Tanaka
December 9th, 2002, 11:44 PM
OK guys, admit it. How many of you immediately wondered if his gear was still in the car?

Simon Plissi
December 10th, 2002, 02:55 AM
<<<-- Originally posted by Ken Tanaka : OK guys, admit it. How many of you immediately wondered if his gear was still in the car? -->>>

Err, not me.

Someone at college once shot something for the local news. He was in the right place at the right time to shot an incident, I forget what, on his Hi8, which he subsequently sold to the local station. Of course, the reason he was in the right place at the right time was because he was using a police scanner. I suppose one would also come in useful in what Charles talks about.

Last I heard he has his own rapid deployment digital satellite newsgathering service.

Jeff Donald
December 10th, 2002, 06:37 AM
Scanners are still tools of the trade for local news gathering. I used to have to wear one.

Jeff

Dale C. Elliott
December 15th, 2002, 09:14 AM
Hey Dylan, I would be interested in the freelance eng. I did a little eng when I worked for a station in Alberta. Also in the area I live now, I am about 45mins south of Ottawa, and half way between Cornwall and Kingston. Lots of things happen in this triangle, but sometimes is too far for the Ottawa stations to send a crew. I think only the New RO does this often.

Dale Elliott

Dylan Couper
December 15th, 2002, 10:38 AM
<<<-- Originally posted by Charles Newcomb : You know, I think this has given me the Mother of all Ideas.

I did some searching on the Net and I have not been able to find an association of freelance (electronic/digital) photojournalists. We have the makings of forming one right here.

But I'm not just talking about one of those associations that's a Good Ol' Boys Club and nothing more. I'm talking about pooling our skills and offering them to the major media. We create a list of who is available, where they are, what equipment they have, etc. Then we make that list available to assignment editors with all the major TV stations and networks. Maybe we could even have a designated webpage, updated several times a day, with mini-features available to the media. This is exactly how AP, Reuters, etc. got started.
->>>

So anyone have any thoughts on how to pursue this great idea further?

Michel Brewer
January 5th, 2003, 11:44 PM
Charles:

First congratulations, and Salidas a great place..I work for CNN and was actually there the day before passing through after staying at my parents mtn. cabin in Buena Vista (actually Nathrop above the hot springs).

One correction I would make for those eager to sell...CNN, MSNBC, FOX etc do not pool material, however Fox and ABC and either NBC or CBS do through NNS. Did you sell to the locals without putting a local market olny waiver. CNN if its freelance video generally has to pay for it besides the local who bought it.

If your in this spot again could I suggest sell it local first you have two markets for that story Colorado Springs and Denver. Second most stories wont but this and the firefighter story are the type you can charge a premium for....of course the high bidding local station can have it as a exclusive. But again NO NATIONAL Rights for use in their market only. The problem is once you sold it to CNN every station in colorado could pretty much get it for free...they (well most) are affiliates, and once CNN purchases they all can get it unless you have already sold it as a exclusive to Denver and Colorado Springs in which case the material would not be open to those stations.

Now for the Nationals, the locals you sold it to are getting calls from the CNN National Desk looking for video they would tell the desk that you have the material and furnish your number then CNN would call you to try and buy it from you. In addition Fox has a bureau in Denver and the NNS group has a office there to....both are buyers.

You might make even more selling it that way, but as for all the other advice you are right on the money....fact of the matter with shrinking news budgets and staff freelance video is a even hotter ticket, especially if you do it the way you described getting the elements and good sound. You also should look up crew connection on the web they are based out of Golden and they are a nationwide crew booking service. They take a cut of the booking but if they can get you some jobs, its worth it...the charles nelson thing worked because someone reccomended you. Crew Connection gets lots of calls every day maybe some for the Salida area once in a while.

And as for no one laughing, dv is a format everyone uses these days (everyone seems to like my xl1)...they only laugh if you dont shoot it well,(theres been times some stuff I shot got chuckles) and from the advice you gave you know your stuff. Im back in Buena Vista /Nathrop several time a year maybe next time I am out there we can grab coffee.

