View Full Version : VEGAS Pro 18 is here!

Edward Troxel
August 5th, 2020, 08:45 AM
https://www.vegascreativesoftware.com/us/vegas-pro/new-features/#productMenu

See all the new features in the newest version of VEGAS Pro!

Gary Bohlk
August 5th, 2020, 10:28 AM
Just curious. I have upgraded every other release since Vegas 6. I think it was Vegas 14 & 16 the Blu-Ray burning from the timeline didn't work and was never fixed. Have they fixed this for Vegas 18? I have DVD Architect so I can still make Blu-Rays discs but it was much simpler and faster to just burn from the timeline. Probably going to drive my decision as to whether to upgrade or not.

Edward Troxel
August 7th, 2020, 02:54 PM
Gary, I don't burn Blu-Rays at this time so I really can't answer that question. I guess you could install the trial and test it.

Renton Maclachlan
September 1st, 2020, 10:00 PM
I've upgraded to v18 through v17.

17 starts no problem but 18 won't start. I just get a message 'Vegas Pro has stopped working', after the very first load up screen is displayed. This failure to start is both from a shortcut on the desktop and the application file in the vegas folder.

Hmmm

Edward Troxel
September 2nd, 2020, 10:19 AM
You might try starting it while holding down CTRL-SHIFT and make sure everything is reset and the cache is cleared.

Depending on your video card, you might need to update your video driver.

Does the splash screen appear? If yes, what does it say it's doing?

Renton Maclachlan
September 4th, 2020, 08:46 PM
Hi Edward
What does it mean that 'everything is reset and cache cleared'? Till now I've been using v16 and do not know if I am just using default setting or not. Do the v16 settings and cache carry over to v18?

What is the 'splash screen'? Is it the very first screen that appears which shows on a bar the loading of various things? If so, it opens and says 'Creating file I/O manager...' then the box comes up saying it can't open...send report etc...

Adam Stanislav
September 5th, 2020, 10:36 AM
What is the 'splash screen'? Is it the very first screen that appears which shows on a bar the loading of various things? If so, it opens and says 'Creating file I/O manager...' then the box comes up saying it can't open...send report etc...

Yes, that is the splash screen. I think you left out the most important part of what it says. You said it can’t open... What exactly is it that it can’t open?

Edward Troxel
September 8th, 2020, 07:12 AM
I mean that all settings are reset back to factory defaults and all cached information will be cleared (which can be very important) if you also check that box. So, for example, if you have gone into Options - Preferences and changed some settings, those would be changed back to the default values. If you've saved changes under File - Properties, those would reset to the default values.

Renton Maclachlan
September 10th, 2020, 04:23 AM
Yes, that is the splash screen. I think you left out the most important part of what it says. You said it can’t open... What exactly is it that it can’t open?
It doesn't tell me...just ...'VEGAS Pro has stopped working.' It's a problem report window...
Re clearing the cache, I don't recall ever changing defaults so I presume that means none of my projects will be affected if the cache is cleared.

Edward Troxel
September 12th, 2020, 09:41 AM
No projects will be affected by clearing the cache.

On the splash screen, on the lower left-hand side it says what it is doing. What is the last thing it says?

On the "Problem Report" screen, click on "Show Details". What are the details?

Renton Maclachlan
September 12th, 2020, 05:52 PM
Screen shot attached...

Edward Troxel
September 14th, 2020, 09:22 AM
Did you try clearing the cache? Hold down CTRL-SHIFT and start Vegas while continuing to hold down those two keys. Let them go when the reset window with the clear cache checkbox appears on the screen. Check the box and then tell it to continue.

Renton Maclachlan
September 22nd, 2020, 10:29 PM
Thanks Edward. Tried that. Makes no difference. Still stops at the same place... hmmm

Sorry for the delay in responding. Haven't been starting this computer so often recently...

Renton

Adam Stanislav
September 23rd, 2020, 07:31 AM
An exception in Vegas typically happens within a third party plugin. Since nothing else you tried worked, I would try moving all third party plugins to some unrelated directory (preferably on a different disk) and then try if you can go through the boot process (of Vegas, not a reboot of the computer). If so, I would try to figure out which third party plugin is crashing (Vegas loads every third party plugin during the boot process, even ones you have never used) by moving one plugin at a time back to the original directory and booting Vegas.

If Vegas boots with some of the third party plugins but crashes with one or more of them, the plugin it crashes with is causing the problem.

Renton Maclachlan
September 23rd, 2020, 03:04 PM
There has never been an issue with any other version of Vegas going right back to v6... Seems odd...

Ron Coleman
October 19th, 2020, 01:54 PM
I'm still on version 14, but I've been getting the popup notification that special upgrade pricing is available until October 27. If I upgrade, will my current projects started with version 14 work with the new version or should I only use it for new projects?

Rainer Listing
October 19th, 2020, 03:12 PM
Don't worry about the deadline for upgrading, as soon as that offer expires another one comes along. Later versions of Vegas will happily open earlier versions and no problem having two versions on your computer and even running at the same time.

Edward Troxel
October 23rd, 2020, 09:48 AM
Newer versions of Vegas will open projects from older versions of Vegas. Older versions of Vegas will not open projects from newer versions of Vegas. So, yes, you can open a project from version 14 in version 18 of Vegas.

