View Full Version : Displays people are going to use?

Mike Medavoy
November 3rd, 2005, 11:16 AM
Hi!

I expect many people to upgrade their systems from SD to HD once the camera is released (not all of the buyers but at least a good percentage).

I wonder what particular display you guys plan to add (maybe you already have). We have the Apple 23' Display, we have the DELL 2405FPW. We also have the Panasonic ones, etc etc - but I expect those two to be the most frequent choices of people.

Pros and cons? I wonder if people who have a MAC system will mainly go with the Apple one or will they choose another one.

PS Of course, if you own a system that supports dvcpro hd, you don't HAVE to buy a display necessarily. I expect many people to upgrade, though.

Paul Matwiy
November 3rd, 2005, 11:55 AM
Hi!

I expect many people to upgrade their systems from SD to HD once the camera is released (not all of the buyers but at least a good percentage).

I wonder what particular display you guys plan to add (maybe you already have).

I use a BenQ FP231W 23 in 16x10 as my primary computer monitor with a BenQ FP2091 20 in 4x3 for palettes and tools. Res is 1920x1200 for the primary and 1600x1200 for the secondary. Both are color calibrated to 6500K and the same light output. Final evaluation is done on a Runco 6501 CRT RPV (also calibrated). Hope that helps.

Jeff Kilgroe
November 3rd, 2005, 02:05 PM
The Dell 2405 displays are awesome - they have an exclusive contract with LG for this panel and it's (IMO) the top LCD out there in the 23~24" size. I don't think anyone can beat the price on these either... If you play Dell's coupon game, you can get the 2405 shipped to your door for under $820. The Apple 23" and the Sony 23" LCD displays are very nice too if you don't mind spending the extra money for a 1" smaller screen and lower dynamic range. IMO, the only reason to buy the Apple 23" display is if you're an Apple fanboy with product tunnelvision and/or you think your display MUST match your Mac. Nice monitor, but the Dell is even nicer and cheaper. Another good option that's more comparable to the Apple 23" is the Samsung 24". About the same price, brightness, etc.

Anyway, I'll be using a system with dual Dell 2405's as my primary system (dual core AMD 4800+, 7800GTX video, 2GB RAM, 1.2TB HDD array, DLT backup...). The system is already in use now in production, I just need the HVX200 to add to the whole shebang. I have other workstations/systems including a couple Macs and misc PCs. I also have an Apple 23" and one of those 24" Samsungs here too. I do screen testing and final color checks on our Mitsubishi WL-8213 (82" 1080p native LCOS) set. But this is far from perfect - poor contrast and bad ghosting/color bleeding like most older LCOS sets exhibit, but it does accept 1080p (and every lower i/p resolution) input over DVI. I'm also planning to get a 65~70" microdisplay TV for my home in the near future. Right now I'm planning to buy the 65" HP set as it has the best input features available (although its PIP is totally useless) and a very nice picture too with excellent contrast for a DLP (12K:1). I'm still waiting to see the new JVC D-ILA sets in person before I rule them out (should be in stores any day now). I will consider the JVC 70" if they support the 1080p inputs like HP does and if their contrast really is better (13K:1) and JVC will have had to solve their noise problem they have with their 720p D-ILA sets.

Steve House
November 3rd, 2005, 02:07 PM
I use a BenQ FP231W 23 in 16x10 as my primary computer monitor with a BenQ FP2091 20 in 4x3 for palettes and tools. Res is 1920x1200 for the primary and 1600x1200 for the secondary. Both are color calibrated to 6500K and the same light output. Final evaluation is done on a Runco 6501 CRT RPV (also calibrated). Hope that helps.

I think the Dell monitors are made by Benq (I know the 2001FP is) so I suspect the monitors you have are either the same as the Dell 2405FPW and 2001FP or so close as to not matter much. How does the colour rendition, etc, compare between your BenQs and the Runco - do you think the LCDs get you close enough or do you find you really must have the CRT? Given the incredibly high cost of HD CRTs or HD broadcast reference LCDs like the Sony Luma, I'm giving a lot of consideration to using a Dell 2405 for the timeline and previewing and my current 2001 for such duties as media folders and bins, pallettes, mixer panels, etc. and forgoing a CRT altogether for HDV editing.

Kevin Dooley
November 3rd, 2005, 02:47 PM
I'm pretty sure the Dell's are LG's like Jeff Kilgore said. The 2405 from Dell gets much, much, much better reviews than the Benq (from what I've seen) and has more features than the Benq, all at a lower price point.

Again, for the money, you can't seem to beat the Dell 2405...

Mike Medavoy
November 5th, 2005, 12:52 AM
If I already use an Apple system (G5+Apple Cinema Display), does it make more sense to go with the Apple 23' display instead of the Dell one? I am mostly talking about color matching, identical calibration, better overall intergration (theoretically).

On the other hand, we have the lower price/slightly better specs of the Dell display.

Advice?

Peter Richardson
November 5th, 2005, 02:30 AM
I will be getting the Dell and recently purchased a Sony KD-34XBR960 34" CRT HDTV specifically with this camera in mind. This set is supposedly the reference standard for non-pro TV's. Will prolly do color correction on my 14" Sony model. The Sony KD-34XBR960 can be had for a great price...no one wants to buy bulky old CRT's anymore and therefore it is heavily discounted--got mine, after a little bargaining at Circuit City, for 1600.

Peter

Derek Serra
November 6th, 2005, 11:43 AM
I've just bought the Sony Bravia XBR26 LCD, which is working very well with the HD signal I get from my Nvida PNY540 HD breakout box. I still use a Sony CRT for colour correction though.