Michel

January 6th, 2003, 12:15 AM
Michel:

Actually, the first piece I sold went the way you said: I pitched it to a Colorado Springs station (CNN affiliate), who had the assignement desk at CNN call me. The Springs station hardly ever has any budget for freelance stuff, so if they do it this way I get paid fairly and they get to use the stuff. And you were right about the referral to the Rob Nelson show... apparently KKTV is an affiliate of Fox and CNN, and they turned Fox onto me.

I've really cut back on pitching to the Denver stations. Channel 7 and Channel 4 are both owned by an East Coast corporation and they take their dear sweet time paying, and they make you grovel. I hate that. CNN and Fox take about a month, and they treat you professionally. I'm kind of partial to CNN anyway, because a friend and colleague of mine, Larry Woods, was one of the first people on board at start-up. I knew Ed (not Ted) Turner, too.

The biggest problem, for me, is getting the footage somewhere to uplink it. I have to drive to Denver (3 hours) or the Springs (2 hours). It's rare to have the luxury of a satellite truck coming here. But if you can talk CNN into leaving one here, I'll make a place for it in my garage.

Re: coming back to BV/Nathrop for a visit -- coffee, hell; let's go wet a line!

Charles

http://www.centralcolorado.com/newcomb

Scott Silverman
January 6th, 2003, 12:53 AM
If Charles's idea ever gets put into action, I would love to take part in it. I have a GL2 not a XL1s but it sounds like a great idea and I would love to take part in it. My location probably isn't the best because this area is pretty populated with news-guys I believe, but it would be worth a try! And thanks for the great stories and advice Charles!

Didi Schoeman
January 10th, 2003, 01:43 PM
Hi Charles

I just read your posts, must say I like your idea!

The nice thing about it is that it could be a global network, I'm based in South Africa, and there are many others on this forum dotted accross this pretty little globe of ours.

Should give a new dimention to news and stories hitting the airwaves from all corners of the planet, maybe even give a voice to those in countries whos goverments like to sweep things under the carpet!

Didi Schoeman

Michel Brewer
January 18th, 2003, 09:49 PM
Charles:

Bait a line a offer to fish with a local, count me in.....yeah i'm one of those who has been fishing wrights and chalk creek to long. Seriously if your up for it so am I...

As for the idea of a nationwide group of freelancers, shooting stories or at least all the elements count me in...I think it would work in a world of shrinking news budgets if you could bring it to the attn: of the nat desks of networks and shows I think it would work, good for everyone.

Michel

February 1st, 2003, 09:11 PM
FYI: I shot a mini-feature for CNN Thursday... about an 82-year-old man who downhill races on skis. He had to quit for a year a few years ago... broke his hip Rollerblading in the Wal-Mart parking lot.

Anyway, it was supposed to air on CNN's "American Stories" today (Saturday), but got pre-empted by all the Space Shuttle news. Look for it to run as soon as things calm down, CNN says.

Rhett Allen
February 1st, 2003, 11:37 PM
I think it would be a good idea, there are a ton of people out there with cameras these days. The Apartments that were on the news today from the Space Shuttle ordeal are very close to me, my dad actually called me to tell me what happened, (we heard the noise) he actually lives a couple of blocks from it but the area was crawling with people with video cameras. Plano has a lot of people with disposable income to buy very nice toys so the competetion for the news footage there would be very stiff.
Well anyway, I ended up not shooting anything because I am actually in the middle of a project right now that I couldn't get away from.

It's a great idea though.

Don Parrish
February 4th, 2003, 05:23 PM
Quality video and audio is a must. I hate to be the one to say it but somehow members must be trained or proven, If an upstart got a bad name in the news industry it would be hard to overcome. If a network calls on someone and gets a bumb deal, or the video is often poor, it will fail. All camera people are expected to be capable of shooting good stuff. The one thing not mentioned here is, TRIPOD TRIPOD TRIPOD, unless it is intense moving action, it will be expected to be smooth.