Renton Maclachlan
November 14th, 2020, 10:00 PM
Just a bit of an update on this v18 issue I have.

I have been in touch with Magix and they have replied...

I need some advice...

To fill in a bit of background. I bought v18 (which gave me also v17). v17 works on my machine but v18 won't even start.

As stated I have been in touch with Magix and they asked me to send my system stats. After I had done this they replied...

'Hello,

Thank you for the information. The most likely reason you're running into issues is because your system does not meet the specified requirements to run the program, specifically in the graphics area: https://www.vegascreativesoftware.com/us/vegas-pro/specifications/#productMenu

Best regards,'

Obviously the graphics area is critical to video editing.

My present graphics card is an

EVGA Nvidia Geforce GTX 570

and the requirements to run Vegas v18 is

NVIDIA® GeForce GTX or RTX 9XX series or higher with 4GB

All the other specs appear to be ok. At least I think they are.

Re processor I have:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2700k CPU @ 3.5GHz

I have 16gb RAM

Required is:

6th Generation Intel Core i5 (or AMD equivalent) or better. 2.5 Ghz and 4 Core minimum. For 4K, 7th Generation Intel Core i7 (or AMD equivalent) or better. 3.0 Ghz and 8 Core minimum.

I will not be using 4K video...

Sooo...it appears I either don't use v18 which I have paid for, or I get a new graphics card.

The latter is probably the way to go, so although I don't want to pay megabucks for one, I thought someone here may have some ideas about a solution...perhaps a recommendation re a suitable graphics card.

Renton

Graham Bernard
November 16th, 2020, 12:32 AM
Hi Renton. Before you “just” update your GPU, do more research. BTW what MS version are you currently using?

Here’s my Rig’s Speccs:

PC 10 64-bit 64gb * Intel® Core™i9 - 3.3GHz * 8 GB graphics card with 32 GB of shared NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070

As I say, you’re gonna need to get balancing the system so that there aren’t any bottlenecks.

Renton Maclachlan
November 16th, 2020, 03:32 AM
Thanks Graham. By ms are referring to windows? If so, win 10...64 bit...

Graham Bernard
November 16th, 2020, 04:17 AM
Thanks Graham. By ms are referring to windows? If so, win 10...64 bit...

Good to know.

Renton Maclachlan
November 17th, 2020, 03:36 PM
Any possibility of pointing me in the right direction re research? I don't know what a 'balanced system' means, though I can imagine what a bottleneck is where one piece of hardware slows everything down because it can't handle all the data required, whereas other pieces can. I get the impression that out of all my hardware, the GPU is the bottleneck, or at least simply cannot deal with v18's data flow...

Ron Coleman
December 2nd, 2020, 10:43 PM
Newer versions of Vegas will open projects from older versions of Vegas. Older versions of Vegas will not open projects from newer versions of Vegas. So, yes, you can open a project from version 14 in version 18 of Vegas.
Thanks, I decided to go ahead and upgrade to version 18. After opening a project I was working on using version 14, I noticed that some of the videos I was using in the older version look a little blurry in the preview window of the new version, but they look fine in the rendered video. I guess it's not a big deal as long as the rendered video looks good, but is there a reason they look blurry in the preview window? The newer clips I've imported look normal in the preview window.

Edward Troxel
December 7th, 2020, 02:31 PM
Are you using the same preview settings (Preview - Auto vs Best - Full for example).

Ron Coleman
December 8th, 2020, 12:03 AM
Thanks, I never noticed those settings for the preview window. It was set to Preview - Auto. I changed it to Preview - Best and it looks it looks a lot crisper.

Renton Maclachlan
January 19th, 2021, 03:14 AM
Well I have got v18 going at last ...with the help of a son in law.

The graphics card I had was below spec, so have upgraded to a GeForce GTX 1660 Super. That at least got that issue out of the way. However another issue appeared once the new card was installed. It appears that when Windows updates (full?) are done, that the system defaults to using the onboard graphics. Once that was disabled, v18 started fine...no trouble. Maybe I have been using the on board graphics for a while. As I recall, I had been having some issues with speed...so that could be the reason.

Now I have another issue. Just playing around with 18 and must have hit something...know not what, and my preview screen, Master Bus and project file windows have disappeared...and don't know how to get them back. I vaguely recall this happening one other time a long while ago but can't remember the solution. Anyone any clues?

Renton

Edit: Well there you go. I restarted the program and the windows are back. However I presume there is some way of get them back without restarting.

Edward Troxel
January 19th, 2021, 03:08 PM
Try: View - Window Layouts - Default Layout

Dale Guthormsen
January 20th, 2021, 05:27 PM
Edward,

Upgraded and its working fine, however?

I hate the black theme and I can't find a way to change it.

Will excalibur work in it? And, if so, sense I lost it with my last computer how would One regain it, or is it a repurchase?

Rainer Listing
January 20th, 2021, 05:40 PM
re interface, go to Options>Preferences>Display
Actually, the Vegas manual isn't bad, but they do need a comprehensive beginners guide.

Edward Troxel
January 22nd, 2021, 01:13 PM
There's four different color schemes in the options.

Excalibur works fine in VEGAS Pro 18. Just download the "14+" version.
Excalibur (http://www.jetdv.com/excalibur/home.php)