View Full Version : UWOL - 56 Time to Reflect

Mick Jenner
February 1st, 2021, 08:45 AM
UWOL 56 "Time to Reflect" by Mick Jenner on Vimeo

Hi all. Was't sure how to play this one. In the end went for the mindfulness approach and how nature helps us cope, well for Pat and I anyway, and the positivity that comes from immersing yourself in it during the pandemic.
I hung on to almost the closing date hoping to get snow scenes of "The Woods" but didn't happen, so went for the positive signs that springs on its way giving hope for the future even if it is a wet and miserable day. Hope you enjoy.

Mick

Bob Safay
February 2nd, 2021, 06:28 AM
Mick, how lucky you are to live so close to a private preserve. You did such a good job of showing us that there is hope for a day without Covid-19 being ever present. I was fascinated by those little birds being raised in the little bit of loose bark, is that typical for that species? You have a great voice of narrating your videos. Also, I really liked that portable filming blind you set up. Great job. Bob

Trond Saetre
February 2nd, 2021, 07:56 AM
Hi Mick,

Nice film! As Bob said, good to have your private park to use.
At 1:02: Those small bird houses are popular here too. We had to make them in school.

Maybe you could increase the sound volume of your VO a little bit? Sometimes it felt a little too low compared to the background sounds.

All in all, a good entry!
Well done!

Bob Safay
February 2nd, 2021, 08:14 AM
One question. Is that like a community owned preserve?

Mick Jenner
February 2nd, 2021, 10:40 AM
Hi Bob and Trond, thanks for watching and for you comments.

Bob, treecreepers nest are almost always in crevices behind loose bark on trees. All seems rather precarious to me but seems to work for them. In this case the bark was completely detached just wedged in the damaged area.

This is the first time I have found a nest so close to the ground they are normally much higher. Both the treecreeper's and nuthatch''s climb trees in similar ways to searching for grubs etc but unlike the nuthatch who climbs up and down the tree the treecreeper only climbs up then flies back down to the base. Hence the rather unique behavior of this pair landing above the nest, then climbing down to enter it.
Incidentally when the young fledged they climbed from the nest, up the trunk into the canopy rather than fly off.

The woodlands concerned are privately owned by two different friends of ours. "The Woods" is approx three acres, the owner keeping as a natural area with small rides cut through and has some bee hives located there.. The owner of the other woodland where I erected the hide is approx 5 acres, has a small organic vegetable garden in the centre, as well as free range chicken and geese. Again the woodland is managed with wildlife in mind. We are very lucky to be allowed free access as and when to film there.

Here's a link to the company that makes the Blind or Hide as we call them. https://wildlifewatchingsupplies.co.uk/products/c30-1-large-dome-hide

LeRoy Gunderson
February 2nd, 2021, 02:16 PM
What a great place to escape and do some filming. I could spend a whole day there. I enjoyed your film very much as always. Covid has really put a damper on our getting away to enjoy spots more distant from our house but hopefully better days are ahead.

Irmelinn Olsen
February 5th, 2021, 12:28 PM
𝕀𝕥 𝕨𝕒𝕤 𝕒 𝕟𝕚𝕔𝕖 𝕧𝕚𝕕𝕖𝕠 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕙𝕒𝕧𝕖 𝕞𝕒𝕕𝕖