Scott Silverman
February 4th, 2003, 06:27 PM
I agree, but it is also better to have some maybe-not-so-expert video than no video at all. Like with the recent shuttle event last weekend. They showed shaky consumer Hi-8 video on most of the news stations. Training would be extremely hard if not impossible. However, I think this forum provides a ton of training and like I said, I think its better to have video and get the experience that to get nothing at all. But yes you are right, if this ever happens we should strive for the best quality video possible.

Don Parrish
February 4th, 2003, 08:00 PM
You are correct, networks believe something is better than nothing on events that are jawdropping. But I believe a network of on-call videographers would need more common assignments. If someone gets something spectacular they can always call the studios themselves. To make a service of on-call videographers worth managing would require them to have more frequent assignments. A website with a list of geographical listings would handle the disaster type events and give individuals some recognition. Remember that to shoot news and be invited into media only locations requires press passes. Press pass issuance usually requires a business license. Everyone needs some training to learn what not to do at a crime scene and what to do for the story. At the scene one has to tip-toe lightly with johnny law, someone going in at full steam is going to be removed from the area. Law enforcement will not talk to someone unprofessional, passes or not. Training and experience isn't neccessary to get that sudden huge event, but to get law enforcement to cooperate with you is another story. Last but not least, to report a story one has to tell the truth to the assignment editor and report the story without bias.

Don Parrish
February 6th, 2003, 02:30 PM
After thinking about all this, It is a great idea and I apologize if I seemed negative. I believe a useful tool to people who want to shoot for the media would be to have a website where we could be geographically located, have information about us, and have a space for a single photo or small AVI so that we could post our stories. If a network or studio is slow and needs news (and this happens) they would have a resource for it. By the time they get used to looking at posted available stories, when something big happened, the website would be instantly looked at. After a while, a national group that big (with some quality) would be scrolling across assignment editors desks 24-7. Not only news, but occaisionally the Early Show or the Today show needs video. A producer in New York may need footage of a new facility in the Smokies etc. The one thing I wish I could sell were human interest stories. I know a man that flies a 16ft walmart jon boat, yes it has wings and an engine. But for most local studios, if they know it's going to happen, or they won't miss anything by waiting, they send their own crews. Rather than managing people, I believe it would be easier to manage information, but it will have the same basic outcome. And the future for the website would not stop, documentaries, corporate videos, still photo's, crew avalability. Last but not least, who has the higher numbers, pro news crews and vans, or stringers? A national/world camera network springing up overnight could have a massive effect on the industry.

February 6th, 2003, 03:04 PM
The biggest problem I see is one discussed earlier... how to get footage on the Net without serious resolution loss. It takes less time for me to drive to Denver and back (three hours each way)than it would for me to try to upload a decent video file. Most of us in the boonies only have dial-up service.

Don Parrish
February 6th, 2003, 07:57 PM
Footage would have to be transfred by a local station, the reason for a single still or very very short avi (maybe quicktime would be smaller/better) would be as a lead into the story.

Scott Silverman
February 6th, 2003, 08:31 PM
How fast would it need to reach the station? We could overnight or 12-hour it (mail) to a news station on DVD or MiniDV. But time is an issue and also amount of money to ship. They would probably need it right away so that wouldn't work.

February 6th, 2003, 10:16 PM
You suggestion is a good one for mini-features, Scott. But hard news has to be new, or it's just history.

Don Parrish
February 7th, 2003, 09:06 AM
For you Charles, This is where technology will have to come in. One company (don't remember name but ticker is DTMG) has found a way to increase internet speed 7x, will implement in the near future. Also, what about compression, I have zero knowledge about compression but I'm sure someone here does.

Sandy Kaye
February 10th, 2003, 12:50 AM
In '99 I had this utopian idea that the internet was the "great equalizer." Able to create a world information network that would bypass the corp. run news organizations that control the information that gets disseminated to the public.