Paul Matwiy
November 7th, 2005, 03:35 PM
How does the colour rendition, etc, compare between your BenQs and the Runco - do you think the LCDs get you close enough or do you find you really must have the CRT?

If color calibrated, the BenQs do a fine job and match closely the Runco. If I was doing serious pre-press work, I'd select one of the 4x3 NEC or Lacie monitors for the best color accuracy, but these exhibit high latency problems which bug me on moving video. BenQ has a 20 that measures 8ms total (5 up and 3 down). Our next test will be one of the 2k JVC D-ILA pro RPTV monitors. We've also looked at the 30 in Runco LCD, but it accepts HD resolutions only via the analog inputs. It is, however, ISF certified.

Matthew Wilson
November 14th, 2005, 02:52 AM
Anyway, I'll be using a system with dual Dell 2405's as my primary system (dual core AMD 4800+, 7800GTX video, 2GB RAM, 1.2TB HDD array, DLT backup...). The system is already in use now in production, I just need the HVX200 to add to the whole shebang.

Hey Jeff,
Just curious, what graphics card(s) are you running for your dual 2405's? I just got a 2405 and a 20" and ran into problems with my existing graphics card. It would run both monitors at high res, but after a few minutes it would reboot the system. BTW, I think you're right, the 2405 is a fabulous monitor and a remarkable deal.

thanks,
Matt

Jeff Kilgroe
November 14th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Hey Jeff,
Just curious, what graphics card(s) are you running for your dual 2405's? I just got a 2405 and a 20" and ran into problems with my existing graphics card. It would run both monitors at high res, but after a few minutes it would reboot the system. BTW, I think you're right, the 2405 is a fabulous monitor and a remarkable deal.

thanks,
Matt

It was somewhat ambiguously mentioned in my quick specs lisit... But I'm using an nVidia 7800GTX (from EVGA) with the dual 2405. Any decent nVidia 6600 or higher card will handle the job and all the good ones have dual DVI connectors. I try to avoid ATI cards as much as possible as I mostly do high-end 3D work and OpenGL development. The ATI cards aren't anywhere near as mature with their OpenGL support and they are targeted more at gamers. And this is what ATI's official statement is if you ever question them on "pro" OpenGL use. The only other cards I would consider are the 3DLabs offerings, however their highly inflated costs can't really be justified given the rate of advancement with current hardware. The more expensive 3DLabs cards, or even the somewhat more reasonable nVidia Quadro cards, don't (or at least not in my experience) provide proper return on the investment.

All that said, depending on what card you are using and with the problem you describe, it's probably fixable with proper driver installations and some system cleaning. Although, if you're not using something with dual DVI connectors, you may as well buy something new anyway.

Mike Medavoy
November 14th, 2005, 07:18 PM
Speaking of displays, can one still use the 7' Panasonic lcd display for framing when shooting HD with the HVX200? It's and SD display...

Kevin Dooley
November 14th, 2005, 08:21 PM
Speaking of displays, can one still use the 7' Panasonic lcd display for framing when shooting HD with the HVX200? It's and SD display...

I'm assuming you mean 7 inches, not feet-- and if it's the same one I have, sure, you can frame with it... but I wouldn't judge color or focus on it, since it's only half rez for SD and I can't do either of those on it now, and I haven't even hit HD with it yet...

Daymon Hoffman
November 15th, 2005, 02:09 AM
RE: Dell FPW 2405's... The Panels are made by Samsung, everything else is Dell. The higher quality panels are kept by Samsung (we believe) for their 24" Display which has recently come out (finally a long wait after the Dell). But its at a steeper price. I've had a 2405 for a good 8 months or so now. Great monitor without a doubt. And thats taking into consideration 'us' paying the oh-so-steep-compared-to-US 1700AUD price. :)

One thing is for sure... you certianly notice those compression artifacts. HDV... eek! Bring on the HVX :)

Erwin Keizer
November 15th, 2005, 07:48 AM
In my simple home setup I use a 24" Samsung (1920x1200, color calibrated) as main monitor and a Dell W1900 (1280x768) for preview.

Very happy with it, works like a charm.

Regards,
Erwin

Mike Medavoy
November 15th, 2005, 10:58 AM
Can you properly calibrate any of those LCDs? With a test signal let's say. You know, pluge and all of that.

Jeff Kilgroe
November 15th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Yeah, I guess they could be Samsung... Not that I'm going to disassemble my 2405's to find out. I have a couple older Samsung 243T displays on some of our workstations and one on my system at home... Very nice display even though it's only 250cd/m brightness and 500:1 contrast. Not quite on par with the 1000:1 of the 2405 and newest Samsung units.

As for seeing those compression artifacts, all I can say is, Yep! These monitors are so sharp that they show every little flaw in the video/images you're working with. I love 'em. :)

RE: Dell FPW 2405's... The Panels are made by Samsung, everything else is Dell. The higher quality panels are kept by Samsung (we believe) for their 24" Display which has recently come out (finally a long wait after the Dell). But its at a steeper price. I've had a 2405 for a good 8 months or so now. Great monitor without a doubt. And thats taking into consideration 'us' paying the oh-so-steep-compared-to-US 1700AUD price. :)

One thing is for sure... you certianly notice those compression artifacts. HDV... eek! Bring on the HVX :)

Daymon Hoffman
November 15th, 2005, 04:03 PM
In my simple home setup I use a 24" Samsung (1920x1200, color calibrated) as main monitor and a Dell W1900 (1280x768) for preview.

Very happy with it, works like a charm.

Regards,
Erwin

Erwin, how do you find teh Samy's stand, portrait and landscape? The dell's has a slight tilt one way when in landscape (i.e. not fully paralelle to the desk in landscape) due to its stand (possibly fixed in rev 2 monitors).

Yay 100 posts :P