My idea - in a sentence- was to 'arm' the world with cams and set up a central loc. on the web to air the footage. Especially during big 'events.'

Seems like the same idea here - a coalition of news gatherers.

In '99 I got partners and bought gear and launced OnlineVoice.com. The partners quashed the original idea and refocused it to entertainment. We almost got the big funding bucks when DEN crashed the online entertainment gig and POP folded.

I kept the gear, the contacts, research, and the experience - including web streaming.

This may be a fit for what you guys are talking about.
I've got the sight- check it out to see my bio. I definitely can't do it alone so it'll take a few of us with some biz acumen.
I'm in LA, Ca.

<<Should give a new dimention to news and stories hitting the airwaves from all corners of the planet, maybe even give a voice to those in countries whos goverments like to sweep things under the carpet! Didi Schoeman>> difficult, but not impossible.

Sandy Kaye
February 10th, 2003, 12:55 AM
BTW- I have answers and contacts for all of the tech issues you've all brought up.

None of them are insurmountable.

Scott Silverman
February 10th, 2003, 01:18 AM
Sandy,
What is your solution for getting footage to the station without a 3-5 hour drive? I would love to know!

Thanks.

Sandy Kaye
February 10th, 2003, 01:44 AM
Scott-
The variables determine the solution, 'course.

One important thing I learned is how not to talk too much. ie: Information and ideas are an asset.

I love to talk about this stuff, and don't want to seem like an ass. sorry.

BTW- I do want to make sure that you all know about the Independent Media Org. (indymedia.org) Didn't like them much myself, but it may be a ready made fit to what you're looking for. I thought it was my OnlineVoice type idea, but I didn't like what I saw inside. Kind of well... sensationalist and un-professional and a bit BIASED. But maybe that was just my take.

Cameraplanet.com no opinion here 'cept that my heart sank when I saw them at a trade show when we were formulating OnlineVoice. One of the reasons ONLV (onlinevoice) switched to entertainment format.

**SCOTT - check yr email

Michael Dalton
March 17th, 2003, 10:32 AM
Good tips,

I was always amazing by the 9/11 doc. It's a case of being in the right or more like the wrong place. But in the end they sold there footage for a lot of money. I give that guy credit for not stopping to role film. Goes to show you bring all you're batteries and a few extra tapes.

When on the road I always have my camera out and at the ready. I'm in Mexico for a second shot right now, but last time I was here I left a day before a big earthquake. At the time of day I would have been able to turn my camera and start shooting before it hit 7.6 magantude.

Not that I want to be in a big earthquake, but if it happens, I would like to have my camera.

Michael

Josh John
March 20th, 2003, 02:33 AM
Hi,

My name, is josh. im new to the sight, newly registerd. this is my 1st post. i have bin looking at the sight for a bit now, it helped me to chose my XL1-S. I love it so. i have 5 years EX as a camera man, BETA cam and all that.my stuff was on an NBC affiliate , it was the best time I ever had working. you guys know what I mean. standing in the hot sun with a scratchy throat giving you the need to scream bloody murder ,

interviewing the subject and shooting them at the same
time because the production company thought the story
was so small it did not need a field producer. you
know , how the interview's answer go's on and on and
on. who cares what you think just finish your answer
so I can breath.

I think the longest answer I ever had was like
35 45 min's long, and with just a few deep breath's.
god I miss it! well , now I am 28 and disabled, with saver
arthritis thanks to genetics. so no more heavy old
BETA cams for me, but I did love the way it felt on my
shoulder. now I got my canon, so look out. I also want to
make some films.

I think this idea is great a freelance camera operators network, I
would pay dues no problem. I just want to work. for the record I live near San Francisco . :o)

sorry for the long post. any thing I can do to help I
will just e-mail me, joshuajohn@sbcglobal.net . also
on another note, I just signed up for the free
seminar on D.V light , shot, edit, in San Francisco on
4- 2-03. if any 1 is going to be there tell me so we can get together.

Josh John
March 20th, 2003, 02:38 AM
Hi,

My name, is josh. im new to the sight, newly registerd. this is my 1st post. i have bin looking at the sight for a bit now, it helped me to chose my XL1-S. I love it so. i have 5 years EX as a camera man, BETA cam and all that.my stuff was on an NBC affiliate top 5 mark , it was the best time I ever had working. you guys know what I mean. standing in the hot sun with a scratchy throat giving you the need to scream bloody murder ,

interviewing the subject and shooting them at the same
time because the production company thought the story
was so small it did not need a field producer. you
know , how the interview's answer go's on and on and
on. who cares what you think just finish your answer
so I can breath.

I think the longest answer I ever had was like
35 45 min's long, and with just a few deep breath's.
god I miss it! well , now I am 28 and disabled, with saver
arthritis thanks to genetics. so no more heavy old
BETA cams for me, but I did love the way it felt on my
shoulder. now I got my canon, so look out. I also want to
make some films.

I think this idea is great a freelance camera operators network, I
would pay dues no problem. I just want to work. for the record I live near San Francisco . :o)

sorry for the long post. any thing I can do to help I
will just e-mail me, joshuajohn@sbcglobal.net . also
on another note, I just signed up for the free
seminar on D.V light , shot, edit, in San Francisco on
4- 2-03. if any 1 is going to be there tell me so we can get together.

Kevin Scarlett
March 29th, 2003, 01:02 AM
I have a GL-1. Do you think that is good enough? Also, is this the same thing as "stringing"?

March 29th, 2003, 07:05 AM
A GL1 would be fine if used properly. Don't shoot on Auto. Don't use the on-board mic for interviews, although it should be okay for ambient sound.

Don Parrish
March 29th, 2003, 07:28 AM
Unless your in a very good situation, stringing may only provide you with occasional income. Most stringers shoot part time as extra income. Shooting as a news stringer has it's very slow times such as now that world news of the war is on. National events such as the space shuttle and wars can overpower local news for weeks. I also find that news budgets are shrinking.

Kevin Scarlett
March 29th, 2003, 07:59 AM
Thanks, so what is the difference between stringing and what Charles Newcomb described in the original post? Or are they the same?

Don Parrish
March 29th, 2003, 09:35 AM
It is the same, a news stringer is just an independent videographer, freelance. I wouldn't consider it professional journalism because most of the time you have no input into the story. The studio may ask you questions about what happened once they get to know you but they are liable for what they broadcast. What they want from most stringers is the video you have shot and what interviews you have filmed with someone of authority. Proof positive that what you gave them is the truth, which has to be your #1 priority. Don't ever pump up a story to sell it, and call them back if what was first thought of as big news turns out not to be. The business requires some thinking, rules for who gets a story, how many stations you will sell the footage to, is it exclusive to the studio that calls and gives you the heads up that a story is in your area. You should be a business, because that is what it takes to get press passes. A lot of work and dedication goes into finding stories. If I had 5 dollars an hour for every hour I spent in the books, charging batteries, listening to scanners and driving around, I would be happy. The big problem occurs when you figure out that you have spent spent 5 hours filming, delivering, and dubbing a story using 5000 dollars worth of gear and 100 miles on your vehicle to make less than 100 dollars. Money can be made in any business, some are harder than others.

March 29th, 2003, 10:31 PM
Less than $100? That sucks. I usually make $150-$450 per story, depending on who picks it up.

I just did one this morning for Channel 11 in Colorado Springs... a Support The Troops rally in Alamosa, Co. It'll be on their sister station, Channel 4 in Denver, and probably Fox or CNN since they're affilliates.

Fox called me do do a segment for a daytime show they have... the Rob Nelson Show. Two hours work, $650 bucks.

But running the tape to Colorado Springs or Denver is still a hassle.